Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: UMich's "planning" program not in its planning school

Registered
    Nov 2010

UMich's "planning" program not in its planning school

UMich's School of Natural Resources and Environment (SNRE) provides a master program having a specialization in "Environmental Policy and Planning". Anyone familiar with this program?

Are there huge differences between this degree and the planning degree provided by UMich's planning school?

What are the strengths of each program?

I will contact the schools, but I also like to hear the opinions from insiders if there are. Thanks in advance!

Registered
    Sep 2006
    I'm a current urban planning student at Michigan, and maybe I can help.

The urban planning program is its own department, where you earn a MUP or a PhDURP. It is housed within the Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning, and has a variety of concentrations available: transportation, urban design and physical planning, land use and environment, housing and community development, and planning in developing countries. The focus of the program overall is a strong base in theories and history of the built environment, and applying that knowledge in writing and designing the future of our cities and regions.

SNRE is a different program housed in its own college. There are a lot of people who earn dual degrees in both, but depending on what you're interested in, this may or may not be necessary. SNRE has a range of concentrations as well, and while many may relate to or overlap with aspects urban planning, thats not directly what the program's focus is.

I think you need to consider what about the built and natural environments interest you, look at the core required classes in each program, and go from there. There are many opportunities to take classes in SNRE if you are a MUP and visa versa, but the central focus, philosophies, and goals of the degree are very different.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2010
    Batmanda, I've exchanged emails with Gavin Shatkin. This has made me more interested in Michigan. How strong are the international opportunities and links at the Taubman College? Are there any students doing dual-degrees with the engineering department?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 30 Sep 2009, 9:27 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 03 Jun 2008, 9:57 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 10 Mar 2006, 12:12 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 14 Jun 2005, 3:10 PM