Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Why are AICP/APA dues insane?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Well.....

Like I've said before, the last two places I worked have charged a 10% fee on top of certain permits, to cover the cost of professional membership dues, education and mandatory training. Of course, as a Country we have been moving away from a system that places importance on silly things like continuing education and professional membership.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Stay Classy APA

So I was greated today 4-18 by my annual renewal letter from APA. I owe $467 for my dues and was invited to attend the National Conference on April 9-12. The letter is dated March 2011, the envelope was dated April 14, 2011
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    ....... I owe $467 for my dues ......
    Are you sure you are reporting your salary accurately?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    So I was greated today 4-18 by my annual renewal letter from APA. I owe $467 for my dues and was invited to attend the National Conference on April 9-12. The letter is dated March 2011, the envelope was dated April 14, 2011
    hehe. I still haven't gotten my pin and certificate, despite repeatedly asking for it. They claim it's because my office mailroom isn't accepting mail from APA and it's getting mysteriously thrown out. I get the books I buy just fine, though.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The letter is dated March 2011, the envelope was dated April 14, 2011
    Awesome...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Yeah, that delay it takes APA to mail anything out actually worked in my favor. I took the AICP exam on one of the last possible days last year. I passed, but I didn't get a letter notifying me I passed until late December. That means my certificate was mailed in January and my CM period begins next January which means I have until December 31st, 2013 to get my 35 hours of CM

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Does your agency pay for your APA/AICP dues?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 43
    Last post: 01 May 2007, 12:50 PM
  2. AICP/APA dues
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 12 Mar 2007, 11:48 AM
  3. APA/AICP dues paid by jurisdiction?
    APA Los Angeles Section (archive)
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Oct 2005, 12:05 AM
  4. Insane sports groupies (men)