Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid bumper stickers seen around your neck of the woods

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Stupid bumper stickers seen around your neck of the woods

In this case, Buffalo.

PAY POLICE LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT
    Check out the employee salaries posted on municipal Web sites around here. The highest consist largely of police officers, with a few department heads scattered among them. Around these parts, it's not uncommon for a rank-and-file police officer to have an income that approaches or exceeds six digits. How much more money do you want?

I SAVE LIVES. WHAT DO YOU DO?
    Firefighting culture is heavily entrenched around here, so these stickers are everywhere. Thanks for telling me that my job saving cities isn't as important as yours. I guess we should all be firefighters, and nobody should be teaching our children, building our cars and houses, fixing our streets, or programming message board software. Nope. Firefighting is the only thing that matters.

26 + 6 = 1
    Give it up already. It's ironic how we Americans crack down on those who make donations to Islamic charities that may or may not have connections to terrorist organizations, but ignore the patrons of bars in South Buffalo and similar neighborhoods who pass around the hat for the IRA.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    "If you're not Dutch you're not much"
    Last edited by Maister; 17 Jan 2011 at 2:05 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    In this case, anywhere in Hawaii.

Grown Here, Not Flown Here. I loathe this sticker and I see it all the time. It implies the obvious, that those that are born in Hawaii are somehow superior to those who moved here. Nevermind the fact that those born here had relatives that migrated here at some point as well, including ancient Hawaiians.

Ainokea. I also loathe this sticker. It is not an actual Hawaiian word. It is meant to be read as a Hawaiian word would be pronounced, which would be "I No Kay-uh (Pigeon pronunciation for "Care")". It is not just a dumb sticker, but a culture of disassociation with everyone and everything around. Something about people who are proud to not care about anything or anyone really rubs me the wrong way.

Proud to be Ignorant. I don't think this one needs an explanation.

Live Aloha. This sticker, I love. Just a gentle reminder to be the love and respect you want to see in the world.

Try Wait. This sticker cracks me up. It is meant to remind people that they aren't the center of the universe and to slow down in the car and let the person in front of them do what they have to do without getting impatient/road rage crazy. For some reason, I see it on cars with drivers who are flying down the street all the time. The irony is very human nature.

Edit: Dan, did you say 6 figures? I am moving to Buffalo to become a police officer! See you soon!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Proud to be Ignorant. I don't think this one needs an explanation.
    Um, actually I think it does. Who the heck would put one of these on their bumper?

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Um, actually I think it does. Who the heck would put one of these on their bumper?
    You see them a lot out here. I think it has something to do with a stereotype that Polynesians are dumb. Though, I am not familiar with the stereotype, so I assume that because I often see it on cars with a bumper sticker that says Hawaiian... 'Nuff Said. Regardless, you do see the sticker pretty frequently and I can't imagine what would possess someone to feel this way or to put this on their car. Maybe someday, another Hawaii Cyburbia user will find this thread and clarify for us.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Grown Here, Not Flown Here. I loathe this sticker and I see it all the time. It implies the obvious, that those that are born in Hawaii are somehow superior to those who moved here. Nevermind the fact that those born here had relatives that migrated here at some point as well, including ancient Hawaiians.
    I've seen this in a lot of Western states, for some reason. It was very prevalent when I lived in Colorado, where green NATIVE stickers proliferated. Hated them. There were even state-issued pioneer license plates, if you could prove your family had its roots in the state before 1900.

Off-topic:
    Edit: Dan, did you say 6 figures? I am moving to Buffalo to become a police officer! See you soon!
    Yup. Cops and public school teachers in the Buffalo area have very generous salaries and benefits, despite the low cost of living. When I was in college, I delivered pizza to some of my old high school teachers, and they all lived in HUGE houses; 3,000+ square foot tract mansions in upscale subdivisions.

From the Amherst Bee: The Police Club had 148 officers in 2007 who worked full time with an average salary of $88,600.

In the City of Buffalo, public school teachers have free elective plastic surgery as a benefit.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I've seen this in a lot of Western states, for some reason. It was very prevalent when I lived in Colorado, where green NATIVE stickers proliferated.
    Also true in Florida. I rember the sticker that looked like the old FL liscence plate, but the letters spelled out "native."

I think it has to do with any late 1900s growth spurt state (Western states like Colorado, Southern states like Florida, and of course Hawaii). This high level, "newcomer" growth can bring high tensions. I felt it as a child in burgeoning Atlanta. While many folks enjoyed the economic boon, they were also upset to see their quality of life change (traffic, less trees, slow pace of life, etc.)
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jun 2007
    "Native Texan" with a Texas flag background palate. Funny. I thought either [mostly] the Texas Rangers killed or [otherwise] the US Government relocated all the Native Texans in the 1830's-1870's. Though I'm sure that's not what the bumper sticker implies (nor do most Texans know this about their beloved history).

"I may not have been born here, but I got here as fast as I could", also with a Texas flag background palate. Not sure which sticker made the rounds first, the Native Texan one or this one. Texas is generally welcoming to transplants, though, so I'd gather the first one was around after this one.

"Secede", again with a Texas flag background palate. Because that's not the route to economic ruin at all...

"Think for yourselves - Vote _______" - I've seen this for both major parties (and one minor one), but mostly it's used by liberals or Democrats (at least here). I don't necessarily have a problem with this, as I know what they're trying to say; I just find it ironic to tell someone to come to their own conclusion and then immediately afterward tell them what to do.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Try Wait. This sticker cracks me up. It is meant to remind people that they aren't the center of the universe and to slow down in the car and let the person in front of them do what they have to do without getting impatient/road rage crazy. For some reason, I see it on cars with drivers who are flying down the street all the time. The irony is very human nature.
    I think someone should start making a companion bumper sticker addressing lethal road rage: Not Shoot

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Up here:

RESTORE Boston (then in small letters) so they'll go back (and thus leave here)

If it's called Tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

and my favorite because it's so bad, so inapprioriate, that it's funny:

AA is for quitters

on the other side, we have the wide assortmanent of thinking globally but acting locally, buying organically, buying locally, co-existing, ending the war, impeaching Bush, living simply so others can, practicing random acts of kindness - mostly on Subarus and Volvos where the above is on the biggest truck you can get

and I still wince, and snicker, after being here 8 1/2 years, at the bumper stickers for our high school, Trojans

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've seen this in a lot of Western states..... where green NATIVE stickers proliferated.....
    Quote Originally posted by H View post
    Also true in Florida. I rember the sticker that looked like the old FL liscence plate, but the letters spelled out "native." ......
    The "native" thing is all over California, too. Even though I'm a native, I found them disgusting. What, you get more rights having been born and raised there?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    on the other side, we have the wide assortment of thinking globally but acting locally, buying organically, buying locally, co-existing, ending the war, impeaching Bush, living simply so others can, practicing random acts of kindness - mostly on Subarus and Volvos
    Honest question here... Could someone enlighten me on the reason "this group" of people wants to have better lives for Americans and a better American society and to do that they buy foreign cars that don't help any Americans?
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    What's up with the "keep honking, I'm reloading" and other bumper stickers joking about gun violence? There's nothing funny or cool about these IMO

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    Honest question here... Could someone enlighten me on the reason "this group" of people wants to have better lives for Americans and a better American society and to do that they buy foreign cars that don't help any Americans?
    I see the types of stickers you are referring to on all types of makes of vehicles, not just foreign ones. What I find absolutely chuckle-worthy is when people with bumper stickers on their American assembled/made car that say Out of Job Yet? Keep Buying Foreign!. We all know the only thing that person probably has that was made in America is the 70% or less of the car they are driving. I like to count how many of these stickers I see parked outside of Wal-Mart where most of the goods for sale are made in China.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Years ago when I was doing some training with my former employer at a manufacturing plant in Orlando I noticed this bumpersticker:

When I Get old I'm Going To Move To New York & Drive Slow
    _____

And then there is a personal favorite, firmly affixed to the Tundra of a certain bruin.....

Bear

EDIT....I am not doing anything right. Try again, stoopid bear.
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Here is the photo that should have been attached.....

EDIT AGAIN: I give up. Not letting me post the pic. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    On the back of a Ford: "Made without your tax dollars" Shame it was on a car made in Mexico!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    I see the types of stickers you are referring to on all types of makes of vehicles, not just foreign ones. What I find absolutely chuckle-worthy is when people with bumper stickers on their American assembled/made car that say Out of Job Yet? Keep Buying Foreign!. We all know the only thing that person probably has that was made in America is the 70% or less of the car they are driving. I like to count how many of these stickers I see parked outside of Wal-Mart where most of the goods for sale are made in China.
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    On the back of a Ford: "Made without your tax dollars" Shame it was on a car made in Mexico!
    Off-topic:
    Yes, my Subaru was made in Indiana - only the execs are in Japan - there is no such thing as buy American when talking about mass-produced products, Ford buys parts all over the world, etc.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Off-topic:
    Yes, my Subaru was made in Indiana - only the execs are in Japan - there is no such thing as buy American when talking about mass-produced products, Ford buys parts all over the world, etc.
    When my dad was looking for a car to replace his Bonneville he decided on a Ford Focus. Now his parents both worked in auto factories and I tried to explain to him that he should buy and Ford 500, Accord or a Camry if he wanted to buy a car with high U.S. content. He complained that the 500 was just too ugly. My dad always drives stylish cars. He ignored me regarding theHonda and Toyota too and it wasn't until he was taking off the sticker he noticed that it had 30 percent U.S. content and was made in Mexico. The Accord is made just S of Toledo, and the Camary somewhere in either TN or KY. Both have much higher U.S. contents.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    When I lived in Orlando, I used to see a lot of pickup trucks with custom decals bearing pithy, redneckish phrases sprawled across the top of the front and/or back window. One I saw on a jacked-up monster truck: I AIN'T COMPENSATIN'.

One big difference between Texas and the Northeastern United States: in the Northeast, parents display MY CHILD IS AN HONOR STUDENT AT [name of school] or MY [SON|DAUGHTER] AND MY MONEY GO TO [name of Ivy League school] stickers. In Buffalo, you'll also see stickers with the names of prestigious old-money private high schools; Nichols, Park, Buffalo Seminary, Nardin, Canisius, and so on. In Texas, it's custom decals with the names of their children, the sports they participate in, their position, and their uniform numbers. This includes cheerleading.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I've always found many/most of the left-wing political 'chant' and talking point bumper stickers to be deep on the 'lame' and/or 'stupid' end of the scale.

Mike

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    parents display MY CHILD IS AN HONOR STUDENT AT [name of school] o
    I'm partial to the ones that say, "My child beat up your honor student" or something along those lines.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by shell_waster View post
    I'm partial to the ones that say, "My child beat up your honor student" or something along those lines.
    Or "my border collie is smarter than your honor student"
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Saw one today that said "I have tattoos that communicate better than you do." WTF?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Just like the folks around here who put the "Out of a Job Yet? Keep Buying Foreign" sticker on the back of their Focus or Aveo or other vehicle assembled in Mexico... or on the back of a Jeep or Chrysler when they were owned by Diamler... or on any American car that probably has about 50% of it's OEM components made in Canada or Mexico by a Japanese, German, British, or Korean firm.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. cool bumper stickers
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73
    Last post: 29 Jan 2010, 2:31 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last post: 12 Jan 2007, 12:44 PM
  3. Replies: 36
    Last post: 08 Oct 2003, 1:13 PM
  4. Replies: 12