Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anyone interested in starting a planning book club?

Registered
    Dec 2010

Anyone interested in starting a planning book club?

I'd like to organize a book club focused on urban planning. Provided they relate to the built environment, books on topics in architecture, sociology, history and other genres would also be fair game. I'm thinking a book a month, followed by an online book discussion. A group of 10-15 people would be ideal.

A sample of books on my list:

What time is this place? by Kevin Lynch
    Cities of Tomorrow by Peter Hall
    Design with Nature by Ian McHarg
    Bourgeois Nightmares by Robert Fogelson

Alternatively, if I can find enough interested people in the Washington, DC area, we could meet locally for book discussions. But online would be fine as well.

If you're interested, reply to this thread with a few book suggestions of your own.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    A bit of a late response, but I'll read with you chauncey.g

Registered
    May 2008
    This is a bump because I'm interested in a book club. TerraSapient are you still into it?

Here are some books that have been on my list forever:

There Goes The 'Hood by Lance Freeman
    City Bound by Gerald Frug and David Barron
    Hungry City by Carolyn Steel

...but I also love to travel to exotic locales while I read when I can. Books I have read along those lines include Shadow Cities by Robert Neuwirth and The Concrete Dragon by Thomas J. Campanella, about shantytowns worldwide and Chinese urban development respectively. I recommend both, and would love to 'travel' more.

Of course if those books aren't your cup of tea I would propose a completely democratic book selection process. Doesn't have to be a monthly thing, either. Is anyone else interested? Even a small group would be cool.

Registered
    May 2011
    I would most definitely be interested in joining your book club. Those books sound extremely interesting. Count me in!

Registered
    Jun 2010

is it too late?

I'm really interested in staying on top of new releases, and just created a post for it. If there's any way to squeeze me in, I'd be very interested.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    I am interested!

Registered
    Jul 2009
    I'd be interested if it were newer books, or at least those not typically found on every Planning 101 curriculum out there. I get why Design With Nature is so popular, but I've read it and discussed it enough for one lifetime.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2011
    Hey guys! This is kind of late, but I'd be down for an online book club as well.

I'm mainly interested in books related to environmental planning and design and/or the new focus on high-density urban redevelopment that is taking hold in many cities.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 14 Jun 2011, 8:02 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2008, 12:45 AM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last post: 07 Mar 2005, 11:09 AM