Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Columbia MSRED- Give it to me straight!

Registered
    Jan 2015

Columbia MSRED- Give it to me straight!

Hello All,

I want a bit of honest feedback. Perhaps rather foolishly, I was an architect major undergrad who decided to pursue an MSRED at Columbia immediately after my BArch. I have internship but no professional work experience in either architecture or RE. I'm now in my last semester at GSAPP and worried about my job prospects. How does the current market look for MSRED graduates? What are my salary expectations right out? I know the market isn't as bad as 2009 but has it rebounded enough so that I can work in RED? Should I get out of NY if I can't find a job? For the alums, how helpful is career services? I know the new dean is supposed to be much better than in years past; is this going to make a strong impact on the job market?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    ask to see their placement stats. It's been a tough several years for real estate master's grads... and I'm not sure they're seeing the recovery other planners and architects are seeing now.

Registered
    Jan 2015
    they don't give out employment states :/

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally posted by architect2re View post
    they don't give out employment states :/
    really? that kind of raises a red flag doesn't it?

FYI, Just asked a few colleagues who are more recent grads. Absolutely a red flag if a business-type grad program won't disclose employment stats.
    Last edited by Cismontane; 23 Jan 2015 at 12:15 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I always tell people to look at other job markets. It would be great to stay where you are, but consider the labor pool that is applying for those jobs. If everyone is apply for jobs in NY, take a look at Jersey (insert your own Newark joke). I would also recommend looking more down south. There's more development going on down there, but then I don't know the NY/NJ market well enough to say where you have better odds. Just remember, sometimes a small job in a small town is better than no job or the wrong job. At least you'll get some experience and you can move on after a couple years if you don't like it.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Real estate/MSRED MIT/Columbia MSRED?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 18 Nov 2014, 9:51 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 08 Jan 2014, 10:46 PM
  3. Real estate/MSRED MSRED at Columbia
    Student Commons
    Replies: 96
    Last post: 06 Jan 2014, 11:46 PM
  4. Columbia MsRED
    Student Commons
    Replies: 78