Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 College Football Thread

Registered
    Jun 2007

2011 College Football Thread

Since it's no longer 2010...

OU has many key offensive folks coming back and few defensive folks leaving. Should be a good year next year. I only hope we don't get our expectations up too high only to be let down at the end of the season.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Oklahoma should be the best team in college football in 2011. Landry Jones and company are really good.

My Buckeye's unfortunately are going to be hurting for the first 4 games... we shall see though. With a strong defense and what should be a good offense with or without Pryor, they should still be able to compete.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Snowed in and watching the ESPNU signing day special.. ridiculous that 41 of the top 150 recruits are from the state of FL

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Looks like the Dawgs pulled in a solid class despite last season's losing record and a coach who is squarely on the hot seat.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Urban Meyer cut his financial ties with UF since he will be working at ESPN and comment on recruiting. Wouldn't want any NCAA violations.

Gators will be interesting this year and I predict a (much) better record than last year. The loss of 9 of the 11 starters on offense last year hurt them more than was thought.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Looks like Tressel still has it...

http://sports.yahoo.com/rivals/blog/...college-315976

Sorry Florida fans
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    This is embarrassing... for all schools on the list...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ex.html?hpt=C2

The fact that of the Top 25 teams next year only TCU didn't have an arrest last year is crazy. These kids are given a college education for free. The leash should be CRAZY short. You mess up, you are out. I think that for how much these kids are given, the responsibility needs to go with it. Right now colleges fund football teams with educational money, then let those kids in to school with lower than average grades and test scores and tutor them to pass specialized classes. The LEAST these kids can do is not get arrested.

Seriously, I love college football, and my Buckeye's, but this is just becoming ridiculous. Schools need to reevaluate the goals of the universities, and how these kids advance that goal....

Of the 277 incidents uncovered, nearly 40 percent involved serious offenses, including 56 violent crimes such as assault and battery (25 cases), domestic violence (6), aggravated assault (4), robbery (4) and sex offenses (3). In addition there were 41 charges for property crimes, including burglary and theft and larceny.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    The fact that of the Top 25 teams next year only TCU didn't have an arrest last year is crazy.
    If you read that article closely, you'll see that they jumped from reporting on arrests during the school year to arrests among players anytime in their lives. It may actually be the case that many of these kids are doing better in college than they were in their home environment. Not being an apologist, just wary of statistics.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    If you read that article closely, you'll see that they jumped from reporting on arrests during the school year to arrests among players anytime in their lives. It may actually be the case that many of these kids are doing better in college than they were in their home environment. Not being an apologist, just wary of statistics.
    You are correct... I didn't read that correctly the first time. That does change some of the end sentiment, but it still just reads like Universities are okay with crimes as long as you play football. You have a DUI though and you don't play football... don't expect to get into our college...

Registered
    May 2005
    Hink, what's going on with Sweater Vest?????

You got the inside scoop?

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-news-ji...0,901939.story
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Hink, what's going on with Sweater Vest?????

You got the inside scoop?

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-news-ji...0,901939.story
    I don't think it is going to be a big deal. I have heard that he didn't know, Tressel has never been one to cheat...

A joke I heard though was that all he has to do is say that they told his Dad, and that he didn't know and the NCAA would let him go

Registered
    Jul 2006
    A joke I heard though was that all he has to do is say that they told his Dad, and that he didn't know and the NCAA would let him go
    He'll probably just shake his fire breathing fists and say "Winning!"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Nevermind....

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...osuprobe030711

Pretty disappointed... two games... what a joke...

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Say it ain't so Jim,say it ain't so.

Players get 5 games and the guy (the coach, the leader) who knew about it for the year gets two. Oh my,the NCAA won't like that.

Further evidence they shouldn't have played in the bowl game, except for the $$$.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Say it ain't so Jim,say it ain't so.

Players get 5 games and the guy (the coach, the leader) who knew about it for the year gets two. Oh my,the NCAA won't like that.

Further evidence they shouldn't have played in the bowl game, except for the $$$.
    The NCAA is going to be tougher I think, and they should. Tressel has run a pretty clean ship (or so we thought) so really this is his first blemish, but that is no excuse. I think the NCAA needs to start making coaches accountable. Unfortunately, I think it starts with my beloved Buckeye's coach.

I think that seeing how football is a money sport now, and that they will take kids that have crazy criminal records, this is probably not the biggest deal (I am sure college coaches know A LOT more than they say they know). But I still think it shows that coaches don't self-regulate.

Now if the NCAA could just be consistent in their punishments.... Newton should have been benched for the season, as well as the 5 Buckeye's - just as Robert Quinn was....

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Uh-oh... OU released its non-conference schedule today. One date in particular caught my eye - a date which will pit me against many of the posters in this forum:

On Saturday, October 1, 2011, my beloved Oklahoma Sooners will play host to the Ball State Cardinals at Owen Field at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium in Norman.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    On Saturday, October 1, 2011, my beloved Oklahoma Sooners will play host to the Ball State Cardinals at Owen Field at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium in Norman.
    This will be incredibly ugly. Can the OU band handle playing the fight song every time the Sooners score without passing out from exhaustion by the end of the game?

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    This will be incredibly ugly. Can the OU band handle playing the fight song every time the Sooners score without passing out from exhaustion by the end of the game?
    It might be interesting if a 2009-level OU squad shows up while a 2008-level Ball State team also shows up...

Registered
    Dec 2008

Isn't the reason for this so the Sooners can win an easy game and the Cardinals can make some money? Instead of playing a good game they play one that will help the win column and the bank account. It's such a shame these guys throw potentially great games away because of a computer ranking system. We never get to see truly great non-conference matchups outside of bowl games and it's a shame.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It might be interesting if a 2009-level OU squad shows up while a 2008-level Ball State team also shows up...
    That is the funny part. The team in 2008 had a good record but still sucked something awful. Ball State isn't a football school even if they have put more money into it than other MAC schools. Ball State is probably equivalent to an average Texas high school team.

I am sure BSU is getting a payday though, which sadly is the best they can hope for.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...mentor/related
    http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...d.html?sid=101

Seriously. I love the Buckeye's. I think there is no doubting that. But I want to see Tressel fired. We can get any coach on the planet. I will enjoy when Urban Meyer joins our staff (until we find out how dirty he was at Florida).

There is no excuse for what Tressel has done. He needs to be made an example. College Football is already a shady sport. Millions of illegal transaction happen every day. When a coach is caught, they should be skewered. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I already sent a letter with my alumni paperwork this year.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...mentor/related
    http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...d.html?sid=101

Seriously. I love the Buckeye's. I think there is no doubting that. But I want to see Tressel fired. We can get any coach on the planet. I will enjoy when Urban Meyer joins our staff (until we find out how dirty he was at Florida).

There is no excuse for what Tressel has done. He needs to be made an example. College Football is already a shady sport. Millions of illegal transaction happen every day. When a coach is caught, they should be skewered. No ifs, ands, or buts.

If the ncaa doesn't suspend him for the year over this - I don't know what it would take.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Hinkster.....you said it well. I was in the "give him another chance" corner (even though he smokes my team on a regular basis). No longer residing in that corner. Vest needs to go.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    If the ncaa doesn't suspend him for the year over this - I don't know what it would take.
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Hinkster.....you said it well. I was in the "give him another chance" corner (even though he smokes my team on a regular basis). No longer residing in that corner. Vest needs to go.

Bear
    Sounds like there's a conspiracy to railroad Tressel.

Registered
    Jul 2006

NCAA alleges Tressel lied to hide NCAA violations

Tressel may be joining Rich Rod soon.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...ohiost-tressel

Maybe I should have put this in the Things that make you chuckle... thread.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 2013 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 300
    Last post: 07 Jan 2014, 2:00 PM
  2. 2012 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 245
    Last post: 11 Jan 2013, 11:27 AM