Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: I'm selecting a grad school

I'm selecting a grad school

Hello all,
    I start grad school next fall in Urban Planning and will focus on Transportation.
    I have narrowed down my selection to 2 Universities but am at a dead lock.

Texas A&M or University of Illinois- Chicago

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Don't know anything about Texas but I'm from Chicago and think it's one of the most kick-ass fun cities you'll ever get to see.

Oh yea, UIC is pretty nice too. Living in Greektown, walking downtown to class, wanna trade places with me right now I'm in central Illinois!!!

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by TransportationGuy View post
    Hello all,
    I start grad school next fall in Urban Planning and will focus on Transportation.
    I have narrowed down my selection to 2 Universities but am at a dead lock.

Texas A&M or University of Illinois- Chicago

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    So you already got accepted to both?

Which to choose will very much depend on what type of environment you want to live and study in. If you want a very urban experience, choose UIC. If not, choose A&M.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

So you already got accepted to both?
    I have been accepted by Texas A&M already, waiting to hear back from UIC but it looks promising. The difference in environment is a great point. Thanks for bringing it up!

They are complete opposites,
    UIC = urban environment with afternoon classes
    A&M= calm campus lifestyle with morning classes.

I'm afraid I'm going to make the wrong decision.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by TransportationGuy View post
    I have been accepted by Texas A&M already, waiting to hear back from UIC but it looks promising. The difference in environment is a great point. Thanks for bringing it up!

They are complete opposites,
    UIC = urban environment with afternoon classes
    A&M= calm campus lifestyle with morning classes.

I'm afraid I'm going to make the wrong decision.
    Exactly. Being in Ames, I'd expect a similar type of campus and town environment at A&M. If you are looking for something completely different (big city life), UIC is for you.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Sep 2010
    It's also a good idea to consider the environment not just for your lifestyle but what opportunities will be available for internships and access to local professionals. Being that you are interested in transportation especially the two cities face very different transportation challenges. Texas A&M is located in a car-dependent town for example, and therefore I would presume that UIC would have better resources regarding mass transit...

Whichever school you choose will have aspects or elements that are better than the other school so don't beat yourself up over the decision- or at least- when you do make your decision don't continue to second guess it.

Congratulations and good luck!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    I had to decide between almost complete opposites for grad school too, West Coast and East Coast. Here's the advice a prof who wrote one of my recommendation letters gave me on for making my school decision, which works any time you're trying to make a bigger decision, as long as you have enough time. May sound simple, but it worked for me. Go through one day as if you'd picked Choice A. Don't think about Choice B that day. Just imagine what it would be like to have gone with Choice A and pay attention to how that makes you feel. Then the next day, do the same with just Choice B. Don't think about Choice A that day.

Part of what makes deciding difficult is the constant going back and forth between the two. Doing this really helped me with my decision since I was really stuck in trying to choose between two very different places/schools/offers. Interestingly, after I did this, I completely switched to the other choice I had thought I would not have been happy with and was leaning against. It ended up being a good decision for me for many reasons. YMMV. Good luck with your decision!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    If you're interested in transportation, A&M has the Texas Transportation Institute on campus. As I understand, it's the largest transportation research center in the country.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Grad School Q's
    Student Commons
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 12 Jan 2007, 1:22 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Jul 2006, 1:53 AM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last post: 31 Dec 2003, 1:19 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 19 Sep 2002, 12:00 AM