Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Resume

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008

Resume

Since I have had a 6 month contract position and a few phone call survey jobs for a Consultant company should I put my work experiance at the top of my resume instead of my current education? I have a pharagraph explaining my skills learned and charrets that I did under my education.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Right out of college, if your education is more years than your experience and more impressive I would put that first. Experience is very important and depends on the job you are applying for, if it is entry level with just education requirements then Education should be first. If you are applying for a job that requires 1 year then experience could go first. Remember your resume should be tailored for each job if necessary.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    Most entry level jobs though ask for a masters and 1-5 years experience.

Quote Originally posted by buckie33 View post
    Most entry level jobs though ask for a masters and 1-5 years experience.
    Not in my experience. 90% of the entry and mid level planning jobs I see always say "bachelors required, masters desired."

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    What about someone who has a diploma (Associates Degree) from a community college?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    What about someone who has a diploma (Associates Degree) from a community college?
    I'm pretty sure I've never seen such a thing.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Years ago at a breakfast meeting I met a female planner who recently retired after 35 years and she just had a high school diploma. She was also AICP. It is VERY hard to find that today. I imagine you could start out in code enforcement, hopefully transferring over to current planning, and move up. It would probably be faster to earn a college degree.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    I've met some Planning Techs that only had two year degrees. Not sure about their upward mobility within their respective departments, but they were doing a lot of the same work current planning work that Junior/Assistant Planners were doing.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Maybe I am just in the wrong region, but I have an MA, 8 years of experience, and am AICP, and I can't seem to find a new job. I was one of two final candidates for the last interview I had, and the hiring panel told me they had 56 applicants. It wasn't a stellar position either. The competition right now is very thick.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Cyburbia resume reviews

Just a reminder. Some of us do this (generally by exchanging e-mail addresses via private message).

LP and I helped out Save Matoon today (via Facebook).

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Resume reviews

Bumping this as a reminder. Can't hurt, gives the peanut gallery something to do!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have couple of resume questions.

I list the number of employees I manage and supervise on my resume. Is that appropriate?

Second, over the past couple of years, four positions have been eliminated (two with warm bodies in them). I assume I need to be truthful and disclose the actual number of people on staff, no? Well, of course. I know the answer to that. Scratch that question.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I have couple of resume questions.

I list the number of employees I manage and supervise on my resume. Is that appropriate?

Second, over the past couple of years, four positions have been eliminated (two with warm bodies in them). I assume I need to be truthful and disclose the actual number of people on staff, no? Well, of course. I know the answer to that. Scratch that question.
    I disagree. I list the as employees supervised the highest number during my tenure. If it a current position I may add "(before downsizing)". HRs often give bonus points for the numbers supervised, and it adds to your management experience.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ...supervised up to __ employees.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    I disagree. I list the as employees supervised the highest number during my tenure. If it a current position I may add "(before downsizing)". HRs often give bonus points for the numbers supervised, and it adds to your management experience.
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    ...supervised up to __ employees.
    Good suggestions. Thanks. I'm not looking to move but I want to keep my resume current, relevant and accurate.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Since I have had a 6 month contract position and a few phone call survey jobs for a Consultant company should I put my work experiance at the top of my resume instead of my current education? I have a pharagraph explaining my skills learned and charrets that I did under my education.
    I once overheard some (ignorant) comments from a hiring manager about this issue. I won't go into the details of what was said, but basically the hiring manager had a negative opinion of applicants that started off their resume with education. For the heck of it, I decided to put my education at the bottom of my resume and start off with experience. There is no harm done by giving it a try and seeing if it changes anything.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Resume/CV
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 Jul 2011, 6:47 PM
  2. Following up after resume
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 26 Aug 2009, 10:21 PM
  3. Resubmitting a resume