Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Good use of signage

Registered
    Mar 2011

Good use of signage

What's your favorite street or neighborhood where they have good signage? Where everything works just right for traffic, for pedestrians and for businesses?

Registered
    May 2005
    My favorite neighborhoods/streets are those with no signage.

Also, you may want to start posting in the appropriate forums.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2011
    Sorry, this is my first post.

What's your favorite street or neighborhood where they have good signage? Where everything works just right for traffic, for pedestrians and for businesses?

I'm very interested in your answers because I'm trying to find an existing sign code to use as a template.

Moderator note:
    ~Gedunker
    Welcome to Cyburbia, Metro. As btrage points out, threads should be started only once and only in the forum most appropriate for the thread. Moved and merged threads. Carry on.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think it really depends on the street. You would want one range of signage in a mostly pedestrian area, another on an urban street, another on a suburban arterial, and so on. Land use may also factor in. Industrial districts may have signage needs different from those of a retailer.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2008
    My favorite is on hiking trails where they put the little colored blazes on trees.

Registered
    Mar 2011
    I agree, everyone has different needs. In a mixed use environment, where it's important that everyone gets their needs met, there are places that have figured this out. I'm sure it took them a long time, but they did. I have my favorites, but maybe there are others that work even better.

I'm working on a committee that's revamping the sign code and instead of repeating the same mistakes, I'd like to use some best practices. Looking for input from anyone who has been through this process. What we put in place will last for a long time, so I want it to last. Good design principles don't go out of style.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I'll suggest you take a look at the Town of Vienna, Virginia. They have a very tight sign code, a major commuter thoroughfare, and thriving businesses. The community also is attractive. The sign rules appear in two places in their code, so be sure to look at both.

It has a Whole Foods. Macy's is up the road in Tyson's Corner.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Directional signage
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Jul 2010, 12:16 AM
  2. Campus signage
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Apr 2008, 1:36 PM
  3. Trail signage
    Design, Space, and Place