Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Developing nations

Registered
    Nov 2010

Developing nations

I am going to go into the field of urban planning. I have no interest in dealing with the American suburb. My intention is to take the knowledge I gain in school and go to the exact opposite of an American suburb, Africa. Aside from my urban planning degree, what would you suggest I study (I'm pursuing my bachelor's in poli-sci now). Also, what organizations and corporations should I familiarize and focus on? What qualities should I be playing up to cover over the fact that I'm not a civil-engineer, but am excited to put in sewage systems somewhere?

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Some of my friends pursued an International Development Studies major in undergrad. One in particular has gone on to do a lot of development work in certain African countries. If it is too late to find something like that for your undergrad, I am sure you could find a post grad program focusing on something like that.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    One option is to look at the Peace Corp. Urban planning is one of their focus areas and it gets you some much needed overseas experience. Some graduate programs even incorporate the Peace Corps service into the curriculum.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Developing cities in developing nations
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 16 Apr 2014, 4:20 PM
  2. Debtor Nations - Why?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 06 Feb 2012, 10:07 AM
  3. Two Nations, One Under God [56K no]
    Friday Afternoon Club