Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MUP or MSRED

Registered
    Apr 2010

MUP or MSRED

Hey guys,

I've decided to get an MBA, but I am also interested in programs in urban planning and real estate development. I've heard from many people that a lot of urban planning programs are theory heavy, which is not what I am really interested in. What would you guys suggest for someone interested in entrepreneurship, but also in working with local or foreign governments and organizations?

Registered
    Jan 2011

Courses?

Hey, as someone who got a Master of City Planning degree and then proceeded to work in real estate analysis/economic development, I'd advise just taking some courses in planning or government. Though I appreciate the broad-based view of development I have, I now wish I had a business background. You could do a dual degree at some schools...but programs vary in how "theory" based they are. My program (Univ of Pennsylvania) was fairly practice-oriented, I think. We had a history of planning course and a theory course, but for the most part, courses concentrated on real life application. You should also think about what in planning you're interested in--some people focus on government policy and/or zoning type matters while others are focused on design. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Registered
    Apr 2010
    Hey thanks for the reply. I am interested in business and economic development. I've been having a hard time finding programs because like you said they vary so much. I've thought about getting the MBA and then maybe doing a graduate certificate in real estate. I've been looking at programs on the east coast mainly New York and DC.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Real estate/MSRED NYU MSRED
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Jul 2013, 1:24 AM
  2. What school? MSRED decision - USC vs MIT
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 May 2013, 9:56 AM
  3. MSRED vs MBA
    Student Commons