Urban planning community

Poll results: Where do you keep your schedule?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Day planner book

5 13.51%
  • Smart phone (iPhone, Android, other)

13 35.14%
  • PDA (Palm, other brands)

0 0%
  • Collection of paper scraps, backs of business cards and the like.

3 8.11%
  • In my head, man. In my head.

4 10.81%
  • Why do you hate America?

1 2.70%
  • You Americain, you are so, how you say, stupide, no? We Europeans are not slaves to the clock and calendar. It is so much more civilized, no?

1 2.70%
  • Hey, Dan, you forgot ...(OUTLOOK)

10 27.03%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Planners love planners: our attachment to the day planner book

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Planners love planners: our attachment to the day planner book

First staff meeting, and we're going over the schedule for upcoming Planing Board and staff meetings. I take out my iPhone, fire up the calendar app, and enter the schedule there. The other three planners pull out huge day planner books, and write them down.

On Cyburbia, we often discuss how so many planners are Luddites at heart. Despite being a profession that seems like a natural for embracing technology, such as GIS, visualization software, simulation software, social networking, and the like, we all know too many peers who print out their emails to read, or who still depend on the interdepartmental envelope for passing messages.

I found that the vast majority of planners I've worked with use a day planner for their schedules. Wile those around us depend on smart phones or old PDAs, planners love planners. Have you found this to be true?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    On Cyburbia, we often discuss how so many planners are Luddites at heart. Despite being a profession that seems like a natural for embracing technology, such as GIS, visualization software, simulation software, social networking, and the like, we all know too many peers who print out their emails to read, or who still depend on the interdepartmental envelope for passing messages.

I found that the vast majority of planners I've worked with use a day planner for their schedules. W[hile] those around us depend on smart phones or old PDAs, planners love planners. Have you found this to be true?
    IME planners are just like everyone else, and the aggregate population of planners is generally similar to the population as a whole wrt consuming consumer products. Having a day planner vs an iPhone doesn't make them Luddites or less gooder planners. It just means an individual has consumed one less consumer product and has one less monthly payment for the latest essential that someone has told them they need.

And likely there is the same proportion of planners as the rest of the population that have the same number of the 'latest' gadgets to signal whatever it is they are signaling.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I write mine in a planner that stays on my desk in case the assistant needs to know. Otherwise, I'm pretty good at remembering dates and appointments.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I keep mine in Outlook on my laptop but keep that sync'd with my phone.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2007
    My office uses Google Calendar. Every staff member has a calendar and then we have a master staff calendar which includes office holidays, staff meetings and anytime anyone uses our large conference room. This works out great b/c I have an Android phone which syncs with my Google Calendars. My phone has a great widget which shows everything on my calendar for the next week. I had a paper planner last year and hardly used it, for me it is just easier to pull out my phone and add to/check my calendar.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I keep mine in Outlook on my laptop but keep that sync'd with my phone.
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    My office uses Google Calendar. Every staff member has a calendar and then we have a master staff calendar which includes office holidays, staff meetings and anytime anyone uses our large conference room. This works out great b/c I have an Android phone which syncs with my Google Calendars. My phone has a great widget which shows everything on my calendar for the next week. I had a paper planner last year and hardly used it, for me it is just easier to pull out my phone and add to/check my calendar.
    same here - Google syncs with Outlook which syncs with my Crackberry

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I use a little pocket calendar. One week to a spread. Fits in my shirt pocket. Ned Ludd gave me my first one.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Hey Dan, you forgot...

The good ol' fashioned wall calendar
    Microsoft Outlook

I relied heavily on a regular wall calendar all throughout college and still to this day to track appointments, meetings, work schedules, exam dates (in school), assignment and paper due dates (in school), and special events.

When I interned, I used Microsoft Outlook to plan work-related meetings, appointments, events, and whatnot. I expect to use this again when I begin my next job.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I use Mircosoft Outlooks...I use it to set up meetings with staff in other departments and inter-departmentally for meetings. I have noticed meeting attendance up since I instituted the outlook calendar meeting reminder it does the babysitting for me.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The office has kind of forced us all onto outlook.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Both outlook-we have a staff calendar on the shared drive. I also put meetings/events in my phones
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

My administrative assistant kept trying to purchase day planners for me and I had to finally tell her I'm not interested because if it doesn't fit in my pocket, it's not handy and I won't use it.

I use my personal crackberry to keep work and non-work schedules up-to-date.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I don't use my phone for work so for me it's not easy to schedule things and rely on it for that one thing. A big desk calender right on my desk allows me to write things in as I'm on the phone, quickly scratch out canceled meetings, etc. You may find a phone easier to use but for me (and I'm younger than most on here) nothing beats a nice, easily visible desk calender.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I keep mine in my Lotus Note calendar, which is then sync'd with my blackberry. However, at the end of each month, I print out that calendar, color in the dates I have my daughter and other personal appointments and events, and keep a paper copy in my purse.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Like many others here, we're forced into Outlook. I don't have a smart phone, though, so I only view my schedule on my computer and laptop.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    We all use Outlook in my office. When I am at a meeting I just write down important details, etc. in my notebook and then input into Outlook when back in my office. Maybe someday I'll get a smartphone.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I used MS Outlook. Since my job is on 2003 Office Server, It does not support the Iphone, so I have to manually sync it through my work computer. As of the end of this month we will be on 2010 server. thank god. On the fly updating and being tethered to my phone again.

I like outlook because i can assign tasks to the interns and track projects on a long term basis. Not to mention i can organize my emails into folders and have great electronic records.

I can't stand the paper calendars. Can't take them with me and already bulky in my opinion. I have been on an electronic calendar since 2001 days of my first palm pilot.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    They're trying to foist Outlook on me but I steadfastly remain committed to my big ol' desk calendar.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I put things on the calendar hanging outside my cube when I remember to but generally keep appointments in my head or on random scraps of paper. I find it best not to leave a detailed trail of my daily comings and goings.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    I'm a big believer in the paper planner. I use a letter sized monthly planner, which I particularly like because it has plenty of room for notes in the back, which I use for meetings when I don't expect to take lots of notes, but might need jot down the big points.

I tried google calendar, but I often didn't have my phone with me when I needed to plan things, etc so it became a pain to update it when I got back to the desk. When I get back to an office environment (I'm a grad student), I'll likely go back to outlook like we did at my old office.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Yeah, I forgot to add non-portable calendars like Microsoft Outlook (probably because it's not as portable as the other options), and the classic freebie desk calendar.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I go Old School with my day planner book. It contains my life. I have a Bb, but dont use it to its full potential - I like the book. But the other day, I left it somewhere and was lost until I got it back... its probably time to make the switch.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Generations and their gadgets

February 11, 2011 18:38

From the February 3 Press Release:

Many devices have become popular across generations, with a majority now owning cell phones, laptops and desktop computers. Younger adults are leading the way in increased mobility, preferring laptops to desktops and using their cell phones for a variety of functions, including internet, email, music, games, and video.

* Cell phones are by far the most popular device among American adults. Some 85% of adults own cell phones, and 90% of all adults—including 62% of those age 75 and older—live in a household with at least one working cell phone.
    * Desktop computers are most popular with adults ages 35-65, and Millennials are the only generation that is more likely to own a laptop computer or netbook than a desktop: 70% own a laptop, compared with 57% who own a desktop.
    * Almost half of all adults own an iPod or other mp3 player, but these are still most popular with Millennials—74% of adults ages 18-34 own an mp3 player, compared with only 56% of the next oldest generation, Gen X (ages 35-46).
    * Game consoles are uniformly popular with all adults ages 18-46, 63% of whom own these devices.
    * Overall, 5% of adults own an e-book reader, and 4% own an iPad or other tablet computer.
    More here.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Finally I am in the minority of adults that do not own several of those.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I have been using the Outlook method untill now, but I think now that I am a PD I need to get a smartphone and sync my work and private schedules.

Plus, then I'll have a cool web-enabled phone.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 11 Nov 2011, 12:53 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Feb 2011, 4:10 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 15 Nov 2010, 10:39 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last post: 28 Dec 2004, 1:51 PM