Urban planning community

Poll results: Are you attending the 2011 APA Confrence ?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I am - Cost be damn

8 22.22%
  • Considering / Maybe / I don't know

11 30.56%
  • NO - Cost to much $,$$$

13 36.11%
  • NO - don't need AICP CM Hrs

0 0%
  • Other

4 11.11%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 APA National Conference in Boston, MA

Pete's Steak and Sub, Northshore Road and Beach Street...........the steak melts in your mouth...........

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Which session ?
    tourism, plus a facilitated workshop on economic development with our very own TOFB (we are thinking of having it be like a Dick Cavette show) - plus i have lots of division doings

laefest Saturday night would be great or Tuesday - already booked Sunday and Monday night

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Can't swing the convention (as I am currently unemployed) but count me in for the laefest

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I'll be there and am looking forward to it.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Maybe...we have the funds, but I have a wife with 3 little boys at home and I don't know it's right for me to leave her alone like that for a weekend.

But from my employer's perspective, I could save alot of money, because I could probably stay with friends in Cambridge for free.

I really love Boston, but so does my wife and a jealous stay at home wife is not something I want.
    Last edited by mendelman; 04 Jan 2011 at 11:32 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Quote Originally posted by johnelsden View post
    Dunkin Donuts is every three blocks...........
    Uh, not to be nitpicky, but Rhode Island has a DD every three blocks. In Boston, we space them at least 4-5 blocks apart - unless there is a need for more.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    I wish I could go. I could stay with friends in Revere (who I just asked about the cheesesteaks, lol) and eliminate travel costs but even the registrations costs are too steep for our budget right now.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    As a history buff, I would really like to go to this one, but I don't think it's going to happen. I've got enough CM credit to carry me over. I'll have to go to LA for my CM, but it looks like I'm gonna have to pass on Boston.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Going, speaking, running 2 Mobile Workshops. Last time I went was Philly in 2007 - before that it might have been Boston in 1998. The ones farther from home are hard, financially and logistically, to fit in. So I am looking forward to it.

Registered
    Nov 2009

Sheesh!

Why does Boston have to be so far away from Honolulu?
    I would LOVE to go! Maybe next year when it is a few thousand miles closer to home.

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Why does Boston have to be so far away from Honolulu?
    Every year in early Spring, when the weather is still cold, I ask myself the same thing.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Despite it being within commuting distance, I already used up my portion of the prof dev budget in September at a 4 day Econ Dev workshop.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2007
    I am considering it, but I am surprised how quickly the block of rooms APA has set aside is disappearing. I am sure by the time my organization decides if I will go the only rooms available will be a good distance from the Convention Center. I haven't been to Boston since high school so it would be nice to go back.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Hotel rooms are not a big issue in Boston if you are willing to commute in on the T. Most hotels anywhere near a T line have shuttles to the T, For the Hynes I'd recommend looking out in Newton along 128 (sorry, I-95) or up in Medford/Somerville along the Orange Line (although then you would have to change lines, but its not that hard.) April is a good time of year to stay in one of these farther-out hotels as well.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    I am considering it, but I am surprised how quickly the block of rooms APA has set aside is disappearing. I am sure by the time my organization decides if I will go the only rooms available will be a good distance from the Convention Center. I haven't been to Boston since high school so it would be nice to go back.
    I wouldn't worry too much if you are. I've always thought that Boston was one of the easiest places to get around with public transport. T-lines seem to go everywhere and even as a young woman, I rarely feel unsafe traveling around the city when I go.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I am looking forward to going this year. Lobster rolls will be my reward after the conference and presentation.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi View post
    I am looking forward to going this year. Lobster rolls will be my reward after the conference and presentation.
    I bet nobody will let you use their hotel bathroom, take you to dinner at some fancy-smancy Brazilian eat-at-you-can steak house, and walk you back to your car in the rain.

Beat that, Cyburbians!!

Oh, she drove me back to my hotel. Thanks, TN.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I bet nobody will let you use their hotel bathroom, take you to dinner at some fancy-smancy Brazilian eat-at-you-can steak house, and walk you back to your car in the rain.

Beat that, Cyburbians!!

Oh, she drove me back to my hotel. Thanks, TN.
    I am familiar with hotel bathrooms and steak houses. But pray tell, what is this place to pahk your cah you speak of? Who has enough money to afford such a thing?
    Last edited by Gotta Speakup; 06 Jan 2011 at 11:34 AM.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi View post
    Woo hoo! Let the fun begin.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    There is a strong possibility I will be going, most likely under a cost sharing arrangement.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2009
    I sure hope all that snow the Boston area keeps getting is finished by April. But as its New England, you never know..........

The latest big snow storm in Boston was the April Fools storm of 1997.

But I am saving a freezer full of snowballs in case anyone gets out of line during the conference

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Registered today. Now to find a hotel.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Just registered. A lot more on my plate this go-around, including AICP exam prep workshop and city-directed (i.e. I didn't have a big say in) sessions (though I did get to pick a few).

Can't wait! There is so much going on. It was hard to narrow the schedule down.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 21 Feb 2011, 8:49 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Aug 2009, 1:53 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 Nov 2008, 8:06 PM
  4. National Conference Attire
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21