Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: New Member finding his way

Registered
    Jun 2010

New Member finding his way

Hi all,

I would like to introduce myself. I was schooled in Community and Regional Planning but the position I was hired for and have performed thus far in my short career is that of Zoning Administrator. The county in which I live and work is fairly large (512 sq, miles), however there is not much actual "planning" taking place. For the most part the Planner reviews an occasional minor subdivision plat and administers two CDBG grants and that is about the extent of their job.

We are in the process of updating our 17 year old Comprehensive Plan through a series of Small Area Plans, but that work is contracted out. I felt I needed to get back in touch with planning as a discipline and hope this forum will help me do so.

I am also beginning to study for the AICP exam. If anyone has any suggestions or study hints please let me know. I have heard others mention the "Green Book". Does anyone here recommend it?

Looking forward to interacting with you,

Pete Minter

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome !

Quote Originally posted by pminter View post
    I am also beginning to study for the AICP exam. If anyone has any suggestions or study hints please let me know. I have heard others mention the "Green Book". Does anyone here recommend it?
    If you use the search function we have had several threads about applying for and studying for the exam.

Yes the Green Book is on the recommended study lists.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome from the Great State of Ohio! Check out the Career subforum for lots of AICP info. Welcome and please join in!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hello from New York!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!

I've never owned, borrowed, or opened the Green Book. I passed the AICP test without it. However, I strongly recommend that you join or form a study group of other test takers. Research has shown that those who study in a group have a higher first-time pass rate, than those that study alone.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    welcome from downeast Maine!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Welcome from Utah. Lots of information and discussion about the AICP exam prep activities. I've found lots of it to be helpful, as I'm preparing too.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2004

Greetings.....

From Arizona
    Skilled Adoxographer

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Finding Relatives
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 27 Jan 2010, 6:00 PM
  2. Finding an internship