Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: U of Albany

Registered
    Nov 2010

U of Albany

Does anyone know about the quality of Albany's MCRP program? Admission looks pretty easy, so naturally I'm a bit skeptical about the program. Does anyone have any personal experience with the program, or know anyone that does? I may apply to this school if my GRE score isn't as high as I would like,

Registered
    Jan 2011
    I've been wondering the same thing. My sister goes there (for the MBA program though) and she's been pretty pleased with the university. If anyone has any info on financial aid at UAlbany, I'd like to know as well.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    The program has a reputation for turning out working planners. Many of the planners you will find in the area are graduates of the MRP (Masters in Regional Planning) this makes for great networking opportunities and chances for internships (often paid).

Overall I've been really satisfied with my classes and the program. The studio project this fall was a great learning opportunity. We did a feasibility study for a trail about 45 minutes south of the University which included running two public meetings. It also has a great class on bicycle and pedestrian planning-- it was one of the first classes taught on this in the country.

There are a few teaching assistant positions open every year. There is also transportation scholarships that is UAlbany students tend to receive. I received one this year which includes tuition and a stipend for three semesters.

The Graduate Planning Student Association is very active in terms of organizing social events and working with local professional planning groups. You can find more information about the program at http://ualbanyplanners.org/default.aspx

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. St. Paddy's Day in Albany, NY
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 Mar 2013, 2:05 PM
  2. Albany NY
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 16 Mar 2012, 11:39 AM
  3. SUNY Buffalo and Albany
    Student Commons