Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Starting an ecovillage

Registered
    Aug 2005

Starting an ecovillage

Has anyone here ever thought about moving to or starting an ecovillage? I am city born and raised, but outside of a public library the city not my natural habitat. I'd like to settle someplace in Georgia or South Carolina and set up an organic CSA farm. I have money I could invest and I have over 30 years experience growing vegetables (along with a BA in biology). But what I don't have is good health (congestive heart failure; high blood pressure and arthritis that will eventually make me disabled). So I would need help with the physical labor involved in setting up a farm.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    So what exactly do you envision would be in your ecovillage besides a farm? Do you think you're going to buy an entire village or most of one, or is this something to be built from raw land? Give the rest of us a visual picture of an ecovillage.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by urban2rural View post
    So what exactly do you envision would be in your ecovillage besides a farm? Do you think you're going to buy an entire village or most of one, or is this something to be built from raw land? Give the rest of us a visual picture of an ecovillage.
    I am thinking of building from the ground-up using ecologically sustainable building technologies such as rammed earth, strawbale, compressed earth blocks and earthbags.

The eco-village/farm would ultimately function as an environmental research and development center to promote sustainable food, energy and building technologies.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2010
    My guess is this forum isn't going to get you a lot of participants. While planners may support the IDEA of eco-living we're generally a pretty staid bunch.

What I would do is contact a university that has an active environmental sciences program and talk to the faculty about setting up a project. You supply the land and they supply the manpower in the form of students. You get your eco-village and the students get experience and knowledge that they can take with them around the world.
    Last edited by Howl; 07 Feb 2011 at 3:40 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Howl View post
    My guess is this forum isn't going to get you a lot of participants. While planners may support the IDEA of eco-living we're generally a pretty staid bunch.
    I suggest we want to be comfortable and have a semipermanent place to live. Nonetheless, the domes at UC Davis come to mind.

Quote Originally posted by Howl View post

What I would do is contact a university that has an active environmental sciences program and talk to the facility about setting up a project. You supply the land and they supply the manpower in the form of students. You get your eco-village and the students get experience and knowledge that they can take with them around the world.
    Speaking as someone who is at a university and who has placed students in sustainable farming projects....

No. You cannot just get students as manpower. Students are placed in more stable, established programs where they can learn from people who have experience in these topics. We tend to be very reluctant to place students in start ups because we have no guarantee the person running the operation is skilled or trustworthy (can you imagine the liability issues).

What you might do is ask around to find who else in your area is working on these issues that you might go and talk to. Professors would be very willing to give you some names.

We are starting an eco-village that is based on natural life.

I am David Wright, here on the forum I am the Problemsmith.

I have been working for a great number of years to find the perfect place to form and develop an ecologically integral village that can be of great service to mankind and at the same time bring prosperity and peace to the residents.

Sustainability is the key to my development and the location. Our ecovillage will be located in remote Guyana near the Venezuelan border. Why Guyana?

Its quite simple because it is necessary to protect the land and the water resources there. Guyana has 20% of the worlds fresh water sources, mostly spring fed rivers. It has ample forest resources and undiscovered plants and animals. It is both a scientist's and an explorer's dreamland.

Our ecovillage will be sustainable and off the grid and implement appropriate technology to take advantage of man's smarter advances and yet be based on a natural way of life not unlike that of American natives before colonists arrived and destroyed these ways of life.

If you are interested I suggest you contact me directly by email.

Registered
    Apr 2008
    I was reading the SmartGrowth.org newsletter and noticed an artcile about an ecovillage in L.A. Maybe it would have some links/contacts for you.
    http://www.good.is/post/a-village-grows-in-los-angeles/

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The ecovillage near me is a cohousing development. I think the intentional community route may be the way to go; find some like-minded people, and make it a cooperative effort.

There's several books available on Ecovillage at Ithaca; just follow the "Bookstore" link at the top of the page, and do a search.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jun 2011

Trying to Contact You

Hi There

I sent you a private message on the permies forum a few days ago. I couldn't figure out how to send a pm here, but I would really like to talk seriously to you about this. I look forward to hearing from you soon

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Intentional communities/EcoVillage zoning
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 May 2012, 7:00 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Nov 2007, 11:39 PM
  3. Starting out
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Aug 2007, 10:13 PM