Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Trouble with exporting multi-data frame map to PDF

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2003

Trouble with exporting multi-data frame map to PDF

Has anyone had trouble exporting maps with more than one data frame? I created a map with three data frames, yet the largest scale map was simply blue polygons, rather than the symbology I applied, when I opened the PDF.

Anybody had similar experiences? Solutions to this problem?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Tall Fella' View post
    Has anyone had trouble exporting maps with more than one data frame? I created a map with three data frames, yet the largest scale map was simply blue polygons, rather than the symbology I applied, when I opened the PDF.

Anybody had similar experiences? Solutions to this problem?
    [old coot]

Back when we had v .3.x, we were happy just to get an export...

[/old coot]

IME its a function of having too much stuff to process with the available processing power. Cut the extraneous actions, especially if you are on an older machine. Maybe lower res images. If you are doing a poster, can you get to a newer PC?

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Sounds like it is most likely an issue of dpi. I would try lowering the resolution first.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Have you considered using a screen capture as an alternative. Having started using computers in the days of DOS, screen captures were used more frequently because there were fewer printing choices. Depending upon the size and quality of your monitor, a screen capture may work for your purposes. You can also use the screen zoom function to narrow down the area that your capture.

In the event you are unfamiliar with screen captures, use the PrtScn button along the top of your keyboard You can then create a "New" working window in Photoshop and then paste the screen capture in. Use Photoshop to crop and improve the quality of your capture from there.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    If you don't need to turn layers on and off in the PDF, you could try using a PDF creator like Cute PDF. It is a free version of Acrobat Distiller. It installs a printer which "prints" a PDF. I have used it for a long time and it works well. It is available here:

http://www.cutepdf.com/

Registered
    Aug 2001
    While I have not experienced trouble creating PDFs, I more oftn will export as a JPG, which is easier to use in other programs. (hint: click on the tab to clip the output to the image extent.) That file can subsequently be converted to a PDF if you require that format.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Quote Originally posted by smccutchan1 View post
    Have you considered using a screen capture as an alternative. Having started using computers in the days of DOS, screen captures were used more frequently because there were fewer printing choices. Depending upon the size and quality of your monitor, a screen capture may work for your purposes. You can also use the screen zoom function to narrow down the area that your capture.

In the event you are unfamiliar with screen captures, use the PrtScn button along the top of your keyboard You can then create a "New" working window in Photoshop and then paste the screen capture in. Use Photoshop to crop and improve the quality of your capture from there.
    Xnview is an excellent screen capture program that I've been using for years. You can then save into several formats.

Also, when saving to PDF, I've had to check the pdf settings before saving because some are set for default, while others need to be selected. At a previous job, I fiddled around with the settings until I was able to save to pdf from any data frame.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    While I have not experienced trouble creating PDFs, I more oftn will export as a JPG, which is easier to use in other programs. (hint: click on the tab to clip the output to the image extent.) That file can subsequently be converted to a PDF if you require that format.
    This was going to be my suggestion. Try exporting to JPG first, then converting to PDF. You should be able to maintain a high resolution this way as well. Good luck!
    Occupy Your Brain!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Time frame metrics for development approvals
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 May 2012, 3:14 PM
  2. Another GIS issue: exporting to PDF
    Information Technology
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 19 Oct 2009, 10:28 AM
  3. Replies: 3