Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: LinkedIn: what's the deal with all the people from India that want to link to me?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

LinkedIn: what's the deal with all the people from India that want to link to me?

I'm not that active on LinkedIn, but it seems like every two days or so, I get a request from a planner, planning student or planning professor in India. I have no idea who they are. It's always from India; never strangers from other countries or even from the US. Is this just a cultural thing, or something else? Does anyone else experience this?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I have the Linked In App, which tells you who has viewed your profile. I am not sure what is in my profile that gets so many hits from tech and marketing companies (Indian sounding name always!) but obviously they see my profile and move on because I have only been recruited one time over linked in for a local engineering firm.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Yes - though I got one holding from a female planning student in Tehran and her picture is so intense (the stare, yikes) and there's a halo around her head - aaagh - culture shock unawareness strikes!

I run a group there I started before APA figure out LinkedIn and now I can't get rid of it but it's got a lot of the international flair to it - I have 42 possible spammers in there waiting to join and I won't let them because they only have 1 or zero connections which LinkedIn considers a possible spammer and gives you a warning on that person right on the screen (even, wow) - most are from India or the Middle East - at the one year mark, I write to them explaining why I haven't allowed them to join and I give them 30 days to just respond to me to say they want to join - no one has yet so at the 30 day mark beyond their year of waiting, I delete them...

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I rarely get invites from spammers on LinkedIn. I do get requests from people in other organizations who have many ties to me and either I don't remember them from a conference or they were referred to me by someone. I usually accept them because I see LinkedIn as a personal and company marketing tool more than anything.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2005
    actually the group is mostly from Johannesburg

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Dan, maybe they love your masculine-ness?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I've received LinkedIn invitations from complete strangers, but no one from India.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Yes - though I got one holding from a female planning student in Tehran and her picture is so intense (the stare, yikes) and there's a halo around her head - aaagh - culture shock unawareness strikes!

I run a group there I started before APA figure out LinkedIn and now I can't get rid of it but it's got a lot of the international flair to it - I have 42 possible spammers in there waiting to join and I won't let them because they only have 1 or zero connections which LinkedIn considers a possible spammer and gives you a warning on that person right on the screen (even, wow) - most are from India or the Middle East - at the one year mark, I write to them explaining why I haven't allowed them to join and I give them 30 days to just respond to me to say they want to join - no one has yet so at the 30 day mark beyond their year of waiting, I delete them...
    I run the "downtown revitalization" group on LinkedIn and also get a number of requests from people with no connections. My policy is to deny them unless they clearly have title that shows they may simply be new to LinkedIn. If they list something like "Main Street Manager, City, State" they get in. No title, or something unrelated to the topic, and they are denied. That said, I get almost no members from India, and definitely get no friend requests from them. I'll occassionally get someone from another English-speaking country who may want to connect after reading one of my posts. About once or twice a year I will get a resume from someone who has visited my company website. I have never once received an email from any cute Russian or Eastern European women who like my masculinesss. Of course, I have an old Yahoo account that I visit once every six months, and that seems to have a number of such emails.

I suspect that Dan is getting all this attention because he is a planning celebrity. As the founder and owne of the most important Internet resource for the planning profession, he is bound to attract a number of groupies.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Off-topic:
    I don't automatically block them becasue many of them, likely half, are just new and eventually they accumulate contacts - I give them a year plus 30 days

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. LinkedIn - what say you?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 29 Oct 2013, 1:43 PM
  2. Replies: 48
    Last post: 02 Jun 2013, 2:43 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 01 Mar 2011, 2:57 PM