Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: School Days, Golden Rule Days

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

School Days, Golden Rule Days

Tell the residents of Cyburbia a little (or a lot) about your school days, before you wandered off to seek that degree in planning, architecture, or Lenin Theory. What was the "route" you took? This Bear will go first.

Kindergarten was at a Toledo Public School, Nathan Hale. ("Nathan Hale, the County Jail!")
    Grades 1-6 - Gesu Catholic School. I did not get along well with the nuns. Not at all.
    "Give a cheer, give a cheer; for the nuns who drink the beer, in the cellar of good old Gesu."
    Grades 7-8-9 - Washington Junior High School, Washington Local School District.
    Finished the dance at Whitmer Senior High School, Washington Local School District.
    ____

Just the facts, Jack:

The Toledo Public School District does not encompass a large part of north, west, and northwest Toledo. Students in these areas, actual corporate limit areas of Toledo, attend schools in the Washington Local School District. Years ago Toledo annexed all of Adams Township......and all of that township's schools became Toledo Public Schools. When they tried to do that to Washington Township, a small portion (just a few hundred homes) held their own and retained township status. That meant that the township could keep their district and their schools. Almost every school building in the Washington Local Schools District sits within corporate limits of Toledo.

Note: Toledo Public Schools just announced that they are eliminating Middle Schools. The closure of a number of buildings and the layoff of administrators and teachers will save the district about $25 million a year.
    _____

Now it is your turn. Let us know. What say you?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I grew up in a third-ring (I think?) suburb of Chicago. I started my education in 1991, when I enrolled at 4-year old preschool at a local lutheran church about 2 minutes from my home. I attended kindergarten - 3rd grade at the local elementary school, which was part of a large suburban elementary school disrict spanning three suburbs. In the colder months, I took the bus. Although, in the warmer months, walking or riding my bike to school was not uncommon. I had the great fortune of being able to go to school with my older brother when I was in 1st and 2nd grades, but after that, he had moved on to junior high. I had the same teacher for 2nd and 3rd grades, and she was one of the best teachers you could ever ask for. This school was very unique and allowed for a lot of diverse experiences growing up. First off, there were many Jewish kids in the area, some of which were very close friends of mine. We even got holidays like Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashannah off as holidays. Additionally, the Hispanic population was huge, and every grade level had a bilingual class, with the younger grades having 2 each. We also had a handicapped wing, and the school was the only one in the district to accomodate all the special needs children. There were a variety of different classes, accomodating both younger grades and upper grades, and all sorts of disabilities, ranging from the mentally and developmentally challenged to the blind and deaf to the physically disabled. The school was also remodeled heavily shortly before I started there, adding a then state-of-the-art media center, cafeteria/gymnasium, and art/music classrooms, as well as a number of wings. I spent kindergarten, 2nd, and 3rd grades in the newer wings, while 1st was in an older wing.

In 1996, I was sad to say goodbye to my friends when I moved out to the outer suburbs of Chicago. While I had moved to a rapidly growing suburb, I attended school in the small town next door, which only had about 3,000 people at the time. When I first started there, the district had only 1,000 total K-12 students, with grades K-5 in one building and grades 6-12 in the other. 4th and 5th grades were housed in mobile classrooms, as the older elementary building had become too crowded to accomodate all the growth. We went to the main building for gym, music, art, lunch, etc., as well as to go to the bathroom, while attending our core subjects in the mobiles. Not only did we have to be in mobiles, but 4th grade at the new school was also challenging for this shy kid who struggled to make friends initially. Although, by the 2nd semester, I had found a core group of friends, two of which remain my best friends to this day. The district was also a lot more lily white and less diverse than my experiences in the other town. In 1997, a new middle/high school building was built west of town, freeing up space at the old building. Thus, the old high school building became a 4th-5th grade building, while the old elementary building was now K-3rd. However, with increasing growth, 5th graders (me) were moved to new mobiles near the other building. In 1998, I finally got to go back to school in a real classroom, when I started 6th grade at the new middle/high school building. I would attend grades 6 - 12 at this same building. In 1999, a 12-classroom wing was added on to the middle-high school for temporary usage that year by 5th graders...it then became high school space in the following years. In 2000, three new elementary schools were built to accomodate the growth. In 2001, I graduated from middle school and moved onto high school, which meant a move from the upstairs classrooms to the downstairs classrooms. In 2002, controversy erupted when the district changed the "Redskin" mascot to something more PC, due to lawsuit threats from Native American groups, against the wishes of the townspeople. In 2002/2003, the middle-high school building doubled in size when additions were built, creating a 3rd gym that became the main gym, large art and music classrooms, a science lab wing, additional offices, and a state-of-the-art auditorium. In fall 2005, work was completed on an additional two new elementary schools and two new middle schools, which made the high school building exclusively for grades 9 - 12. However, this happened the school year after I left, as I graduated in May 2005. My graduating class was about 240, about double the size it was in 4th grade. Today, graduating classes are likely now pushing 500. My oldest brother, when he graduated in 1998, had a graduating class of only 88. Today, fourteen years after I started there, the district has grown from 1,000 K-12 students in two buildings to 9,000 students in eight buildings. Additionally, the population of that small town where the schools were originally located has increased from 3,000 to 25,000.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    All on the the northside of town -
    Benjamin Franklin Elementary
    Elm St on Elm St.
    Theodore Roosevelt Jr High
    Jr High School attendence district was divided by the RR tracks through town.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

I went to public schools in Campbell, california Three have since closed: parkway and hazel wood elementary schools and Campbell high school. Campbell junior high is still open. My father would have gone to Campbell high had he gone to school, but for many years his name was on a plaque in front of the school listing everyone who served in the military from our town. The plaque is now in a museum.

The weirdest thing about my high school was finding a yearbook from 1939 in the library. The school had segregated classes for Japanese students. There wasn't an African American population in the town. There was a large Mexican population, but none would go to the high school until after world war two ( my first relative to go to my high school graduated in 1957). My graduating class was about a third Asian, a third Mexican and a third white non-Hispanic.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Kindergarten - some place in Indianapolis.
    Grades 1 -6 - Conner St. Elem., Hurricane, WV
    Finished grade 6 West Hempfield Elem.
    Jr. High - West Hempfield Jr. High
    High School - Hempfield Area High School

Registered
    May 2005
    Catholic school, K-8
    Public high school
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Private schools. Even before intergration. Had to associate with the right kind of folks and not "those people". Ended up marrying a Catholic regardless.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    K Detroit Public Schools
    1-12 Archdiosese of Detroit inner-city catholic schools.
    13 and beyond public colleges and universities.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2006
    SW Michigan rural consolidated school system:
    K-1 Old schoolhouse w/only two grades
    2 - Another older schoolhouse with only one grade where my first teacher got sick and over the course of the school year, I had 21 different teachers.
    3 - Yet another old school with only one grade.
    4-8 - New "large" school was finally finished and everyone moved from the small rural schools which were converted to other uses or closed.
    City school system:
    9 - Rural kids were to bused to nearby town where the former high school was now a junior high and housed grades 7-9. Ninth grade is not a good time to suddenly be thrust into a new school environment but playing sports eased that transition.
    10-12 - High school in same town.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    We moved every couple of years when I was a kid....

K-2nd Grade (first half): Eisenhower Elementary in Mesa, AZ. Large public elementary school, K-6, that class photos tell me was a mix of mostly working class white and Hispanic kids. I had to take a bus to get to school.

2nd Grade (second half)-5th Grade (first half): Acacia Elementary in Phoenix, AZ. When I first attended this school was only K-3. After 3rd grade they retooled the district's school attendance areas due to rapid population growth. They eliminated busing and added 4th grade and the school became a neighborhood school where everyone walked or rode their bikes to school. After 4th grade they added 5th & 6th grade when they reconfigured the intermediate school. Solidly middle class and mostly white. It was a great school with wonderful teachers and I learned my love of music there and received individualized instruction for advanced standing in several subjects. I was heartbroken when we moved.

5th Grade (second half)-6th Grade: William Walker Elementary School in Beaverton, OR. Large suburban elementary school with 1000+ students. I had the distinction of living in an area that formerly attended a school that was closed to give space to the high school. So the kids in my neighborhood were bused to Walker and there wasn't much mixing between us and the other kids due to distinct socioeconomic differences. The teachers were kind but I had problems fitting in socially with an overwhelmingly white, upper middle class student body.

7th-9th Grade: Highland Park Intermediate School in Beaverton, Oregon. Only about 15% of the 6th grade class went on to attend Highland Park. Fabulous school, dedicated teachers, academically rigorous, most of the students walked to school, still mostly white but a fair number of Asians, more even socio-economic distribution. I did well academically and socially here.

10th-12th Grade: Beaverton High School in Beaverton, Oregon. One of three high schools in the district (now there are 6) and about 2,000 students in the three grades. Had a great time going to school there, full of academic rigor, great teachers and facilities, athletic powerhouse, dedicated to the performing arts. It wasn't particularly racially diverse, mostly white and Asian with a few Hispanic and black students but it was reflective of the population at the time. My graduating class was about 750 kids. The district changed to a 9-12 model after they built the new high schools a couple years after I graduated.

I've moved a fair bit as an adult with RT tagging along but I have been much more particular about relocating to areas with excellent schools and care about how she would fit into those schools socially. She seems to have had much less adjustment issues as I did as a kid relocating and I've had her in the same district (township based) here in NJ since the 8th grade. She attends a high school with over 2,500 students in a very diverse environment that is academically rigorous. She has thrived in this district and high school and while it's been a financial stretch to remain in the district it's been 100% worth it as the community really supports excellence in its schools.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Went to the same public schools as my brothers who are 5 & 6 years older than me - and I had a couple of their same teachers. I had several comparisons made and comments like "Are you the last one?"

Kindergarten was at our church (no public K back in my time)
    1-6 at Elem.
    7-8 at Jr. HS
    9-12 at HS

I didn't get caught in forced bussing but my best friend did one grade ahead of me. I was caught in the transition from Jr. HS to Middle School. In High School we had split sessions. Grades 10-12 went from 7:30 am to 12:30 and 9th graders went from 1:00 pm to 5:30 pm.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

K-6 at one school back in the mid-60s|early 70s. (K was half day, three times a week, IIRC.)

7-12 at one school through late 70s.

From 10th grade on, we were on "split sessions", an attempt by the school board to compel taxpayers to foot the bill for construction at the schools. Grades 10-12 started at 7.25AM and finished at 12.10PM; Grades 7-9 started at 12.20PM and finished at 5.15PM. Wreaked havoc with sports and other extra-curricular activities. Voters finally succumbed after I graduated.

My fifth grade daughter is eagerly awaiting her brother moving to HS next year and being out from his shadow. He does indeed cast a large shadow, literally and figuratively.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Montessori School - Age 3-4
    Robert Frost Elementary - K-1st grade
    Noel Levasseur Elementary - 2nd - part of 3rd grade
    Hussman Elementary - part of 3rd-4th grade (4th grade teacher was my favorite)
    Palisades East School - 5th-6th grade
    Churchville Jr. High - 7th-8th grade (hated it)
    York Community High School - HS (loved it)
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I went to a daytime military school in New Orleans from grade 1 until halfway through 6th grade. Marched every day in the morning instead of PE.

Midway through 6th grade my family moved and I went to a catholic middle school. Bad side: nuns. Good side: girls.

Went to a Catholic high school. Bad side: no girls. Good side: well, there were no good sides. It totally sucked. I credit Catholic school for turning me away from Catholicism.

My wife wants to send our son to Catholic school. No way, Jose. He is going to public school. I will give him what my parents did not give me: a broad education among diverse people, half of whom are female.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    My wife wants to send our son to Catholic school. No way, Jose. He is going to public school. I will give him what my parents did not give me: a broad education among diverse people, half of whom are female.
    May I suggest a Lutheran school? They don't have nuns. They have girls. Lutherans drink beer. Lutheran theology is Catholicism without the guilt.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I went K-12 through public schools, and then went to a state university. My kids, actually, are going through the exact same schools (not just public, the exact same schools). I am the world's most boring man.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. 8 Days to decision
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 61
    Last post: 08 Nov 2006, 10:18 AM
  2. school days, school days...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 02 Jun 2005, 3:31 AM
  3. Don't panic! Only 58 more days.
    Friday Afternoon Club