Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Location, Location, Location

Location, Location, Location

I'm a relatively recent graduate with a MURP and a B.S. Geography. I have no real desire or reason to live in the area I went to graduate school in, but now because of the economy I find myself in another metropolitan area that I really do not want to be in over the long term.

While I am continuing my search for a professional job (and an "I Need Cash" job somewhere), I'm beginning to wonder if I should just pick the location I believe I want to be and move there as soon as possible. That way I could more easily network, perform local volunteering, and so forth.

Does this seem logical? I'm not going to pass up a planning opportunity, especially for the experience, but if I'm having to work outside the field it seems that having the informal opportunities in the area of choice would be desirable.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    At this point, I would stay as flexible as possible. Keep the net wide and your options open. Even if you want to end up some place in the future, right now you need to find that job. Personally, I would just apply all over, and hope you get something. In 3-5 years after you have a little experience and the job market is better (fingers crossed) you can start thinking about where you really want to settle down.

Who knows you might end up somewhere that you thought you wouldn't like and really want to stay... Good luck!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    To me it sounds logical - I stuck around where I went to grad school, and have been here for 10 years ... at first I had an internship, then my wife was in school, then I had a job with the agency where I interned, now my network is mainly here ... true I did have a couple chances to move to another region so that's not to say you'll be "stuck" somewhere.

If you're unemployed where you are, and will be unemployed where you want to live, why not move? You can network there, maybe if you want to brush up on skills, take a grad class and get to know people, do info interviews, seek out alums of your grad school who have moved there, work part-time for $ while doing an unpaid internship. You can still apply all over from your new location. Unless the new location has a drastically worse economy or limited job market, or a terribly high cost of living that will put you further in debt, I can't see any real downsides. You might have a somewhat larger network where you are to start out, if grads from your program stick around, but it seems people are pretty mobile and that can be re-established.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Assuming you have negligible debt or other financial issues (i.e. parent or guardian where you could live on the cheap) in favor of staying where you're at currently, if you're going to be stuck having to get "a job" rather than pursue your planning career, you might as well do it where you would eventually like to end up. I would echo Hink's advice, though, about staying flexible in case a planning position comes up someplace that's not where you would like to end up. In that case, I'd go for the work experience and then try to get back where you want to be later in your career.

I am not currently where I would like to end up. In fact, I strongly dislike the Austin area. However, for the time being I'm staying put to gain experience, and that which I've already had has been invaluable.

Thanks all for acting as a good sounding board. I'm currently not in a situation where I am saddled with a ton of debt other than student loans, do not have property or many possessions in general.

Guess its time to do a bit of saving, job searching, and soul searching!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    One thing to consider may be your school's local alumni/faculty network. It may be that they can be more helpful for you to find employment locally, unless they're a nationally-oriented type of place.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 10 Mar 2009, 11:20 AM
  2. Job vs location?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Mar 2008, 10:35 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 21 Apr 2007, 2:52 PM
  4. Location of your office?
    Friday Afternoon Club