Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cover letter - P/T job

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Cover letter - P/T job

Long story short, I am applying for a P/T job (half-time) in a nearby city, that I am well qualified for. A full-time planner for 6 yrs, I have recently been moonlighting on some consulting jobs and want to grow my involvement in consulting and/or the nonprofit world; want to pursue an interest in organic gardening or farming; and simply want some work-life balance and time to reflect.

In my cover letter, how might I address my motivations? Most of the people I know who work part-time for cities are mothers with children at home (with the exception of one friend who is an artist), which fair or not I think employers are comfortable that they will stick around as they have made a choice to balance work and life.

Do I:
    Simply outline my qualifications, and leave the potential employer guessing about my motivations?
    Outline only my more "professional" side interests (consulting and possibly professional education), at the risk the employer may think I'd dump them as soon as my consulting takes off or I finish some credential/degree?
    Outline more honestly my motivations in order to assure them I expect to stick around, at the risk of including more personal information than is appropriate? (Would some managers see a 30-something male voluntarily going to P/T employment as a bit flaky ... or in our more entrepreneurial world, is this not a big deal?)

The job listing is open for about three weeks, so I don't get the impression they already know who they want to hire.

Thanks for any thoughts ...
    Last edited by docwatson; 05 Feb 2011 at 1:32 AM.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I would shy away from too many details. However, I would let them know that you are in it for the long term. "This position will fill out my career and personal goals for the next 5+ years..." type of thing.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    I changed up my resume to include an entire section on my commitment to volunteerism, community service, Making Teh World A Better Place TM. Employers offering P/T positions realize that their targets are likely to be in transition.

HTH

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for your advice! The supplemental questions actually included a question on why I am interested in part-time work, so this made it easy to address the question, honestly, without more detail than was needed.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. To cover letter or not to cover letter
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 09 Jun 2011, 11:30 AM
  2. Length of cover letter?
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 02 Oct 2008, 11:00 AM
  3. Cover letter questions