Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: NY Times Book Review of 'Triumph of the City'

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

NY Times Book Review of 'Triumph of the City'

How Our Greatest Invention Makes Us Richer, Smarter, ≠Greener, Healthier, and Happier

HIGHLIGHT:
    Glaeserís got some tough words for poorly reasoned public policies that feed suburban living

thereís a lot of policy in this book, but not a lot of politics. Itís about ideas, not implementation.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2010

Triumph of the City is Misguided and Inaccurate

Just finished Triumph of the City. Bottom line- economists should not try to be city planners. Glaeser slams historic preservation and basically blames planners for stunting the growth and dynamism of cities. He makes some unbelievable statements about growth and housing affordability. In his view, new tall buildings are the cure to almost everything. As long as the city allows growth in any shape or form, everything will be hunky dory.

Has anyone else read this book yet?????

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I'm still in the middle of the book, but it's a good read to me thus far. I do agree with the premise that it's about ideas, not implementation.

Does he slam historic preservation? From what I've read thus far I don't necessarily think so. "there is much worth keeping in our cities -- but it always comes at a cost", personally I agree with his thought.

I hope to finish reading it soon.First time reading a Kindle book, using my ipod touch -- a little insane admittedly.

Registered
    Jun 2010
    He does criticize historic preservationists, and I believe rightly so. By no means does Glaeser say there is no use for historic preservation, but that there should be a limit to what is deemed worthy of preserving. Also, these limits should by no means eternally fixed as well.

Simply put, if one believes in the laws of supply and demand, then (excessive) historical preservation has a negative effect on housing affordability.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Book list and review
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Jun 2010, 10:18 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 04 Nov 2007, 5:00 PM
  3. Book Review
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Sep 2006, 9:39 AM