Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 273 of 322 FirstFirst ... 263 272 273 274 283 ... LastLast
Results 6,801 to 6,825 of 8034

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 6 (2011)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    If stores have black friday sales from, say midnight-8 AM (8 hours), why can't they just have them during normal hours, say 8am -4 pm? It's the same amount of time and you get to let your employees have thanksgiving off. I really, really, don't understand black friday. We've never gone out early and my guess is we never will.
    I think one store decided to start earlier to have a competitive advantage and then all the others followed suit. No no ones at an advantage. But that's the way things go.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I really enjoy the top bar with changing themes... reminds me of the Google homepage... I like a splash of change every now and then.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by zman View post
    I drank some beers tonight.... And had a splash of rye whiskey...
    Well, after those "nice" compliments from your former co-workers, I can't say I blame you. Next time you see them, maybe you'll want to point out all the grey hairs on their head or something.

I am really hoping for a quiet day. I'm trying to finish up some marketing materials, and then I need to do some baking for tomorrow.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    And yet another study has been done which demonstrates that folks who get their news from FOX are consistently the most misinformed (some might say willfully). I guess critical thinking or skepticism are characteristics that don't rate highly in the Believers Club.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    And yet another study has been done which demonstrates that folks who get their news from FOX are consistently the most misinformed (some might say willfully). I guess critical thinking or skepticism are characteristics that don't rate highly in the Believers Club.
    I think that is the catch 22 of Fox News. They want to build base and make money... but are doing it in a news type format. It really is a unique situation. I think that if they told both sides of the story, or covered stories other than what their base want to hear... they would probably get lower ratings, and less people would watch.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Is it OK to brag just a little bit ?
    I just found out that I am co-listed on a document in The Library of Congress card catalog.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    I just found out that I am co-listed on a document in The Library of Congress card catalog.
    Kewl! Congrats!!

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Our phones are ringing off the hook today. I am not in the mood for this
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I love when fellow employees assume they are working half a day because it's the day before a holiday and then email the boss (she's been sick last few days and they all think she isn't here-she's at another office this morning) telling her it's a half day. Boss calls me and asks did I know it was a half day...and I said "Not until I am told it is a half day, as far as I know it's a regular workday!" Guess who gets to go home early and guess who doesn't

People are stupid.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    I love when fellow employees assume they are working half a day because it's the day before a holiday and then email the boss (she's been sick last few days and they all think she isn't here-she's at another office this morning) telling her it's a half day. Boss calls me and asks did I know it was a half day...and I said "Not until I am told it is a half day, as far as I know it's a regular workday!" Guess who gets to go home early and guess who doesn't

People are stupid.
    The way I got today off is to put it on the office vacation calendar back in January, and having the history of taking it off for the past 15 yrs.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    I'm listed on a document in our state library... but yours is far more prestigious.

Oddly, that same document can be found on Google Books - even though it's merely a short report, not a book.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    We were running late this morning.
    I helped Zwife get Zboy dressed and into the car.
    I got my gym bag together and was going to lift before work.
    I had to be in the office 1/2 hour early and was running even more late because I couldn't find my socks.
    As I cursed the misplacement of my good socks (I am picky) and stormed around the house, I looked toward the front door.

I saw two old Labradors sitting pretty and looking up at me.

I figured I would stop my franticness, take a breath and then take the dogs to the park instead.

....and that, my friends, was the wiser choice.

I feel much better now.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Those looking for a good laugh should Google image search "divorce cake"

(interesting, it seems virtually all of them have a "her giving him the heave-ho" theme and not vice versa - what does that suggest?)

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Unfriend! You're fired!

Just zapped someone on FB. One of the long-distance never-met not-much-in-common types. Honey, if you can snark, "So what? I don't know hold old you are, but personally I think it's reassuring to hear that there are others who aren't experts on EVERYTHING like you seem to be..." you and I really aren't friends.

(We "met" in sympathy over our mutual friend losing his son to brain cancer.)

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ View post
    Our phones are ringing off the hook today. I am not in the mood for this

Really? It's freaking dead around here, I'm so bored I may have to start a new project.

Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Just zapped someone on FB. One of the long-distance never-met not-much-in-common types. Honey, if you can snark, "So what? I don't know hold old you are, but personally I think it's reassuring to hear that there are others who aren't experts on EVERYTHING like you seem to be..." you and I really aren't friends.

LOL, she was pretty snarky to you.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    I'd probably turn it down/reduce it, but that is just me.
    Trust me, I wanted to but my Director (who just had his first child in mid-October) is being sympathetic and ultimately will let her take it. The tone of her request was very manipulative and entitled. That makes it burn that much more.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Continuing soap opera on FB

Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    LOL, she was pretty snarky to you.
    She recently had a medical scare and mentioned the concept of "surviving past 47." I can be empathetic and send good thoughts from a distance. Waiting to see if her hubby (who is a cyclist) zaps me.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post

I saw that comment and thought it was out of line and had zero to do with the intent of the original post. No big loss IMHO.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I drank some beers tonight.... And had a splash of rye whiskey...

Rye whiskey, Rye whiskey. I must have my rye. If I don't have rye whiskey I surely will die!
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2005

Emotional Eating

I just ate a Devil Dog and it was delicious. I'm considering going back for another.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Another shooting in DeKalb, IL. This time, it was one-on-one. Two guys arguing at a huge party in an off-campus apartment. One shoots the other one...the victim is dead. Basically, bringing the south-side-Chicago violence out to DeKalb.

I just hate hearing from people who say that the violence makes NIU a bad school. It is not. It still has great programs and is highly-ranked in areas such as business/finance, accounting, art & music, education, nursing, public administration, chemistry, GIS, and so many other areas. We also have great athletic programs and strong student organizations. In addition, the campus is still beautiful and there are a lot of great people here and DeKalb still has a great social and cultural scene with plenty of things to do. Unfortunately, a string of unrelated isolated incidents of violent crime and a major shooting have a way of causing people to view a place as terrible.

A lot of college towns have problems with crime. That's what happens when you put so many young people, many of which have no understanding of the consequences of their actions, in one place. And it becomes exacerbated when the town is an outpost of a major metro area and has a lot of low-income people who live there due to the low costs. And unfortunately, some of those people in bad situations get involved in criminal activity.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    . . . And it becomes exacerbated when the town is an outpost of a major metro area and has a lot of low-income people who live there due to the low costs. And unfortunately, some of those people in bad situations get involved in criminal activity.
    Yeah, damn poor people. Why don't they go into the banking bizness or home loans? That is where the Benjamins is at, beyootch. Bets the hell out of selling nickel bags or boosting a Honda. Bank of America don't need no gun to steal, Them lazy welfare mofos oughta buys them some congressmen, yo. I's gots to give them the white collars their propers. Them is my homeys.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Yeah, damn poor people. Why don't they go into the banking bizness or home loans? That is where the Benjamins is at, beyootch. Bets the hell out of selling nickel bags or boosting a Honda. Bank of America don't need no gun to steal, Them lazy welfare mofos oughta buys them some congressmen, yo. I's gots to give them the white collars their propers. Them is my homeys.
    I am in no way blaming poor people as a whole. I'm blaming the few that have caused problems like this. The vast majority of poor people out there manage to make it through life without killing somone, raping someone, or stealing from someone. I don't know why a select few have to resort to extreme measures.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Nov 2009
    We were running late this morning.
    I helped Zwife get Zboy dressed and into the car.
    I got my gym bag together and was going to lift before work.
    I had to be in the office 1/2 hour early and was running even more late because I couldn't find my socks.
    As I cursed the misplacement of my good socks (I am picky) and stormed around the house, I looked toward the front door.

I saw two old Labradors sitting pretty and looking up at me.

I figured I would stop my franticness, take a breath and then take the dogs to the park instead.

....and that, my friends, was the wiser choice.

I feel much better now.
    This totally made my morning! I bet it made your puppy's mornings too!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jul 2002

Me

WALSTIB

Closed thread
Page 273 of 322 FirstFirst ... 263 272 273 274 283 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 9326
    Last post: 31 Dec 2012, 8:06 PM