Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 3 of 322 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 6 (2011)

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Yes on all counts - so bizarre

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    oh man, I hate saboteurs
    Oh man I'm gonna get it for this comment, but let me guess. The saboteur or sabateurs are women?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    one of each - we don't discriminate

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I guestimated my federal return and it looks like I will break even or get a couple hundred back. The feds got dodgy with the child tax credit this year...you only get it if your kid is under 17 at year end and guess who turned 17 this year Ah well.
    WHAT! Really! Say it is not so. Heck we still claimed two last year. They should not be able to do that without giving people some kind of heads up. Tax me if you must but give me a chance to get it to you without throwing me a curveball.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I have decided to get a new moped!!! I have never owned one before and I'm having trouble deciding between 2 models.

The first is a used Piaggio Vespa for about $3,500.00. It has a 150 cc engine, which is cool because I could take it on the expressway/highway and use it to get around the island outside of just the city, though I don't actually plan on doing so.

The second is an Islander for about $1,100.00. It has a 50 cc engine, which is cool because it won't require a motorcycle license or special insurance.

Both options get around 75 miles per gallon

Has anyone who has ever owned such a mode of transportation help me decide or give me tips?
    I've owned a handful of motorcycles and have a few friends with mopeds/scooters. My recommendation is to get the larger displacement engine, particularly if you think you and your partner will ever want to ride together on it (and you probably will in the Hawaii weather and because Vespas are are hoot to cruise around on). It will also help with any steep grades, which are a likely issue with any scenic rides around Honolulu and likely has a larger frame/seat to strap things like groceries to. Additionally, it is in your best interest to take the motorcycle safety course and get a legit MC license. You will learn a lot and it will make you a more confident and technically-skilled rider. Also, it'll get you a discount on your insurance. Finally, you may not be planning to get on the expressway, but my guess is that you will have a need to periodically.

That said, I should mention that I'm a fan of high-displacement motorcycle engines on lightweight motorcylces, so I always gravitate toward the larger engine option.

I also prefer the Vespa brand... I'm not familiar with "Islander" at all, but three of my friends have Vespas and have had minimal, if any, maintenance/mechanical issues. I'm especially inclined to go for the trendier Vespa since you have a secure place to store it.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    one of each - we don't discriminate
    lol. At my work there are a bunch of sabatuers but they are all women. And they only sabotage each other. Its pretty sad really.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Top Ten Stans in Sports History, courtesy of the Onion Sports Network.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Additionally, it is in your best interest to take the motorcycle safety course and get a legit MC license.
    I just found out that in New York, a motorcycle license is required to ride a scooter.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I just found out that in New York, a motorcycle license is required to ride a scooter.
    Hence the reason our scooter is currently sitting in the garage and requires a jump-start every 6 months.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    In Wisconsin, those little scooters are registered as 'Mopeds' and only require a valid class 'D' driving license (*NO* 'M' endorsement).

Mike

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B View post
    WHAT! Really! Say it is not so. Heck we still claimed two last year. They should not be able to do that without giving people some kind of heads up. Tax me if you must but give me a chance to get it to you without throwing me a curveball.
    The cutoff has been 17 for at least 4 years. We discovered that when our older children turned 17 (4 years ago).

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    lol. At my work there are a bunch of sabatuers but they are all women. And they only sabotage each other. Its pretty sad really.
    ummmmm, when did we start working at the same place?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Top Ten Stans in Sports History, courtesy of the Onion Sports Network.
    The Stanford Tree always makes me laugh!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon View post
    The cutoff has been 17 for at least 4 years. We discovered that when our older children turned 17 (4 years ago).
    Or in college. I got burned a few years back because I read it as 17 and under rather than underr 17.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I really don't want to fan this flame, but I agree with Ima. I've seen the same thing in other places I've worked.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    My recommendation is to get the larger displacement engine, particularly if you think you and your partner will ever want to ride together on it (and you probably will in the Hawaii weather and because Vespas are are hoot to cruise around on). It will also help with any steep grades, which are a likely issue with any scenic rides around Honolulu and likely has a larger frame/seat to strap things like groceries to...
    Very good points! It is particularly hilly around these parts and we would definitely want to be riding together at some point. The Vespa will also fetch a better price when we decide to leave the islands, plus they are just super cute!

Now I just need to get down to the DMV so I can get my motorcycle learners permit and start scooting around

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Indio in the Coachella Valley.
    Nice spot. I have a condo there,

Quote Originally posted by Queen B View post
    I think it's been that way for awhile. In fact, I almost recall it happening when my son who's 22 turned 18. I could be wrong. But I know I lost it last year for sure.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I can understand that the feedback is useful to the consultants but I don't like having to call consultants and tell them why we didn't choose them. I don't like confrontation and I don't like to disappoint people.
    The feedback is useful. Especially when the consultant thinks he or she did a great job on the proposal, has all the requisite experience, etc.

It sucks to lose. As one of my business partners and I often say, there is no prize for second place.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I can understand that the feedback is useful to the consultants but I don't like having to call consultants and tell them why we didn't choose them.
    I think you should always call and provide feedback as MP said. It helps with finding out ways to improve and in my former case, whom to blame for blowing the proposal **cough cough** marketing **cough cough**
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    The feedback is useful. Especially when the consultant thinks he or she did a great job on the proposal, has all the requisite experience, etc.

It sucks to lose. As one of my business partners and I often say, there is no prize for second place.
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    I think you should always call and provide feedback as MP said. It helps with finding out ways to improve and in my former case, whom to blame for blowing the proposal **cough cough** marketing **cough cough**
    yes, but people that work in government get paranoid that we'll be sued if we tell why - my town has a policy that we are not allowed to communicate thereafter, we can't even give references!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I really don't want to fan this flame, but I agree with Ima. I've seen the same thing in other places I've worked.
    I didn't see it as much where I worked, but my mom has had to deal with it at most places she's worked. She refuses to participate in the backstabbing, sabatoging, and kiniving, which has led to her changing jobs fairly frequently.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I have the munchies and an ear worm...

Laughing like children
    Living like lovers
    Rolling like thunder under the covers
    And I guess that's why
    They call it the blues

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I can understand that the feedback is useful to the consultants but I don't like having to call consultants and tell them why we didn't choose them. I don't like confrontation and I don't like to disappoint people.
    Me too! Its one of the things i dread most, especially if it is close between consultants
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    May 2005
    I have the munchies and an ear worm...

Laughing like children
    Living like lovers
    Rolling like thunder under the covers
    And I guess that's why
    They call it the blues
    Great song!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    If you were a tree, what sort of tree would you be?

Closed thread
Page 3 of 322 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 9326
    Last post: 31 Dec 2012, 8:06 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141