Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beer Swap Thread

Registered
    Mar 2007

The Beer Swap Thread

As inspired by activities in the NEVERENDING Beer Thread, let me welcome you to the Beer Swap Thread.

I am willing to put keep track of willing participants, addresses, likes/dislikes, but until we get a some more folks, I think it may be easiest, for now, just to post in here that your that you are willing to swap. And also maybe post up if you have a specific request or access to something that cannot be found elsewhere. And then people can reply here or via PM if they are interested.

I'll start...
    I'm willing to exchange with folks and of course I have access to Bell's (but I imagine that is sold most everywhere in the country now) and some decent local Detroit breweries that are worth a shot.

I like most anything, but also have had an eye out lately for beers from Russian River Brewing and North Coast Brewing....

It looks like I have an exchange partner set for the first transaction but give me a few weeks and I'd be willing to go another round.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Nov 2009

I'm in!

Hawaii has a few breweries and I doubt most of the local brews are available outside of Hawaii, so anyone who is lucky enough to get me as a swapping partner will get to experience some island brews you may have never heard of.

Unless my first swapping partner has style preferences, I will send a variety pack of my personal favorites from different local breweries, to include Maui Brewing Co.'s Coconut Porter and Big Swell IPA and Kona Brewing Co.'s Wailua Wheat, to my first swapping partner.

Registered
    May 2004
    I have never had any bell's and Ive always wondered about two-hearted. They were out when I went to GABF

I have access to just about any beer anyone ever would want from the entire west coast. I even have access to Maui and Kona brewing. But not Keoni. I am also real big into well done sours.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I'm all in for this and have a few ideas. But Eastern NC doesn't offer much variety of potent potables, but I can look deeper.

I am in love with Hook and Ladder Brewery Golden Ax but can't find it except in VA.
    I would also love to try a Sleemans only because it's in a song I love and in my mind it's awesome.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I'm in, but please don't send me the real thick, dark stuff. I don't like to strain my beer through my teeth.

There are several Texas brews, and my two faves are St. Arnolds and Shiner (which is getting wider audiences due to increased distribution). There's a good liquor store up the way that usually has a wide variety of beers. I'll have to peruse the cooler to see what TX brews he has in stock. And the local organic grocery store has an always-changing selection, so if I get something and like it, I can't guarantee that it'll be there again.
    I've had very few regional beers. Almost everything will be new and exciting here.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I have about 4 Old Millwaukee NA's and about 11 Bud Lights in my fridge that are about 10 years old to anyone who wants them.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    I can send Sweetwater, Terrapen, Laughing Skull, and maybe Dogfish Head (harder to find). Terrapen and Laughing Skull may be widely distributed?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    As inspired by activities in the NEVERENDING Beer Thread, let me welcome you to the Beer Swap Thread.
    You did it now!

You should run this Secret Santa Style! [Secret Beer Exchange or "SeBeX"] To run quarterly.

I am in as well. Lots of fun stuff in WI to ship off!

Like:

Beer Style You Love
    My Favorite Environment To Drink Beer
    Yes/No I Tailgate
    Guilty Pleasure
    Yes/No I admit to drinking Bud Select 55

Others should chime in as well!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by shell_waster View post
    I can send Sweetwater, Terrapen, Laughing Skull, and maybe Dogfish Head (harder to find). Terrapen and Laughing Skull may be widely distributed?
    Terrapin!

I love it and it's definitely not distributed in Metro-Detroit. They always are at the beer tent at Bonnaroo each year and that's generally the only place I can get my fix.

Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia View post
    You did it now!

You should run this Secret Santa Style! [Secret Beer Exchange or "SeBeX"] To run quarterly.
    A quarterly secret beer exchange sounds like a good idea actually.

Maybe folks can send me a PM if they are interested in participating in the first quarter? I would say we can keep it open for requests until the end of next week?

So get your PM to me by the 21st if you are interested in participating.

Send me your mailing address and name, and let me know if there are beers that you absolutely despise.

I will try to pair up folks who are from different areas geographically.

And Salmissra, I'm still going to send out some beer this Friday (I'm picking it up tonight), but if you want to participate in the Secret Suds Santa, let me know.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Terrapin!

I love it and it's definitely not distributed in Metro-Detroit. They always are at the beer tent at Bonnaroo each year and that's generally the only place I can get my fix.

A quarterly secret beer exchange sounds like a good idea actually.

Maybe folks can send me a PM if they are interested in participating in the first quarter? I would say we can keep it open for requests until the end of next week?

So get your PM to me by the 21st if you are interested in participating.

Send me your mailing address and name, and let me know if there are beers that you absolutely despise.

I will try to pair up folks who are from different areas geographically.

And Salmissra, I'm still going to send out some beer this Friday (I'm picking it up tonight), but if you want to participate in the Secret Suds Santa, let me know.
    Usually, this is where you sign up.

The PM is what you get sent once you have a set of questions to answer.

Use the list I added or give it a day or so to see what gets added to that list. You want some differentiating questions so people aren't quiet guessing, but you are not saying "send this exact six pack" either.

Also some fun questions like "How do you torture guests or friends with beer".

Registered
    Oct 2005
    We need to post instructions on how to keep a sixer from breaking during transit. Has anyone shipped one before or is there an accepted packing method?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia View post
    Usually, this is where you sign up.

The PM is what you get sent once you have a set of questions to answer.

Use the list I added or give it a day or so to see what gets added to that list. You want some differentiating questions so people aren't quiet guessing, but you are not saying "send this exact six pack" either.

Also some fun questions like "How do you torture guests or friends with beer".
    I like your list of questions. I sort of zoned out reading it and trying to look at unemployment statistics at the same time.

Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    We need to post instructions on how to keep a sixer from breaking during transit. Has anyone shipped one before or is there an accepted packing method?

I shipped off a six-pack as part of the Secret Santa exchange and it seemed to arrive without incident.

I took the bottles out of the holder and wrapped each in bubble wrap individually and placed them in the box and filled the rest of the space in the box with balled up newspaper. I think the key was to have at least a tiny little bit of cushion between each bottle and then to make sure all the air in the box was filled with something so there was as little wiggle room as possible.

If you buy a roll of bubble wrap (or use what you may have at home), the recipient could use it on their next packing project.

I will be sending out a package this Friday again and could take some pictures as I pack it up in case somebody needs a little bit more clarification.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Found this on a website regarding the subject:

If it's just a sixer of 12 oz. bottles:
    -place each bottle in a quart sized Ziploc (or generic) bag
    -then wrap each in several layers of bubble wrap, paying attention to the neck/crown
    -keep bottles away from the sides/bottom/top of box
    -try to keep the bottles from being packed tightly against each other, though if wrapped in enough bubble wrap it's not an issue
    -Best packing material to fill space is bubble wrap or non biodegradable peanuts as they won't shrink or dissolve should you have a leak
    -be certain there's no shaking/sloshing going on in the box
    -seal tightly, label, have faith
    -Figure 10lbs. for a packed sixer of beer - all shippers can give you an online quote. Roughly? $8-10

Also, don't label it "beer" but you can label is "glass", "fragile", or "active yeast cultures"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by shell_waster View post
    Out of those three Atlanta - Athens breweries, I'd imagine Sweetwater has the most widespread distribution. Terrapin and Red Brick Brewing (formerly Atlanta Brewing Co - Laughing Skull is their most recognizable brew) seem fairly limited outside of Georgia.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    This sounds fun...

I live within 30 minutes of the Independence Brewing Company in Austin, TX and the Real Ale Brewing Company in Blanco, TX. Both are EXCELLENT micros that are achieving respectable regional distribution, but I am nearly certain are not available outside of Texas. In fact, these two breweries are rare in my book--I'll drink anything they brew regardless of my preferences.

I don't go for dark lagers and stouts simply because I don't find them especially refreshing--I might do one as a dessert occasionally, but that is it. Anything in the spectrum above that though, beginning with dark ambers, is good in my book.

I'll drop my PM with information once you guys finalize the question list. DoD's list looks good enough to ensure a positive experience.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Ok, I am going to try to make a better list. Lets see how people like this one.

Name
    Address

Put the number behind your beer preferences; example: 1 2 3 4 5 ----> 3
    Indicate your beer preference with words; example:_______ --> I like dive bars

I like bitter: 1 2 3 4 5
    Beer Style You Love:______________________
    I like dark beer: 1 2 3 4 5
    Beer Style You Hate:______________________
    I like cloudy beer: 1 2 3 4 5
    I Tailgate: Yes / No
    I like ales: 1 2 3 4 5
    Guilty Pleasure:__________________________
    I like Lagers: 1 2 3 4 5
    My dream place to drink beer:_______________
    I like balanced, mellow beer: 1 2 3 4 5
    I admit to drinking Bud Select 55: Yes / No
    I like thick high alcohol beer: 1 2 3 4 5

How is that? still open for questions...

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    I'm all in for this and have a few ideas. But Eastern NC doesn't offer much variety of potent potables, but I can look deeper.
    There are a number of great local brews in the Triangle, hopefully some of them are available east of here....Big Boss, Carolina Brewery, Duck Rabbit
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I'm in. Sources are somewhat limited for local brew, but here is what I can offer.

Olde Hickory Brewery (Hickory, NC) - this is a local microbrew and they just started bottling in 22oz bottles. Have had a Barleywine and Christmas Ale bottled and will be having others as well.

Highland Brewery (Asheville, NC) - a local that went regional, several different sixpack and specialties. sixers include pales, porters, stouts and more.

Cottonwood (central, NC) - two locals that basically merged and have several different sixers.

Others in these parts include SE regionals (Sweetwater, DuckRabbit for example).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2004
    Shipping: Ive done it plenty of times. Individually wrap each bottle in a few layers of bubble wrap. Then pack the sides, bottom and top with more bubble wrap or newspapers. The packaged air things that come in office supplies work really well for packing around the sides and top/bottom of the box.

I can get a hold of too many beers to list - literally hundreds of breweries in the pac NW. BUT, here are some of the more notable.

Snoqualmie, Laurelwood, Boundary Bay, Pike, Elysian, Silver City, Cascade, Hopworks, Fish Tale, Russian River, North Coast, Mad River, Bear Republic, 21st Amendment, Ninkasi, Moylans.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Planit, Beach_Bum, and anyone else in NC you can check out http://www.ncbeer.org/ which lists member micro breweries throughout the state. I keep seeing the billboard around Kinston and have been to the Wilmington Front Street Brewery which is a member brewery.

Registered
    Nov 2009

I'll probably botch DOD's survey, but here we go...

(assuming 1 is best)

I like bitter: 1 2 3 4 5
    Beer Style You Love:______Nut Brown Ales________________
    I like dark beer: 1 2 3 4 5
    Beer Style You Hate:____Not a huge fan of Pilsners__________________
    I like cloudy beer: 1 2 3 4 5
    I Tailgate: Yes / No
    I like ales: 1 2 3 4 5
    Guilty Pleasure:_____Deep dish pizza, loaded with toppings_____________________
    I like Lagers: 1 2 3 4 5
    My dream place to drink beer:___da Beach, on my beach chair, under my umbrella on a hot sunny day____________
    I like balanced, mellow beer: 1 2 3 4 5
    I admit to drinking Bud Select 55: Yes / No
    I like thick high alcohol beer: 1 2 3 4 5

Registered
    Aug 2007

Kudos to WSU and DOD for this idea! :)

I had Shiner Blonde while I was in Houston, it was an excellent beer!

Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    There are several Texas brews, and my two faves are St. Arnolds and Shiner (which is getting wider audiences due to increased distribution).
    I am using a 1 as my most preferred to 5 to my least preferred.

I like bitter: 1 2 3 4 5 ---> 2 (I like some IPAs, but I am not a hophead)
    Beer Style You Love: Wheat Beers, Some mild fruit beers
    I like dark beer: 1 2 3 4 5 ---> 3
    Beer Style You Hate: Not a fan of super heavy beers, porters, etc.
    I like cloudy beer: 1 2 3 4 5 ---> 1
    I Tailgate: Yes / No ---> No
    I like ales: 1 2 3 4 5 ---> 1
    Guilty Pleasure: Greasy diner meals
    I like Lagers: 1 2 3 4 5 ---> 3
    My dream place to drink beer: Sitting on my porch with a nice warm breeze blowing
    I like balanced, mellow beer: 1 2 3 4 5 ---> 3
    I admit to drinking Bud Select 55: Yes / No ---> I am not ashamed of a Miller Lite or Bud Light, they sometimes hit the spot, but I like my beer to have some flavor.
    I like thick high alcohol beer: 1 2 3 4 5 ---> 4

I will have to take a look at our local liquor/beer emporium, I know that they have make your own sixers with some unique selections.
    Last edited by rcgplanner; 18 Jan 2011 at 10:20 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2004

Trial Run 1/2 Done

Trial run of the exchange: first shipment received!

I received a box yesterday of 6 bottles of beer. Unfortunately, two bottles didn't survive. One was empty - had sprung a leak. However, there were no obvious signs of bottle breakage, so I'm assuming the cap seal didn't hold out in the horizontal position. The other bottle was half empty, so some type of slow leak maybe? Again, no obvious bottle breakage.

Casualties: one Ghettoblaster and the Two Hearted Ale. The survivors are in the fridge, chilling for tasting later. I will post my taste test results as the ales are consumed!

Edit: WSU MUP: your box is scheduled to arrive today (Weds).
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Casualties: one Ghettoblaster and the Two Hearted Ale. The survivors are in the fridge, chilling for tasting later. I will post my taste test results as the ales are consumed!

Edit: WSU MUP: your box is scheduled to arrive today (Weds).
    I'm sorry that a couple didn't survive. I hope that the box didn't reek of me after a trip to the bowling alley.

I'm surprised that the Two Hearted didn't survive, Bells are usually sealed pretty tight. The Ghettoblaster though... I've had quality control issues with them in the past (but they had been doing better for me lately).

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Just curious, how much did it cost to send out a 6 pack?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Beer Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1714
    Last post: 17 Dec 2014, 3:39 PM
  2. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 2:34 PM
  3. The 2013 Cyburbia beer swap