Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Agricultural urbanism: examples

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Agricultural urbanism: examples

A short but sweet post: does anyone have any photos of Prairie Crossing in Greyslake, Illinois, or any other examples of agricultural urbanism?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Here's an AU website: Agricultural Urbanism. It lists 2 examples in British Columbia.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    Here's an AU website: Agricultural Urbanism. It lists 2 examples in British Columbia.
    A bit more on the avant-garde design side, Teddy Cruz's project in Hudson, NY may be worth mentioning.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/200...SHO_index.html

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Cismontane View post
    A bit more on the avant-garde design side, Teddy Cruz's project in Hudson, NY may be worth mentioning.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/200...SHO_index.html
    I am skeptical that Cruz's vision will come to pass. Quite frankly, most wealthy folks don't like to live around poor folks, unless they are of the "right kind" -- and not too many. I'm not faulting Cruz for trying, but if this project actually gets approved and built, I suspect that there will only be a token number of poor people actually living in it, very much like the small percentage of lucky former Cabrini-Green residents who were "chosen" to live in the new apartments/townhouses built in their old neighborhood.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    I am skeptical that Cruz's vision will come to pass. Quite frankly, most wealthy folks don't like to live around poor folks, unless they are of the "right kind" -- and not too many. I'm not faulting Cruz for trying, but if this project actually gets approved and built, I suspect that there will only be a token number of poor people actually living in it,...
    Yes. I've stopped trying to get buy-in for mixed-size lots by stating 'multiple income groups' and instead focus on the ability to age in place. IME the majority of people don't want poor people living next door. And that's what they picture.

Nonetheless, Agricultural Urbanism is a cute oxymoron.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    I am skeptical that Cruz's vision will come to pass. Quite frankly, most wealthy folks don't like to live around poor folks, unless they are of the "right kind" -- and not too many. I'm not faulting Cruz for trying, but if this project actually gets approved and built, I suspect that there will only be a token number of poor people actually living in it, very much like the small percentage of lucky former Cabrini-Green residents who were "chosen" to live in the new apartments/townhouses built in their old neighborhood.
    True.. although one may wish to make a caveat that you're assuming that wealthy people would actually like to live in Hudson to begin with.. The average household income there is in the twenties and the poverty rate is about 35%. Architecturally and historically very interesting place though... The population peaked at something like 20,000 right before the Depression.. Now the town barely has 6,500. It looks a lot like the Ghost Whisperer town, though.
    Last edited by Cismontane; 08 Feb 2011 at 1:20 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Cismontane View post
    True.. although one may wish to make a caveat that you're assuming that wealthy people would actually like to live in Hudson to begin with.. The average household income there is $23,000 a year and the poverty rate is about 35%.
    Averages and poverty rates can be very deceiving. Buffalo's average household income is about $26,000 a year and the poverty rate is above 25% but that doesn't mean that there aren't wealthy enclaves in the city. The neighborhoods along Delaware Avenue from downtown to Amherst Street are all wealthy or upper middle class, and there are other areas along Elmwood Avenue and in North Buffalo, too, that fit that description.

I used to live in Albany, and Hudson is about an 1 by train (33 miles) from Albany. It attracts people who work in NYC but don't want to spend the big $$$ to live in the NY metro, and it's those folks who are the impetus for the gentrification. Hudson's AMTRAK station is one of the busiest train stations in the country because it only takes about an hour and a half by train to get to Manhattan. I suspect that most live outside the Hudson city limits, but I'm sure this project is aimed at enticing more into living in the downtown area.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have a few dozen pictures of Prairie Crossing. Anything in particular that you wanted images of?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Examples of rural new urbanism?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 07 Nov 2011, 9:36 AM
  2. UK planning process Agricultural tie
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 10:40 AM
  3. Value of agricultural land