Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: When it feels like somebody else's home

Registered
    Feb 2004

When it feels like somebody else's home

btrage's comment about living out of boxes on RT just reminded me of when we first moved in to our current abode. For the first several weeks there was a distinctly alien feel to the place as if we were living in someone else's house. Even though the place had been thoroughly cleaned from top to bottom there was still this sort of 'hmmm, did that food just touch the countertop' questioning taking place in the back of my mind. The first few mornings I woke up taking a few seconds to collect where I was. There were parts of the house did not feel like 'mine' even after living there 6-8 months.

Anyone else experience this? How long before your home felt like 'your home' to you?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    btrage's comment about living out of boxes on RT just reminded me of when we first moved in to our current abode. For the first several weeks there was a distinctly alien feel to the place as if we were living in someone else's house. Even though the place had been thoroughly cleaned from top to bottom there was still this sort of 'hmmm, did that food just touch the countertop' questioning taking place in the back of my mind. The first few mornings I woke up taking a few seconds to collect where I was. There were parts of the house did not feel like 'mine' even after living there 6-8 months.

Anyone else experience this? How long before your home felt like 'your home' to you?
    It only took me about 2 hours after closing for our house to feel like ours. That was when I knocked over a ladder and spilled a can of blue paint on the white carpet in the master bedroom. I remember thinking to myself, "Well, it's ours now..."
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2002
    We've been in our current home for about 6 weeks. I'm just starting to feel like it's ours, after we painted several rooms and started putting artwork on the walls. I still don't feel comfortable walking around in the dark, though, and once in awhile I'll see something unfamiliar that's part of the house and have to ask my husband, "What's that [cord, light switch, other unrecognized item] for?"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I've been in my current place for about 12 months. It still feels like someone elses home. This is mainly because of the hideous sunshine/mustard yellow paintjob that was rolled on over switches, electrical outlets, cold air returns..... It is also due to the touch up work that was done on the white walls that were orginally flat, but the previous owner touched it up with semi-gloss, poorly spackled holes, and other things that are just too bizarre to handle all at once. I did however get the new carpet in before I moved in (I am a wood floors guy, but this home never had them). In short the list of stuff to make it mine is bigger than my budget, and I am not one to charge things if I don't have the money set aside to pay off the bill.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Other than my current home, we never had that "mine" feel. Everything else was a rental and the last place was a condo. This house however, is a bit different. Something about it makes it feel very personal, but still has that history and character with details that we admire but may never understand the reasoning.

Yes, the more work we do to the house, the more it feels like ours, but even before we signed the papers, it felt like it was our home... that needed a few decades worth of work...

Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    It only took me about 2 hours after closing for our house to feel like ours. That was when I knocked over a ladder and spilled a can of blue paint on the white carpet in the master bedroom. I remember thinking to myself, "Well, it's ours now..."
    That is funny. My wife said the same thing when I had just finished changing all the locks within an hour of closing.

The other things that we did was change all the light bulbs to CFL's and wash everything with either beach or white vinegar.
    Last edited by michaelskis; 11 Jun 2012 at 3:00 PM.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I've been living in my new house for just over a month, and it's at least starting to feel like home to me now. I guess I'm so used to moving around (I've lived in about 24 different places in my 34 years) that I adjust quickly to new places.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2005
    We've spent 2 nights in the new house so it definitely doesn't have that "home" feeling. However, we're the first people to live in it, so that kind of helps.

I think it usually takes a year for a house to feel like a home. After having gone through all the seasons, weather changes, holidays, you start to establish memories.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I felt right at home when the kid and I moved into RJ's place 5 years ago. Of course, we'd both visited a bunch of times, and I already had hauled a lot of smaller items up when we drove up to visit.

In our prior house, I felt right at home the first time I walked in with the realtor. Never had that happen before.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    For 7 years I had the ashes of a beloved pet in a tin box and it moved with me from rental to rental.

We bought a house in mid-January 2003. I saw a great spot next to a lilac bush. All winter I waited. On a nice Saturday in early spring I dug a hole and put Blackjack's ashes in the ground. I think that is when it felt like my home.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 17 Jan 2008, 12:53 PM
  2. Feels good to gloat
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 05 Aug 2004, 12:33 PM
  3. Replies: 70
    Last post: 11 Feb 2004, 5:30 PM
  4. Replies: 8