Urban planning community

Poll results: Are you attending the 2011 APA Confrence ?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I am - Cost be damn

8 22.22%
  • Considering / Maybe / I don't know

11 30.56%
  • NO - Cost to much $,$$$

13 36.11%
  • NO - don't need AICP CM Hrs

0 0%
  • Other

4 11.11%
+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: 2011 APA National Conference in Boston, MA

One funny thing that happened:

I left the conference to go home Monday afternoon - I had a couple of phone calls to make and the email was piling up.

I walk into the center open area of my apartment complex and there was a bus and about 2 dozen people with APA badges and a tour guide. So I asked a woman on the edge of the group what this was all about. She says, very nicely, "This is the American Planning Association. We are planners." I pulled out my badge to show her I knew about the conference. Turns out this was an affordable housing tour. One of my neighbors saw another tour on Sunday.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Brownstones would have been nice. Had to balance the conference with Dad duties and night meetings later in the week. Besides, I would have had to have worn a mask in the picture to protect my anonymity.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I was there but didn't have any time to hang out - it seemed to me that the sessions were over capacity much of the time and you had to sprint from session to session if you wanted to get a seat. I tried listening in to a couple of them from the back of the room but had to strain to hear what was being said. I was staying out in the suburbs so I had to leave immediately after the last session each day to get up to North Station for the train ride home.

I enjoyed chatting with the grad students in the exhibit hall who were showing off the maps they had created - so much intelligence, energy and enthusiasm for the profession.They deserve better than what the field has to offer them at the moment.

Overall, I thought it was pretty good - it lifted me spirits to be among so many smart and dedicated planning professionals for a couple of days. Planners are a better looking bunch than I thought we would be... I expected to see lots of frumpy ladies and overweight dudes in polo shirts. This was really not the case, especially among the former.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    ... it seemed to me that the sessions were over capacity much of the time...
    As was the tiny men's room.

+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 21 Feb 2011, 9:49 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Aug 2009, 2:53 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 Nov 2008, 9:06 PM
  4. National Conference Attire
    Friday Afternoon Club