Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar Nazi discussion subforum

Registered
    Feb 2004

Grammar Nazi discussion subforum

Do double negatives like 'not uncommon', 'not unlike', or 'not without' carry exactly the same meaning as 'common', 'like' or 'with' in your opinion? If so, why would one ever consider using them?

What annoys you?
    Last edited by Maister; 09 Feb 2011 at 11:41 AM.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Thank you fro bringing this up!! Why do people say, "not unlike" instead of just "like"?
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think it sounds long and therefore more educated. Personally I get annoyed because it makes a simple converstation much more complicated. If something is similar, say so. Saying it is not unlike something is wasted wordsmithing.

How can you not undislike these types of things?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Is it:

In regard to...

or

In regards to...

I always thought it was the former, but individuals I know have said otherwise.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    Thank you fro bringing this up!! Why do people say, "not unlike" instead of just "like"?
    Its "for" not "fro".
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Do double negatives like 'not uncommon', 'not unlike', or 'not without' carry exactly the same meaning as 'common', 'like' or 'with' in your opinion? If so, why would one ever consider using them?

What annoys you?
    Grammar Notzis.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2002
    It's means "it is". Its means ownership. Get them straight!
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Now, I was raised a farm girl, and I understand that you can loose your horses in the pasture, but how the heck do you loose a game or your cell phone????

Registered
    Jul 2006
    People who don't know the difference between prostrate and prostate or cavalry and calvary.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    I think it sounds long and therefore more educated. Personally I get annoyed because it makes a simple converstation much more complicated. If something is similar, say so. Saying it is not unlike something is wasted wordsmithing.

How can you not undislike these types of things?
    I can't disagree with that.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Has anyone else noticed that people no longer use the word "unlimited," but instead substitute "limitless"? I've thought of writing to the Word Court columnist about that one.

I am definitely a Grammar Nazi. It drives me nuts to see people add apostrophes to plurals (as in odd's and end's) - what, you didn't learn about plurals in first grade?! And how difficult is it to remember the differences between they're, their, and there?!

I would argue that irregardless is not a word, though others disagree... see Grammar Girl's take on it.

Yes, I could go on...

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I would argue that irregardless is not a word, though others disagree... see Grammar Girl's take on it.

Yes, I could go on...

I hate that word!

So many times i see people using "your" instead or "you're" like Your going to the store...come on folks!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2008
    not a grammar thing but why do TV shows say "All new" instead of just "new".

It's a good thing they say "all" or we might think they are reusing scenes from last week.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    And people, especially those doing commercial ad copy, who insist on putting apostrophe's in their plural's - it just grates me like fingernails on a chalkboard. I'll likely go to a competitor if I even see that in a printed ad.

Mike

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I dislike it when people do not pronounce the "R" in February. My word, it's right there in front of you, pronounce it. The word is Feb - ru - ary. It's not even difficult to say. I'll tolerate people who can't pronounce "Jewelry", but not "February".
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I dislike it when people do not pronounce the "R" in February. My word, it's right there in front of you, pronounce it. The word is Feb - ru - ary. It's not even difficult to say. I'll tolerate people who can't pronounce "Jewelry", but not "February".
    Don't get me started. The sort of human refuse that doesn't pronounce February with two r's is nearly as contemptible as the sort that pronounce Wed-nes-day as 'Wenzday'. Send them to the nearest 'grammar re-education' camp, says I.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    The sort of human refuse that doesn't pronounce February with two r's is nearly as contemptible as the sort that pronounce Wed-nes-day as 'Wenzday'.
    I know what you mean. To say it 'Wenzday' without the slightest nod to the soft d is to completely ignore the Norse Mythos that gave us the word in the first place! It's shameful.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005
    Its not there toys too play with.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Its not there toys too play with.
    A certain former co-worker of mine used to have a hell of a time with this sort of thing. The manufacturer installed spell check can only do so much.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    A certain former co-worker of mine used to have a hell of a time with this sort of thing. The manufacturer installed spell check can only do so much.
    Spell check without a grammar check is useless. Even when combined, they don't address context very well.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    What about liebarry vs. library? Drives me nutso.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    If you seriously pronounce February "Feb-ru-ary" and get upset at people that don't I'd probably chuckle a little bit. If your listeners have a common understanding of something than it is correct. Spoken language changes much faster than written language so it is acceptable either way. Why is "wenz-day" acceptable and not "wed-NES-day" - in theory iyou should be upset about both. Language changes over time and that's okay - that's why we don't speak the same as Thomas Jefferson did or Shakespeare did or King Richard did before him.

On a lighter note - knowledge, knife, knee, and knack have silent K's, right? Using that line thinking, I am reading names off a list and come to an Eric Knipple. I call him Eric "Nipple" and everyone starts laughing and I embarrass the poor guy. Why isn't the K silent there - because it's a proper noun and they don't have to follow the rules. But so is February, so who is to say what is correct or not?

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Grammar. It is how other people understand what you are saying.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    because it's a proper noun and they don't have to follow the rules. But so is February, so who is to say what is correct or not?
    Don't make me hurt you.

Registered
    May 2005
    I do not refudiate any of what you are saying.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Attention Grammar Experts
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 69
    Last post: 29 Jun 2013, 5:05 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 02 Jul 2012, 10:54 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 01 Apr 2008, 2:33 PM
  4. Replies: 4