Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Considering masters in urban planning

Registered
    Feb 2011

Considering masters in urban planning

Hi, I'm currently a junior in college thinking about applying for a masters in urban planning next winter. I can't really decide if I want to do it or not, and as it is expensive, I have no desire to make a hasty decision. So I'm just looking for some feedback as to what could help me decide. I've spoken to others in the field and they say having a desire to help the public would be high on the list, but other than that I'm not sure.

Also, when would I have to choose a specialization by?

-Thanks

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by psfraga View post
    Hi, I'm currently a junior in college thinking about applying for a masters in urban planning next winter. I can't really decide if I want to do it or not, and as it is expensive, I have no desire to make a hasty decision. So I'm just looking for some feedback as to what could help me decide. I've spoken to others in the field and they say having a desire to help the public would be high on the list, but other than that I'm not sure.

Also, when would I have to choose a specialization by?

-Thanks
    Why do you want to get into planning? What is your goal? What is your major now? What are your interests in planning? What do you expect to be paid when you graduate?
    No Signature Required

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Go into banking.

That's what I tell everyone who ask me about entering the planning field. If you're capable of managing an excel spreadsheet (which most planners need to be), you're capable of working in banking, making 2-3 x the salary.

Don't get fuzzy woolly ideas about public service. It's rarely worth it at the end of the day.

Quote Originally posted by PennPlanner View post
    Go into banking.

That's what I tell everyone who ask me about entering the planning field. If you're capable of managing an excel spreadsheet (which most planners need to be), you're capable of working in banking, making 2-3 x the salary.

Don't get fuzzy woolly ideas about public service. It's rarely worth it at the end of the day.
    This made me laugh out loud, I respect your honesty. Just out of curiosity, what do you do?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Go into banking.

Can i sell my soul for a donut too?
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Go into banking.

You can make a lot of money as a derivatives trader, but then it's debatable whether the job you're performing has any social value whatsoever. Retail banking has a little more respectability in my eyes, although I've been struck recently by how nakedly banks are trying to make a buck off their customers.

I work at a retail bank, I can do some incredible things with a spreadsheet, and I'm going to have to fight tooth and nail for my next raise. If I'm going to be paid poorly I'd like to at least have some moral satisfaction...and so planning enters the picture.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by boghead View post
    If I'm going to be paid poorly I'd like to at least have some moral satisfaction...and so planning enters the picture.
    That's one part of why I chose planning years ago. I wouldn't have a problem making less money IF I got to work on some really cool projects. Well, I have worked on many cool projects in several states BUT there was a constant cycle of hiring and layoffs, shifting around, and never really settling down. Moving up the planning ladder has come at a significant cost to the rest of my social life, dating life, etc.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 16 Oct 2013, 12:33 AM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last post: 23 Jul 2013, 6:03 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Aug 2010, 4:48 PM
  4. Urban planning masters