Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 1st job

Registered
    Dec 2010

1st job

Hi everyone, my name is Eddie and I am wondering how you get your first job.. I live in Melbourne and I have tried every council for an internship but non of them gave me a possitive answer.. Seems like every job advertised online are from recruiting agencies and they have no interest in fresh graduates either.. Any help is greatly appreciated

Oh and Happy New Year y'all

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by EzyCompany View post
    Hi everyone, my name is Eddie and I am wondering how you get your first job.. I live in Melbourne and I have tried every council for an internship but non of them gave me a possitive answer.. Seems like every job advertised online are from recruiting agencies and they have no interest in fresh graduates either.. Any help is greatly appreciated

Oh and Happy New Year y'all
    Over here in the States, you fill out hundreds of applications all across the country/world until you get an interview. You can also blindly send a resume/cover letter to every company you suspect has a planning position; the material has a link to your website with portfolio. One hopes no one throws it away unopened. At the same time, you also hit up all your contacts and send them stuff. You will need to stock shelves, wait tables, tend bar, or other similar until you get lucky. I suspect it is similar there.

Happy new year after all that.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My understanding of Victoria government is that you have many different levels that you could apply to. I would put out a wide net and see if you can get any bites. You might need to volunteer your services for a short time just to get the experience.

Good luck.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2011
    Just secured my graduate job in a local council (NSW) after 2 months of searching.

Market's slim, but not impossible.

It helps to know what sort of roles the organisation are offering, and tailor your CV/cover letter accordingly to get an interview. I am training as a strategic planner, so i chased down the councils advertising similar roles.

Dropped a letter off at 4 councils, all asked me to interview. 2 rejected. 2 offers.

Always apply for advertised positions, and address the assessment criteria.

Prepare for your interview and do what is needed to demonstrate that you are a good candidate for their organisation.

Good luck!

+ Reply to thread