Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some generic SNL-related thread

Registered
    Mar 2007

Some generic SNL-related thread

I fell asleep on the couch Saturday evening and when I woke up SNL was on with Dana Carvey hosting and musical guest Linkin Park. I thought I had somehow woken up in 1996!

Moderator note:
    Maister - split from RTDNTOTO6
    Last edited by Maister; 07 Feb 2011 at 1:09 PM.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I fell asleep on the couch Saturday evening and when I woke up SNL was on with Dana Carvey hosting and musical guest Linkin Park. I thought I had somehow woken up in 1996!
    Best SNL in a while. I miss greats like Carvey. Wayne's World, party time, excellent!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    It probably was 2000 or so, considering that's when Linkin Park released their first album. But yeah, you can't beat SNL during the 90s. Adam Sandler, Dana Carvey, Chris Farley, Mike Myers, Will Ferrell, Molly Shannon, Phil Hartman, David Spade...
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    you can't beat SNL during the 90s. Adam Sandler, Dana Carvey, Chris Farley, Mike Myers, Will Ferrell, Molly Shannon, Phil Hartman, David Spade...
    Oh a bunch of old timers will probably disagree with you there, citing the late 70's line up from the 'Golden Age' (Belushi, Akroyd, Chase, etc)

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I fell asleep on the couch Saturday evening and when I woke up SNL was on with Dana Carvey hosting and musical guest Linkin Park.
    That's funny... the same thing happened to me! Birthday dinner + a couple of glasses of wine =

Phil Hartman was great. I never liked Molly Shannon, and I'm not crazy about Will Ferrell. Yup, the late '70s were better for SNL.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Oh a bunch of old timers will probably disagree with you there, citing the late 70's line up from the 'Golden Age' (Belushi, Akroyd, Chase, etc)
    Indeed. John Belushi, Dan Ackroyd, Gilda, Bill Murray, Garrett Morris, Larianne Newman, the Muppets, Franken and Davis and that ignorant slut Jane Curtin. Bass-O-Matic! Little Chocolate Donuts, Jimmy Carter talking down the kid on a bad trip, the Blues Brothers, the Yortuck Brothers, Wild and Crazy Guy Steve Martin and etc. I could remember more except I was pretty stoned most of the time.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Anybody who as ever said that this season of Saturday Night Live is the worst and that the show is on its last legs should watch the 6th season. Get it from Netflix. It's awful. Really, truly bad. Worse by several orders of magnitude than the worst episode from the ten years. The suck is strong with this one. Drop Kristin Wiig into season 6, and it would have been a vast improvement. There's a lot of sex humor, and very little of the drug humor that was the foundation of its cross-country rival of the time, Fridays. Really, no chemistry, no laughs ... it just feels like a low-budget local sketch comedy show on public access.

So far, I chuckled twice; a short film showing a couple of shoes humping, and Eddie Murphy on whites borrowing from black culture "Now it's 1980. We on welfare. By the end of next year, y'all going to be on welfare too."

The only other redeeming value; the humor is extremely New York-centric, much more so than any season before or afterward. The show offers an insight into a gritty, heavily Yiddish-flavored and declining New York that is long forgotten in the overgentrified post-Sex and the City era, a place where there was still a large working- and middle-class in Manhattan, cabbies were cigar-chewing toughs from Brooklyn, and ethnic diversity meant Southern Italians and Sicilians.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    A lot of folks make a big to-do about how this or that talented young comic happened to be on SNL certain years, but I'm of the opinion that a better barometer of SNL's greatness or lameness for any given season is probably judging by the quality of writing rather than the performers. Yes, there are differences in the level of performances and every season has bad skits, but some seasons have much more than others. More often than not that's the writers' fault.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I can't stand Kristin Wiig. Lots of people like her though. I just find her extremely one dimensional. Right now I watch SNL waiting for digital shorts. I think they are the only real originality on the show right now. Otherwise, most skits (outside of topical stuff) are reused or modified.

I mean come on D!ck in a Box won a Grammy. "I Just had Sex" is pure genius
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    A lot of folks make a big to-do about how this or that talented young comic happened to be on SNL certain years, but I'm of the opinion that a better barometer of SNL's greatness or lameness for any given season is probably judging by the quality of writing rather than the performers. Yes, there are differences in the level of performances and every season has bad skits, but some seasons have much more than others. More often than not that's the writers' fault.
    You probably also like to blame the coaches when your team cannot win on the field too!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    There was a really good article about Lorne Michaels in Rolling Stone. Explained the origin and the inspirations for the show. And the formula that has remained - the best material is before the musical guest's first song (often the one that is hot at the time), then Weekend Update, then the lesser material and the musical guest's B-side material, then the goodbyes. Without realizing the pattern, I have for the last few years usually turned SNL off after Weekend Update.

SNL will probably continue for some more years, because it is the only show on the weekend on the Big Three networks that has runs after the news. It provides NBC with national advertising revenue and gives local affiliates advertising revenue that they can charge more for. So long as it is profitable, it will remain.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    It probably was 2000 or so, considering that's when Linkin Park released their first album. But yeah, you can't beat SNL during the 90s. Adam Sandler, Dana Carvey, Chris Farley, Mike Myers, Will Ferrell, Molly Shannon, Phil Hartman, David Spade...
    This claim was, in fact, the subject of Saturday's monologue! This show was new, however, and not a rerun.

Carvey was a cast member on SNL from 1986 to 1993. I always felt he was a little too over-the-top, but had some good characters. But so many of those other cast members were really great. And poor Phil Hartman - what a way to go and what a great talent! (and by all accounts, a really fundamentally good person).
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Candygram

The Whiners

Samuri Dry Cleaners

I read or heard recently that Jennifer Anniston chose Friends over SNL - don't know how true that is...
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    And poor Phil Hartman - what a way to go and what a great talent! (and by all accounts, a really fundamentally good person).
    Nobody could deliver a line like Phil Hartman - "Get wardrobe over here right away. Take the Amigos clothes." I could listen to him read text books and laugh.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    For a long time my avatar here was Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.
    Last edited by mendelman; 08 Feb 2011 at 8:03 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    For a long time my avatar here was Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.
    You going to bust out the old avatar in honor of the thread?
    Last edited by mendelman; 08 Feb 2011 at 8:03 AM.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2007
    There is a Chris Farley-El Nino skit that probably the funniest one I have ever seen.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Did anyone see the Ladies of SNL special that was on a few weeks/months ago? Sadly, I found it pretty un-funny.

Jon Lovitz is pretty funny too. Who can forget Hannukah Harry?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    There is a Chris Farley-El Nino skit that probably the funniest one I have ever seen.

Chris Farley and Patrick Schwayze in the Chippendales audition skit.

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I read or heard recently that Jennifer Anniston chose Friends over SNL - don't know how true that is...
    Considering the Friends ended up making a million per episode each, I think she made the right move.

I am a big fan of the 70's era, you can't beat the Billy Goat Tavern, the Bees, Fred Garvin, or the Jerry Ford/Chevy Chase prat falls.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Chris Farley and Patrick Schwayze in the Chippendales audition skit.
    YES! So funny, I also love the one with him and Adam Sandler the gay beer commercial.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    You going to bust out the old avatar in honor of the thread?
    Ask and ye shall recieve.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Anybody remember the "All-Drug Olympics"?

I do miss those early 90's SNL years. Hartman was the best.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2004
    My favorite parts have always been the beginning-especially when they have the actors play presidents and political people. Will Ferrell's Bush was great.I kind of dig Armison's Obama too.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    YES! So funny, I also love the one with him and Adam Sandler the gay beer commercial.
    Ahh yes, who could forget Schmitt's Gay? I was going to post a clip of it from YouTube but unfortunately SNL does a pretty good job of keeping their content off of there. (But here's a pretty grainy version from another source http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/679770/... possibly NSFW).

I also really liked the Jack Handy Deep Thoughts. A couple of my personal favorites:

If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell
    him is, "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute
    thing to tell him is, "Probably because of something you did."
    To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kinda scary. I've
    wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time
    I went to the circus and a clown killed my dad.
    Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Generic FAC Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 97
    Last post: 11 Dec 2014, 12:59 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last post: 10 Nov 2014, 9:55 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 03 Jul 2012, 2:16 PM
  4. Teh Generic FAC Political Thread