Why do military base-adjacent towns so crummy? The only military towns I've been to that seem even halfway livable are Colorado Springs and Leavenworth, Kansas. Albuquerque, New Mexico, a city I enjoy, has Kirtland AFB, but it's really a minor presence in the area. Otherwise, the other ones I've visited seemed like armpits to me.
* Alamogordo, New Mexico (Holloman AFB)
* Havelock, North Carolina (Cherry Point)
* Jacksonville, North Carolina (Camp LeJeune)
* El Paso, Texas (Fort Bliss)
* Clovis, New Mexico (Cannon AFB)
* Valdosta, Georgia (Moody AFB)
* Cheyenne, Wyoming (Warren AFB)
* Goldsboro, North Carolina (Johnson AFB)
Check out the Gallery for some Alamogordo photos.