Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Summer Vacations - 2011

Registered
    Mar 2007

Summer Vacations - 2011

There was a 2010 thread on the subject that was always pretty interesting, so here's the 2011 attempt...

My wife and I are planning a trip to Seattle in July for a friend's wedding. It's the first time out there for longer than just a few hours for either of us. We are planning to leave our daughter who will be just about 11 months by then with my in-laws while we are gone so it will also be our first evening(s) away from her (and probably last for quite some time).

The few times I was in Seattle before, the city and the surrounding area always seemed so gorgeous so I'm hoping for nice weather because I want to take a side trip out to Mt. Ranier National Park or maybe Olympic National Park. It will be nice to be in an area with some actual topography for once! (The hills alluded to in my location description are downright laughable by the standards of those in many other parts of the country.)

We're tentatively planning on being out there for 4 or 5 nights. Any suggestions from the throbbing Cyburbian Brain on places we should visit if I want my wife to absolutely in love with the area and randomly suggest we should move there?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    For several years, our family has talked about a summer trip to the Black Hills, but it has been put off for one reason or another. So it is proposed once again. I haven't been to the Black Hills in 15 years or so. My wife and son have never seen that area. My first visit was amazing because it was the first time I saw the Northern Lights.

The annual father-son camping trip is also scheduled for this summer. The destination is not yet decided upon. We went to Bear Lake last summer and that would suit me fine again.

As for where to go in the Seattle area, the Olympia National Park is wonderful if you have the time. There is a great air and space museum in the Seattle area too.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post

We're tentatively planning on being out there for 4 or 5 nights. Any suggestions from the throbbing Cyburbian Brain on places we should visit if I want my wife to absolutely in love with the area and randomly suggest we should move there?
    Visit the place where Irene got slapped by stephen in the 7th season of the real world?

I will be taking an early summer/spring vacation to Central America at the end of April beginning of May. It is our family's 1st vacation since 2008, so looking forward to lots of warm water, surf, and sand
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Tentative plans for this Bear and Katie span a 2-year period.....

Katie is scheduled for surgery in a week. She will be burning most of her vacation days during the recovery period. Any vacation plans for this year will be short trips (long weekends) to places such as Chicago, Niagara Falls ("slowly I turn"...), Cincinnati. If we squeeze in an Upper Peninsula excursion this summer it will be short (if Katie tags along) or the "we" changes to "me" and I go on a longer trip with me and my boat, perhaps to Lake Michigamme (central YooPee).

We are already planning on a major trip in summer of 2012.....

Fly to Vegas, check out Hoover Dam, drive to "The City of the Angels". Spend a couple days in L.A., maybe hop the "coast special" (Amtrak) and ride the rails to San Francisco. After some time in S.F., jump on the Pacific Coast Highway and work our way north to "the land of Otis", turning east and jogging toward PDX. My son and his family are in suburban Portlandia. After some time with them, fly back to Detroit or Chicago, and wander back home.

Just think, in about six months, summer will be nearly over.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    At this point, nothing big in the plans...

- A short golf trip with the guys over to Perdido Key for golf in the middle of April
    - Heading to central Florida for some debauchery with ZG in May.
    - Junket, courtesy of the DoD, for a military conference in Nashville at the end of July.
    - A possible trip to upstate New York for a laefest. Date TBD.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Just my normal trip back to where I'm from for 10 days, hopefully for my grandmother's 92nd birthday. I may actually take the train up to Chicago for a day trip.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Probably the usual trip to Colorado for the sculpture show in Loveland in August. Maybe a week in the San Juans in Puget Sound. No firm plans as of yet.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    House that I grew up in & 1 block from the oceam down at the Jersey Shore.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    What's a vacation? Need to make another trip to CA and one to MI, both related to my mother-in-law's recent passing. The MI trip will probably include a family reunion. Good think that I like to drive back roads because that will probably be the highlight of both trips.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We have not given it much thought yet. So far we are looking at Italy in April, back to New Mexico in May, and Oregon in June. A trip to the northeast in July seems like a possibility. Beyond that it is hard to say.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    House that I grew up in & 1 block from the oceam down at the Jersey Shore.
    Make sure you tell The Situation I said hi.

It's T-Shirt Time!!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Nothing major. With a new gig starting soon I won't have leave other than the long holiday weekends. Probably some time down at the Jersey Shore, venturing to upstate NY for a Laefest, and just puttering around the region. RT will be getting ready to go off to college in August so I'm sure that a good chunk of summer will be devoted to getting all that organized.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Take her to Vancouver. Its my understanding that the place is loaded with drugged out zombies that make Cass Corridor look like Mayberry (without Otis of course!).

The West Coast is a nice place to visit, but to live there? Check out the taxes, the restrictions, pay vs cost of living.....
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    The West Coast is a nice place to visit, but to live there? Check out the taxes, the restrictions, pay vs cost of living.....
    A few years back my family vacationed on the Olympic Peninsula and I thought "Man, this place is great. Awesome beaches. Magnificent trees and vegetation. A lot of clearcuts, but not everywhere. Wild berries beau coup. I could so love it here."

Then it dawned on me: "Hey this is the dry season. When it isn't soggy and grey most of the time."

Of course, there isn't such a thing as a perfect place to live. Every place has a major downside, as well as positive aspects. The South is too hot and humid. The West is too dry. The Northeast is too cold and urbanized. The Midwest is too flat.

I love where I live. But sometimes I wish the water was warm enough to swim in more than two months a year.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    The Midwest is too flat.

I love where I live. But sometimes I wish the water was warm enough to swim in more than two months a year.
    and s'too cold! Not all of the midwest is flat, but compared to the mountains I can see how our rolling hills look flat.

Saginaw Valley? = Flat!!

Detroit = Flat!

Chicago = Flat!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I am seriously considering chartering a sailboat and taking an 8 day cruise from Oahu to Kauai.
    http://www.honsail.com/?page=cat&cat...ies&page_id=28

Who's in? We should plan something.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well......

Bear, PM me when you know you'll be in Vegas and maybe I can buy you a drink

Terra, find out how much a sailboat charter costs in Hawaii, let me know if we would have our own cabin (I like inviting myself along)

In reality this One is taking a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale next month then planning something big this summer......begins with N...has a Z in the middle and ends with a D. If I can stockpile enough cash....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I am seriously considering chartering a sailboat and taking an 8 day cruise from Oahu to Kauai.
    http://www.honsail.com/?page=cat&cat...ies&page_id=28

Who's in? We should plan something.
    Would it be during the time the Humpback Whales are there? I've always wanted to swim with them to see if they'd accept me as one of their own.....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post

Terra, find out how much a sailboat charter costs in Hawaii, let me know if we would have our own cabin (I like inviting myself along)
    Already on it! I'm hoping it would be in the $$ range and not the $$$$$ range. I will report back here when they call me.

Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Would it be during the time the Humpback Whales are there? I've always wanted to swim with them to see if they'd accept me as one of their own.....
    Unfortunately, all our humpback whale friends will be up near Alaska at that time. They are here now and will be heading north as the water warms.

Registered
    Nov 2009

Kauai Sailing Trip

Okay, here is the deal...

The cost for the Oahu to Kauai sail is $1,500 per person for the 8 day trip with a limit of 4-5 people on the boat. I believe most of the meals would be included since we would be at sea or in areas with no development for most of the duration. Sounds AWESOME!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Oh you know, the usual, sought after vacation hotspots:

Caracas
    Tripoli
    Tunis
    Kandahar
    Port au Prince
    Godthab

It'll be a fun, worry-free summer...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Staying in my home state and camping in the Adirondack and Catskill Mountains.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    The original plan was Denmark and Sweden, but that looks like it isn't going to happen...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    The original plan was Denmark and Sweden, but that looks like it isn't going to happen...
    Oh no! What happened? I was looking forward to your report on Sweden to see if we should start the immigration paperwork.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Oh no! What happened? I was looking forward to your report on Sweden to see if we should start the immigration paperwork.
    Competing priorities for limited $$.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Bad vacations
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 08 Apr 2013, 4:14 PM
  2. Summer vacations - 2010
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 95
    Last post: 04 Oct 2010, 11:02 AM