Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Interning with a master's degree

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008

Interning with a master's degree

I'm graduating this spring and will be moving with my partner as she does grad school. This will mean looking for a job in a new city, which I'm expecting to be a serious uphill battle.

I've worked hard while I was in school, I'm coming out of a solid program, held down multiple internships, built up a portfolio, and taught GIS courses for a year now. That said, I'm not taking for granted that there will be a job out there when I finish. I've built up some savings and am prepared to take on a non-planning job part-time while I look, but I'm also starting to wonder if I should consider internship postings as well once I graduate.

Given the economy, how would you respond if you saw a master's graduate applying for an internship in your office?

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I don't have my Master's (just bachelor's), but I just landed an internship after college, after I had already interned all throughout college and was expecting to land a full-time job. I say if you see an internship, apply to it, just as you would a full-time entry-level job. And if you can't find an internship, try asking for one, even if it's volunteer. In this economy, everyone has gone down a peg. Which means recent grads are definitely being favored for internships. In this economy, many employers would much rather have someone who is very competent and experienced that can do lots of work for them for a fraction of the cost.

Anything relating to planning (whether it's internship or full-time job) is better than nothing at all. Do whatever it takes to stay relevant in this career during the recession, gain experience, and continue to improve your resume.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by mobiusstrip View post

Given the economy, how would you respond if you saw a master's graduate applying for an internship in your office?
    I'd be curious and look at your resume. A new address is a clue. Shouldn't be an issue for me.

This is the new normal and people are scrambling for jobs. This is what happens and hopefully the HR department understands this, but that is no guarantee.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Well it is unfortunate but I think the biggest factor is going to be where you are moving to. If there are no jobs or even internships available I'd be at a loss as far as giving advice (outside of go where the job takes you). I've been interning for almost a year now since getting my bachelors in May. I'm currently under consideration for an entry level job 500 miles from home, and that's the closest one I could find! But hey, sometimes success is just a measure of how bad do you want it, and what are you willing to do to get it.

Registered
    May 2002
    My first planning job was while I was in graduate school and the job counted as my internship. It worked out fin. Good luck!
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Go for an internship if you can find one. Even if the pay isn't great, it could lead to a permanent position within a year. I've recommended this to many others, because it worked for meódon't just apply to posted internships. Send your resume and cover letter to ever planning firm/department/organization within a reasonable commuting distance of your new future home and ask them for internship opportunities. If you are graduating in May, I would start now.

Companies often use internships as testing grounds for prospective permanent employees. Take an internship and work to impress them with good work ethic, ability to acquire new skills, good writing and communication, supportive teamwork, and no drama/immaturity. At some point, you could let them know that you're interested in a long-term opportunity, but are happy to be there even if it's only temporary.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Master's degree vs professional experience
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 15 Nov 2013, 11:11 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 09 May 2011, 4:18 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 20 May 2010, 10:51 PM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last post: 03 Sep 2008, 8:29 PM