Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: America's most miserable cities

Registered
    Jun 2002
    Interesting site:

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/am...ties-2011.html

This site has more to do with financial conditions than city planning. It is ok with me if this thread is removed. I don't know how to remove it.

Sorry I bothered you people.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Classic

That photo of the house in Stockton CA is classic, just classic. Bakersfied must be on that list.....I mean it is Bakersfield right

http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/...powerlines.wav
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2009
    I thought the quote from the City Manager was a gem...

"Stockton has issues that it needs to address, but an article like this is the equivalent of bayoneting the wounded," says Bob Deis, Stockton city manager.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Used to live in City #4 on the list. I hated it. Air was bad almost daily. It was pretty depressing when I thought about it and planning, don't get me started. Talk about bending overbackwards for developers. I swear, planning is non-existent there. It's a mess. I traded miserable city #4 for the happiest place to live in north america
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Of the top 20 it appears that Detroit has made the most progress by falling 11 spots from #4 to #15. Flint and Toledo (considered part of the larger Detroit manufacturing region) both fell as well while Chicago went up a few notches. The unemployment issue here has improved at a greater pace than the rest of the nation.

I'm not surprised by this. Detroit has typically led the nation into and out of recessions. Its a bell weather because folks who beging to feel nervous about the future don't buy new cars or trucks. Unfortunately, Detroit fell very hard, while things are picking up, they will never be what they once were unless it finds the same diversity in its economy that is found in its cultural make-up.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Why in the world would a list like this focus so much on the success of their professional sports teams? How is that an issue comparable with unemployment and crime?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    Why in the world would a list like this focus so much on the success of their professional sports teams? How is that an issue comparable with unemployment and crime?
    Obviously you have never lived with the Lions!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2004
    CA 99 has to be the most miserable highway in the USA, too - every major city on it is on that list!

Mike

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Not sure how the average house in Youngstown OH can cost $17,000. That's less than a car.

As usual, in discussing CA, they missed the imminently missable Imperial Valley, where OFFICIAL unemployment stands at 27%. I think the principal city of the valley, El Centro (population 41,000), actually has the highest official unemployment rate of any city in the US (30%). The El Centro-Calexico-Brawley metropolitan area (population about 170,000) has the highest metropolitan unemployment rate in the US (26%).

Wiki describes its economy thusly:
    "As of 2009 the employment of El Centro residents is dominated by the local government, California state government, and federal government. Two nearby prisons and the U.S. Border Patrol provide employment."
    ...and cabbage and alfalfa, of course.

This photo says it all:
    http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/895...0A760B0D811297

"Cemetery in Foreclosure".. I'd link more pics of the city, but there really is nothing to see.

Ironically, the metro area sits at the heart of one of America's richest food producing areas. I guess automated industrial agriculture doesn't provide any real employment anymore. The saddest thing is that CA's farming revenues have increased more than 60% since the mid 1990s. The 99 corridor mgk mentioned produces some $27 billion a year in produce revenue. It's rather sad - and ironic - that farming cannot sustain incomes or unemployment anymore. There was a time when this image would've signified wealth:
    http://media.lonelyplanet.com/lpimg/...-5/preview.jpg (Imperial Valley farmland.. $1.2 billion a year in crop production on 600,000 acres) Now it's all about poverty. The more successful the farms, the higher the unemployment rate, it seems.
    Last edited by Cismontane; 08 Feb 2011 at 12:51 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cismontane View post
    Not sure how the average house in Youngstown OH can cost $17,000. That's less than a car.
    Simple, its the law of supply and demand. My region has experienced a free-fall of housing prices simply due to the elimination of 400,000 manufacturing jobs. I would be lucky to get 1/5 of what my house was worth 10 years ago.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

BINGO

Quote Originally posted by Cismontane View post

As usual, in discussing CA, they missed the imminently missable Imperial Valley, where OFFICIAL unemployment stands at 27%. I think the principal city of the valley, El Centro (population 41,000), actually has the highest official unemployment rate of any city in the US (30%). The El Centro-Calexico-Brawley metropolitan area (population about 170,000) has the highest metropolitan unemployment rate in the US (26%).

Wiki describes its economy thusly:
    "As of 2009 the employment of El Centro residents is dominated by the local government, California state government, and federal government. Two nearby prisons and the U.S. Border Patrol provide employment."
    ...and cabbage and alfalfa, of course.

This photo says it all:
    http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/895...0A760B0D811297

"Cemetery in Foreclosure".. I'd link more pics of the city, but there really is nothing to see.

Ironically, the metro area sits at the heart of one of America's richest food producing areas. I guess automated industrial agriculture doesn't provide any real employment anymore. The saddest thing is that CA's farming revenues have increased more than 60% since the mid 1990s. The 99 corridor mgk mentioned produces some $27 billion a year in produce revenue. It's rather sad - and ironic - that farming cannot sustain incomes or unemployment anymore. There was a time when this image would've signified wealth:
    http://media.lonelyplanet.com/lpimg/...-5/preview.jpg (Imperial Valley farmland.. $1.2 billion a year in crop production on 600,000 acres) Now it's all about poverty. The more successful the farms, the higher the unemployment rate, it seems.
    We have a winner.....at least for California. At least those inner city problem areas are inna city El Centro STINKS! Seriously! The air quality there is SOOOO BAD! How bad you say? The air is so bad that when you pass gas there, the gas gags.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    We have a winner.....
    I suppose the fact the local paper has the following sections, says it all:

News, Sports, Opinion, Entertainment, Business, Lifestyle, Crime, Education, and Tough Times.

To give you an idea, the El Centro food bank claims to have served 166,000 county residents in 2009. The County only has 200,000 residents.

Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    CA 99 has to be the most miserable highway in the USA, too - every major city on it is on that list!

Mike
    Couldn't agree with you more!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Apparently, people in Stockton, CA are really really unhappy with Forbes.

http://fieldnotes.msnbc.msn.com/_new...snubs-hometown

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Used to live in City #4 on the list. I hated it. Air was bad almost daily. It was pretty depressing when I thought about it and planning, don't get me started. Talk about bending overbackwards for developers. I swear, planning is non-existent there. It's a mess. I traded miserable city #4 for the happiest place to live in north america
    At least it's church filled and plenty of conservatives with good morals. Not all of Bakersfield or Fresno or Stockton is bad.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by urban19 View post
    At least it's church filled and plenty of conservatives with good morals. Not all of Bakersfield or Fresno or Stockton is bad.
    Oh Lord. This is going to get ugly.... I thought it was bad before... but this just... nevermind, I am out of these threads for good now....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    Very strange that tax rates rank so highly in that article. There are lots of great cities to live in that couldn't be so without a high tax rate.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 130
    Last post: 15 Apr 2013, 1:16 PM
  2. America's most drunk cities
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 18 Feb 2010, 5:49 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 21 Apr 2008, 10:04 AM
  4. Replies: 39
    Last post: 09 Apr 2006, 8:53 PM