Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cornell students: housing leads in Ithace needed

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Cornell students: housing leads in Ithace needed

I'm going to be moving from Buffalo to Ithaca in December or January, to start a new job in the area.

The easy part was finding work. The hard part is finding housing. Ithaca is somewhat pricey, relative to the rest of upstate New York. Because of the massive student population, the vast majority of apartments have August-to-July leases; most of the ads I'm finding advertise 8-2011 or 8-2012 occupancy. Also, very few landlords allow pets, and even fewer allow dogs.

I'm looking for a clean two bedroom or three bedroom apartment, townhouse or house (1200'2 or larger); preferably within walking or biking distance to The Commons (where I'll be working), but will consider outlying areas for exceptional rentals. I'm looking to start occupancy in December or January. My ideal rental range is $900-$1250/month.

I'm a neat, clean non-smoker who will be the only human occupant. I have two sweet, well-behaved and relatively quiet Portuguese Water Dogs (11 y.o spayed female, 12 y/o neutered male, each about 60 pounds). PWDs are hypoallergenic and non-shedding. Bo, President Obama's dog, is a PWD.

I'm a responsible landlord myself. I still own one of my former residences, a large house in suburban Cleveland, that is professionally managed. I have renter's insurance.

Have any thoughts or leads? Share them here, or send them to cyburba (at) cyburbia (dot) org. Yes, I've been searching on Craigslist and other sites. Thanks!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    You'll want to be looking for places in or near Downtown, or maybe the Ithaca College area, which is nearby. Those are among the cheaper parts of town, so it shouldn't be too hard to find something in your price range there. Avoid Collegetown, which is very expensive and full of Cornell undergrads. Looking at Craigslist just now, it doesn't look like it'll be very useful, since the places on it are almost entirely Collegetown and outlying communities to the east and north, presumably since it's used mostly by Cornell students. Sorry I don't have any more specific advice or leads; I've been away from Ithaca for a few years.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    Besides Craigslist, Ithaca Housing Solutions is also a good place to look. It costs a little bit of money, but allows you to do much better customized searches.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Thanks!

Just an update: I'm taking over a student lease for a townhouse (1150 sq ft) near the Cornell vet school, about a 10 minute drive to The Commons. The lease is up at the end of July, which puts me on the student rental cycle, making finding a new place easier if a better place happens to come up. I'll probably buy a house in Ithaca this year or next, depending on what happens.

Thinking about it, Collegetown has its charms. It's a very dense, pedestrian-oriented neighborhood filled with decent restaurants and shops, and my commute would be a short walk (or sled ride!) down Buffalo Avenue to work. Quite a bit more impressive than The Drag in Austin, University Hill in Boulder, and Coventry in Cleveland Heights. I'd probably feel out-of-place, though, being a middle-aged guy with SUNY degrees.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    Collegetown does have its charms, but every year you are rolling the dice on the neighbors (quiet, respectful? insane?)

Realistically speaking, Ithaca is so small that anywhere "in-town" is in easy walking distance of downtown/Collegetown. I would look at the Belle Sherman area - very close to Collegetown, but with many professors/professionals/homeowners. I am also a huge fan of Fall Creek, especially within easy striking distance of Gimme Coffee and the Commons.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Looking for leads for article on workforce housing
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Apr 2011, 2:25 PM
  2. Using a rejection to look for job leads?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 11 Apr 2011, 4:40 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:50 AM
  4. and the sidewalk leads....
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 11 Dec 2003, 9:13 AM
  5. Students and Loan, Housing Prices
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 0