Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Columbia MUP

  1. #1

    Columbia MUP

    Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone out there studying planning at Columbia could help me with a few questions. I've been reading the Planetizen guide recently, but Columbia didn't respond to it, so I'm kind of missing some basic info that I'd like to have as my decision letters come in.

    - How many students are studying full-time vs. part-time? Does the program's student body seem cohesive?
    - How do you find the size of the program?
    - What do you think are the strengths/weaknesses of the program?
    - What is the balance between practice and theory being taught?

    Thanks SO much in advance for your help. If you'd prefer, you can e-mail me at kmart1223@gmail.com.

  2. #2
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally posted by kmart1223 View post
    Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone out there studying planning at Columbia could help me with a few questions. I've been reading the Planetizen guide recently, but Columbia didn't respond to it, so I'm kind of missing some basic info that I'd like to have as my decision letters come in.

    - How many students are studying full-time vs. part-time? Does the program's student body seem cohesive?
    - How do you find the size of the program?
    - What do you think are the strengths/weaknesses of the program?
    - What is the balance between practice and theory being taught?

    Thanks SO much in advance for your help. If you'd prefer, you can e-mail me at kmart1223@gmail.com.
    -Full Time ~57; Part Time ~2/3 (This is for class of 2012)
    -Class of 2012 is 57 people, Class of 2011 is ~30. The larger class for 12 makes the dynamic so much more awesome. People know each other more, because you have a larger pool of people to choose from.
    -Strength/Weaknesses: PM me
    -Practice Vs. Theory: Its good.
    MS Urban Planning '12
    GSAPP

  3. #3
    Member
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    7
    hi, I've also been accepted to the Columbia GSAPP program and am interested in doing international planning related to basic infrastructure aid/development. would love to hear your advice on the strengths and weaknesses of the program,

    thanks in advance!

  4. #4
    Member
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San diego
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally posted by skeeter View post
    -Full Time ~57; Part Time ~2/3 (This is for class of 2012)
    -Class of 2012 is 57 people, Class of 2011 is ~30. The larger class for 12 makes the dynamic so much more awesome. People know each other more, because you have a larger pool of people to choose from.
    -Strength/Weaknesses: PM me
    -Practice Vs. Theory: Its good.
    I don't know how I can PM to you....

    I want to know about strength and weakness of Columbia since I've got admission from it.

    I'd be glad if you tell me about your experience in Columbia.

  5. #5

    what is up with Columbia?

    The UP program at GSAPP is quite a mystery.

    I am into Urban Planning programs at Columbia GSAPP, NYU Wagner and UMD.

    I'm studying housing and economic development. I'm leaning Columbia for the international coursework and location.

    I was impressed by the professors when I visited Columbia but there is so little information about the strength of their planning program, where their alums are working, etc. And I'm concerned about not having access to strong management and program analysis coursework like at NYU and UMD. It seems like a challenge to add business school classes as well.

    Any feedback on planning programs at Columbia or NYU? They are so different!

    Skeeter, would be interested to hear about strengths/weaknesses from your perspective, or your colleagues or alums.

  6. #6
    Member
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8
    I got into both programs as well, but already dropped NYU b/c they're not giving a scholarship, and because it's within the school of Public Policy. Columbia is heavy on studios, theory, design, and international development. From what i've read and heard, there is a lot of freedom to choose various aspects of planning, and there are all kinds of group projects within each aspect of planning, especially those already mentioned. There are also "methods" courses that teach specific skills like GIS. For Housing/Economic development specifically, I'm not sure which program is stronger though, however, Columbia seems to have a higher reputation among experts.

    Hope this helps at least a little.

  7. #7
    That is helpful, thanks! I am now weighing Columbia and University of Maryland - for many of the reasons you described. I'm trying to decide whether I want the glory of NYC or practical and more affordable UMD.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally posted by skeeter View post
    -Full Time ~57; Part Time ~2/3 (This is for class of 2012)
    -Class of 2012 is 57 people, Class of 2011 is ~30. The larger class for 12 makes the dynamic so much more awesome. People know each other more, because you have a larger pool of people to choose from.
    -Strength/Weaknesses: PM me
    -Practice Vs. Theory: Its good.
    I didn't think you could do part time at Columbia UP

  9. #9
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally posted by Sebrof View post
    I didn't think you could do part time at Columbia UP
    You can't.
    MS Urban Planning '12
    GSAPP

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Hi from Columbia MO!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 09 Nov 2012, 8:24 AM
  2. Columbia / USC
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Apr 2008, 3:05 PM
  3. Columbia
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 25 Mar 2008, 11:46 AM
  4. Columbia
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Mar 2008, 12:55 AM
  5. Hello from Columbia, SC
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 24 Sep 2007, 8:36 AM