Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Your own obituary

Registered
    Aug 2005

Your own obituary

After tragedies similar to the AZ shooting, I find the information journalists include in the victim profile pieces interesting. "She liked to sew Giants & Jets aprons." "He liked sushi."

It makes me wonder what they would write about me. "She liked to play Zuma Blitz." "She had two cats."

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    After tragedies similar to the AZ shooting, I find the information journalists include in the victim profile pieces interesting. "She liked to sew Giants & Jets aprons." "He liked sushi."

It makes me wonder what they would write about me. "She liked to play Zuma Blitz." "She had two cats."
    Interesting you mention it. This weekend I was looking at the obits for some 80- somethings who'd recently passed away and noticed they all included what appeared to me to be inane details about that person's life (e.g. 'always kept his farm equipment and automobiles very clean', 'entered her raspberry jam in the county fair every year', etc.)

I think the idea is to convey something personal that makes them sound more like an individual, rather than reading statistics from a curriculum vitae: born on x, attended x school, married on x, has x children....

Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO6
    Last edited by Maister; 10 Jan 2011 at 1:10 PM.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Interesting you mention it. This weekend I was looking at the obits for some 80- somethings who'd recently passed away and noticed they all included what appeared to me to be inane details about that person's life (e.g. 'always kept his farm equipment and automobiles very clean', 'entered her raspberry jam in the county fair every year', etc.)

I think the idea is to convey something personal that makes them sound more like an individual, rather than reading statistics from a curriculum vitae: born on x, attended x school, married on x, has x children....
    Most are written by family members.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I agree, it does make them more human and I find tidbits such as sewing Giants aprons interesting.

Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    Most are written by family members.
    Yup, makes me want to discuss with my family members what should be included or omitted from mine.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post

I think they like to be more specific than general because it makes you better understand who that person was. I would much rather someone write, he liked to watch American Pickers and eat ice cream than he watched a lot of tv and tried to eat himself fat.

Since I will never know that person, it is nice that the families give us a little piece of who they were. It is odd to think about what will be written about you though.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Since I will never know that person, it is nice that the families give us a little piece of who they were. It is odd to think about what will be written about you though.
    In the future, will someone be able to write your obituary based on what you have in Facebook??

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    In the future, will someone be able to write your obituary based on what you have in Facebook??
    That's a scary thought.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I don't like that idea.... especially when you put on a front for facebook many times. Well there are always those who give too much info....

"Hink_Planner was always going out to eat, or watching football games and was interested in Cityville and MafiaWars. He also like to read books and had a special quote that he recited often which was..."

Yikes...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    All I can say, is be the best you can your whole life, or you might end up with one of these comments in your obituary.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    All I can say, is be the best you can your whole life, or you might end up with one of these comments in your obituary.
    Absolutely hilarious....

6. "She is survived by her husband Richard, who is now looking for companionship and casual sex. Please, no fatties."
    ....I mean who would do this?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    To run with the Facebook obit idea a little more....

"...Dandy's life was filled with its share of ups and downs. She completed building her Frontierville 'Jackalope Lodge' in near record time, yet was unable to find the seven friends necessary to expand her farm to 13' x 13'. Her 339 friends will always remember her as being an individual with strong opinions, not only did she Like 'Is it a rack or crack', but scored an impressive 'wolverine' on the 'Which Badass Wild Animal are you' personality test....."

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

How about.....

An obituary based on your Cyburbia postings:

Zman was a prolific writer in the early years amassing 129,977 posts before the age of 30, sadly 99.999% were not content based.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    An obituary based on your Cyburbia postings:

Zman was a prolific writer in the early years amassing 129,977 posts before the age of 30, sadly 99.999% were not content based.
    Would Maister's include a poll?

Maister is
    • In Heaven
    • Playing fiddle with the Devil
    • Chillaxin'
    • Why do you hate America?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    "Funeral services will be held Saturday morning at 10:30, at which time the homes of the people listed above will be unoccupied and vulnerable to burglary."

Ain't that the truth, the same thing happens when weddings occur. People don't think when they announce these things. Facebook makes it even easier to put stuff out there that people have no business know about.

I looked at my brother's facebook page recently. Everything stopped in April when he became unable to maintain it. Its sort of creepy in a way and a reminder that there is a time when things just end. If you tried to write an obit based on it, you would get stuff about his cat, the red wings, and rants about Obama.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2009
    TerraSapient -- Strongly Opinionated. Loved Animals. Loved to Scoot Places. Loved Berries. Loathed Stupid People and Movies that were Predictable.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 32
    Last post: 19 Oct 2014, 7:47 PM
  2. Obituary Humor - Intentional or Not
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Oct 2010, 8:28 AM