Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Permits for flag poles

Registered
    Feb 2007

Permits for flag poles

Any members out there regulate the placement of flag poles, particularly on residential lots. Do you have setbacks associated with them? I will assume the height limits are consistent with limits established by your local code. If you need a permit to put them up are certain heights exempt. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated (except for snide remarks like, "what! it needs a permit". It's California, you need permission for just about anything here, including wiping your arse ).
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Jan 2005
    We do not require a permit for the pole as long as it flies U.S., state or governmental (MIA, Veteran, Marines, etc.) flags. If they want to use the pole for a sign, we regulate it as such.

Height is based on the district standards. We had a Perkins who wanted a 85' tall pole.... and we denied it even though it was flying the biggest US Flag I have ever seen.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Height is based on the district standards. We had a Perkins who wanted a 85' tall pole.... and we denied it even though it was flying the biggest US Flag I have ever seen.

Bigger than this flag?

As a boy I used to go see that flag every flag day until 1976 when the Store donated it to the Smithsonian. I saw part of it once at the Smithsonian while it was on display.

Registered
    Jan 2011
    We require them to meet the regular setback and height requirements; however, most people don't think to get a permit for a residential installation of a flagpole. Unless it is a problem, we don't act on a non permitted flagpole.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Why do you hate America? If we regulate flag poles, the terrorists win.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 13 Aug 2009, 1:28 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 26 Jun 2009, 11:34 AM
  3. Subdivision Flag lots
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 21 May 2007, 4:41 PM
  4. Flag Wars
    Friday Afternoon Club