Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The US Postal Service failed me again

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

The US Postal Service failed me again

I didn't receive my invitations to: 1) join the Giants in spring training again this season and, 2) the royal wedding. Lost in the mail, I guess. Story of my life.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I hear you. The post office must have lost the letter I should have gotten nominating me for a Nobel peace prize. It's taking forever to get here. Heck, I'm still waiting for a $7000 check from Uncle Sam for the fed taxes I probably overpaid for the last decade.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Seriously - the USPO last last month's house payment. That was fun trying to clean that up.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I still haven't received a $200 reimbursement check that was mailed last week
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Went in at 1:50 to apply for a passport at my local USPS. Had all my paper work pre-filled out, pictures in hand, old passport in hand, wife there to sign and daughter present. The sign says "accepting passports 9:00 am to 2:00pm". The lady would not accept my passport because it was 1:50 and she was off the clock at 2:00 pm, and told me it takes 30 minutes to do a passport app. Really? I pre-filled out everything, I have all the necessary paperwork. It took my son 5 minutes last time and that was 2 weeks ago, and your BSing me on "i have to clock off at 2". Epic Fail.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Mar 2004
    ^^
    And some public employee union diehards are besides themselves as to WHY people like Scott Walker are suddenly so popular....

Mike

Registered
    May 2004
    My court fine was not lost in the mail.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Went in at 1:50 to apply for a passport at my local USPS. Had all my paper work pre-filled out, pictures in hand, old passport in hand, wife there to sign and daughter present. The sign says "accepting passports 9:00 am to 2:00pm". The lady would not accept my passport because it was 1:50 and she was off the clock at 2:00 pm, and told me it takes 30 minutes to do a passport app. Really? I pre-filled out everything, I have all the necessary paperwork. It took my son 5 minutes last time and that was 2 weeks ago, and your BSing me on "i have to clock off at 2". Epic Fail.
    Having just done the same thing recently, I can tell you...it will take AT LEAST 30 minutes! I don't know what it is they do back there exactly, when all the forms are ready to go and you have the check in hand, but it seems to involve an ancient scribe and possibly a dot matrix printer (that's for expedited service, of course).

Having traveled abroad before, I told the family that this was "basic training" for traveling, delays, and lots of patient waiting. They just scowled back at me....

Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    ^^
    And some public employee union diehards are besides themselves as to WHY people like Scott Walker are suddenly so popular....

Mike
    Why? Did the unions steal your publisher's clearinghouse winning sweepstakes packet?
    Last edited by Maister; 25 Feb 2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: sequential posts
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My invitation to the 49ers training camp got lost in the mail along with that big signing bonus check. Story of my pitiful life.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The USPS is bouncing back about half of the mail addressed to be to sender, with a sticker claiming I moved and left no forwarding address. Seriously, I'll get some letters, and others will be returned. WTF?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I'm still waiting for my secret santa present.

The question is whether it is santa who forgot about me or the USPS?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'll send you one. It'll regain my karma for losing my Secret Santa's address several years ago.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I didn't get my invitation to free bbq for life from Sonnys or to join the Screaming Eagle wine club...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2001
    On our street we regularly get our neighbor's mail. One of the carriers must simply stick the "next bundle in the next box" without actually checking the addresses. I think this is the alternate, and not our regular carrier. On another occassion I was sitting in the living room playing with the dogs when I saw the carrier drive up, stick the letters in the box, and drive off. In the stack of letters was a notice that they had tried to deliver a package but nobody was home. Fortunately I had some items to drop off at the post office and brought that issue up with the supervisor.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    We still occasionally get mail (usually catalogs) for a former occupant of our house.... that moved out 19 years ago! Okay, that may not entirely be the USPS fault but, hey, they got big shoulders and should be able to take a hit.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    We still occasionally get mail (usually catalogs) for a former occupant of our house.... that moved out 19 years ago! Okay, that may not entirely be the USPS fault but, hey, they got big shoulders and should be able to take a hit.
    At what point does the USPS stop giving you that crap? I have put DOES NOT LIVE HERE on mail from the same lady that lived in my house for 70 years prior, for the last 4 years.... and they still deliver it.

I feel like I might put, SHE IS DEAD next, and see if they get the picture then....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2009
    As for mail for people that don't live there, I learned a few things when I worked in mass fundraising for a university. We sent out a LOT of mail.

The post office pays no attention to who lives where. But the senders do.

So first check to see if the mail is first class. If it is, and you write RETURN TO SENDER- ADDRESSEE MOVED, the USPS is required to return it to the sender and most will update their lists. As these lists often get bought and sold, it might make others change their lists too. At the college I worked at, we had 3 employees whose only job it was was to update lists with these returned mail. It may take some time, but its worked for me in the last few places I've lived. Note, if its a bulk mail rate, they won't take it back.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    We have the same situation after 10 years. It's usually junk mail.

Some ridiculous things that we get in the mail:

1) Flyers or catalogs for pool supplies. We demolished and filled in the ancient swimming pool 8 or 9 years ago...

2) HUGE catalogs for janitorial supplies, addressed to my company. You'd think someone would at least check what kind of company it is or something before mailing out a 500 page catalog?! Instant deposit in the recycling bin.

3) Two to three solicitation mailings per month from Verizon, multiplied by 3 separate phone accounts (home, business, and an organization for which I pay the bills) = TOO MUCH WASTE.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    "But then why is the bucket on the dummy's head? Shouldn't the bucket be on your head?"
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2002
    On the other hand, a couple of weeks ago I got a letter that had been mailed to my old address of 11 years ago. The forwarding order had expired ten years ago, but the postal worker knew where to forward it to anyway. The joys of small town life.

On the other other hand the Royals are pissed at me because the USPS or the RMS apparently lost my RSVP for the wedding and they were holding our seats at the head table for us. Jeez, I tried to tell them I wasn't coming (Westminster Abbey is so stuffy in the summer). It's not like it was my fault.

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    At what point does the USPS stop giving you that crap?
    When they bother to pick up the letter. Mrs. Coragus put "Does Not Live Here" on a letter last week that stayed in our mailbox all week until she removed it and delivered it herself in a public mailbox.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have called and gone to our local post office several times since I moved here to complain about mis-delivered mail and package. A real a$$ hole in the neighborhood has the same number as us and a barely-different address (we're on XXXXX Rd and he's on XXXX Ct), and since we get mail and packages for him, I reckon he's getting ours. I take his stuff to his house but apparently he throws ours away. Things like a video game for the kid, the title to my car, VISA bill.

But it's not just the USPS. Fedex mis-delivered a package here and I called them and they refused to come pick it up! I said well what am I supposed to do, deliver it myself or maybe just toss it, and the guy said "Whatever."

And since someone brought up junk mail: I divorced the kid's father 14 years ago, and have moved 3 times since then and took back my maiden name, and I still get junk mail for him! Then there are the calls from all the debt-collectors looking for him. Geez. The curse that keeps on giving...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. US Postal Service
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 24 Jan 2013, 2:39 PM
  2. Replies: 46
    Last post: 19 Nov 2011, 12:10 AM
  3. Failed traffic calming
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 11 Aug 2006, 11:58 PM