Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The time machine

Registered
    Feb 2004

The time machine

You get to re-experience one year from your life. Your memories of all future events will be temporarily wiped out during this time, so this is not a question about changing courses or altering futures, but rather re-experiencing for whatever reason those things and events you most enjoyed and/or valued.

What year would you pick, and why?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    It would either be last year - 3 trips to NOLA, trip to Scotland and Ireland, and a wedding!

Or Sept. 2000 to Sept. 2001 - had a fun group of friends, played soccer almost everyday, went out almost every night, and had a lot of fun.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    1997 was a good year - 10 years into my career, really happy at work and at home -

I won't say it was all downhill from there but life got more complicated

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I actually thought about this idea of re-experiencing life because I noticed my 5 y.o. woke up bright and early, bounded out of bed happy to be alive and eager to experience another fun day at school (yes, he's in young 5's and still likes school).
    Wants to go sledding this evening and has already picked which bedtime stories he'd like read to him. After school he'll likely play with his new toys he got for Christmas and watch cartoons on tv. Sounds pretty good, huh? Oddly enough, though, for as good as his life seems to me you can bet there'll be tears and/or drama when he's asked to clean up his room, turn off the tv, or when he discovers there will be leftover kung pao chicken and rice for dinner and not hot dogs or mac and cheese Like most kids raised in middle class households, he has not known much privation so he really doesn't appreciate how good he's got it. I'm not sure for me reliving 1969 would be all it might be cracked up to.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I actually thought about this idea of re-experiencing life because I noticed my 5 y.o. woke up bright and early, bounded out of bed happy to be alive and eager to experience another fun day at school (yes, he's in young 5's and still likes school).
    Wants to go sledding this evening and has already picked which bedtime stories he'd like read to him. After school he'll likely play with his new toys he got for Christmas and watch cartoons on tv. Sounds pretty good, huh? Oddly enough, though, for as good as his life seems to me you can bet there'll be tears and/or drama when he's asked to clean up his room, turn off the tv, or when he discovers there will be leftover kung pao chicken and rice for dinner and not hot dogs or mac and cheese Like most kids raised in middle class households, he has not known much privation so he really doesn't appreciate how good he's got it. I'm not sure for me reliving 1969 would be all it might be cracked up to.
    Yeah, you definitely bring up some good points. I was initially going to say I'd like to go back to some time in the mid 90s during the height of my childhood, like 1994, 1995, or 1996 when I was 7, 8, or 9...some of the best years to be a kid. But then I remember, oh, gee, do I really want to re-experience flipping over the handlebars of my bike and slamming my teeth into the concrete again? Do I really want to experience being yelled at by my dad for flipping the neighbor the bird? Do I really want to experience the horrible sadness I went through when I realized I would be moving away from my friends? There are always drawbacks and those little negative experiences (that all pile on pretty quickly) that get in the way.

On the flipside, I had a great group of friends, none of my grandparents/aunts had died yet, and I absolutely loved riding my bike around the neighborhood in the summer, going to the pool, playing with my brothers, getting my first dog, the excitement of moving to a new place, etc. Plus, it seems everything pop-culture related (movies, music, books, etc.) was better back then versus now. And the economy was doing well and it seemed like the opportunities were endless. Now, it seems like things are always only getting worse.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I'd relive freshman year of college. Maybe this time 'round I wouldn't make the same stupid mistakes. And maybe I'd also settle on a different major!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    The enitre year of 1999 - moved into a place with bunch of guys who turned out to be great friends, junior year of college, we and our extended friend network controlled about half of the apt bldg we lived in and had awesome parties, I spend 6 weeks studying aboard outside Florence Italy that summer and than spent the next 3 weeks after Italy driving to and hiking for a week in Yellowstone. Also, it was the first year that I was a student driver for the Uni's bus system and I was paid well and got to drive 50 foot transit busses almost everyday.

That was a good year.

But I never want to relive 2010.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    I'd relive freshman year of college. Maybe this time 'round I wouldn't make the same stupid mistakes. And maybe I'd also settle on a different major!
    I'd second that! Loved my freshman year of college (2000-2001) one of the best years of my life
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    My sophmore year in college and the summer that followed for many different reasons.

Maybe I'm due for another one, it's been 30 years now. Oh Please!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    1991. Great girlfriend, an eclectic group of friends in the city where I lived, my first planning job (not the greatest, but my personal life more than made up for that), and about 2000 miles from "home home". Just about every experience I had was new and fresh.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2005
    1997. Got married (great wedding - the best party we ever threw), visited Alaska, was housesitting for the year in a fabulous house, then moved to New Mexico as a newlywed. Had no jobs but a great place to live north of Albuquerque in a small, friendly, rural community. Discovering and acclimating to New Mexico was a great and very romantic experience. First time smells: piñon, roasting chile, the desert after a rain. Lots of exploring, hiking in the mountains, gorgeous sunsets.

I still have all of that, and its still tremendous, but there is nothing like that sense of first discovery.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Feb 2007
    1999 through 2000. Best Year of my life..ever... (granted getting married and having kids was great too). I discovered that just being myself was ok. It was like a fresh start with life in a new place, being on my "own" for the 1st time and not a care in the world. Yup, freshman year of college rocked! Not to mention i think that was the last year I would pick up on chicks and have to write their number down in my little black book
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Thirded!!!!!!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

May 2003 to May 2004. It started with me getting my doctorate and ended with me getting married. Together, these are probably the best achievements of my life.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    It's interesting, most of you bring up your college years or years shortly thereafter. Maybe because they're still so recent for me, I'm not quite as nostalgic yet that I'd want to go back there. Or maybe because there were so many bad things mixed in for me (financial trouble, dad nearly dying of cancer, school getting shot up, economy tanking, drama with friends, etc.). On the whole, I do have a lot of fond memories from this time period and compared to where I am now, I'd love to be back in college. I guess if I were to pick a more recent year, I'd probably pick April 2005 - April 2006, including the last couple of blow-off months of high school before graduating, my first planning internship, my college freshman year and all the new friends I made and fun I had, a couple of relaxing vacations to my two favorite destinations before I started school, a smattering of awesome concerts, and it was right before my dad's health went downhill, and it was probably the one year of college that my finances were still alright. 2009 was jam-packed with memorable stuff too, but it was very stressful and taxing. I just don't think I could do it again.

Still, I think I'd choose 1995-96 or something and go back to my childhood. But maybe when I'm older, I'd be more apt to pick the college years of 2005-06 instead.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Nov 2009
    2008 for sure! My wedding rocked!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    none. I have many great memories, a few bad ones too, but I am quite happy living in this year and I look even more forward to next.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Any year of college, which would mean any year between 1999 and 2004.I miss it so much. SO. MUCH.

*sigh*

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    this thread makes me feel so old - where's Otis when I need him

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    You get to re-experience one year from your life. Your memories of all future events will be temporarily wiped out during this time, so this is not a question about changing courses or altering futures, but rather re-experiencing for whatever reason those things and events you most enjoyed and/or valued.

What year would you pick, and why?
    I couldn't answer without knowing the following questions:

*Would I know then, what I know now?
    *Would I know that this is a one year re-do and that at the end of it I would go back to my regular progammed life (even though I wouldn't know what that was)?
    *Would I remember the re-do when I got back to my "real" life?

All in all, I don't have any real serious regrets and am in a pretty darn good spot now, so I don't think I would want to go back. Cue Eddie Money please.

Registered
    May 2002
    2006. I was working my best job ever. I lived in a great town in a good location. I was deeply involved with friends and social organizations. I was a new father and that was exciting. I was an active and competitive mountain biker. I was entrenched in my community and close to my family.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Is it too cheesy to say I'd relive 1993, the year I got married? Life just never felt more "in front" of me than it did that year. Junior in college, had just picked my major, married Mrs. Ursus (after falling in love with her writing letters - remember letters?) and moved into our first apartment. Worked like a dog all year and was so happy to find at the end of it that we would have a daughter. Good year.

Oh that's too mushy. Sorry. I'm going to call some people and tell them they can't do what they want with their property. That will ground me back in my present again.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Using Mr Peabody and Sherman Wayback Machine -

Spring break in college - Skiing at Sun Valley.

When I nearly made Lt. on the Volunteer Fire Dept.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I'd relive April 1999 through April 2000. That would start near the end of my freshman year in college, right about the time I met who would be my future wife. New romance, college hijinks, a feeling of limitless freedom, almost no responsibilties, a lot of great friends (some of whom are still my friends today). It was before 9-11 and the economy was humming. I lost my virginity in that time (to my future wife, of course!). Love letters. Just a lot of beautiful memories that I wish I could relive.

My worst year would be this past one, so I long even more for those halcyon days of youth.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    My worst year would be this past one, so I long even more for those halcyon days of youth.
    Sorry to hear it. This one's for you

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Russian Sleep Machine
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 16 Jan 2009, 11:50 PM
  2. Machine-adapted field listing
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Mar 2006, 2:23 PM