Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 2014 CNU national conference: Buffalo 2014

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

2014 CNU national conference: Buffalo 2014

After attending CNU 17 in Denver a couple of years ago, I thought "You know, this could be a national conference that Buffalo could land. Hotels downtown could easily accommodate all the attendees, and there are plenty of nearby dense, mixed-use neighborhoods of the type new urbanists are drawn too." And it did. Buffalo will be the host city for the 22nd Congress For the New Urbanism.

The challenge: what do you show new urbanists in a city that has no examples of new urbanist development?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

The challenge: what do you show new urbanists in a city that has no examples of new urbanist development?
    For me, the challenge is justifying the exorbitant fee in relation to the value received. Nonetheless, many older development patterns in your fair city are worthy of emulation. Maybe a light will come on.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    After attending CNU 17 in Denver a couple of years ago, I thought "You know, this could be a national conference that Buffalo could land. Hotels downtown could easily accommodate all the attendees, and there are plenty of nearby dense, mixed-use neighborhoods of the type new urbanists are drawn too." And it did. Buffalo will be the host city for the 22nd Congress For the New Urbanism.

I believe this may be a calculated move on the part of the CNU brass to NOT go somewhere that's heavy with NU development - in their eyes, NU principles are designed to try to emulate old development patterns, but as anyone can see the newer developments fall way short. This is a perfect opportunity for Buffalo and CNU to say, "Look here, morons [CNU developers] - this is what we're trying to recreate, not your monstrosities that give us lip service but often fail to meet even the basic of urban neighborhood fabrics and instead provide just another architectural novelty."

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Take em on the streetcar. They love those. Just hide the busses, they hate those.

Is Fantasy Island Amusement Park Still around?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Take em on the streetcar. They love those. Just hide the busses, they hate those.

Is Fantasy Island Amusement Park Still around?
    It is! I was there last year with my kids and it was fun. Interestingly it has a New Urban western village where they do a cowboy shootout show.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Posted on the CNU Web site.

City of Buffalo Wins CNU22
    The Queen City Earns Honors to Host CNU22 in 2014
    Submitted on 03/15/2011.

Not many cities can boast of being home to buildings from Frank Lloyd Wright, Louis Sullivan, and H.H. Richardson all situated within their borders. Nor do many cities hold an extensively incorporated Frederick Law Olmstead-designed park system. Buffalo can claim both. And come 2014, The Queen City can also lay claim as host to the 22nd annual Congress for the New Urbanism.

In an announcement late last week, Buffalo was chosen as the locale for the leading venue for New Urbanist education, collaboration, and networking. As CNU CEO & President John Norquist stated, "Buffalo is a beautiful city that was once one of America's richest. Metro Buffalo is trying to repair its neighborhoods and suburbs and grow again. CNU needs to be in Buffalo. It is the perfect place to gather to discuss strategies for revitalization."

George Grasser, of Partners for a Livable Western New York, led a contingent on Buffalo's behalf to lobby for the City of Light's victory. Commenting on Buffalo's win, Grasser noted "Our hard work paid off. I was told our presentation generated unprecedented enthusiasm, especially from CNU board members who had not been to Buffalo, and from CNU staff members who work on the CNU Congresses."

As we eagerly anticipate CNU22 in Buffalo, work continues leading up this year's Congress, CNU19: Growing Local, in Madison, WI from June 1st-June 4th. Come and join speakers such as Andres Duany, Stefanos Polyzoides, Ed Glaeser, Will Allen, Congressman Earl Blumenauer, and many, many others as we discuss development practices and public policies, learn from recent innovative New Urbanist work, and advance initiatives to transform our communities.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Good for Buffalo. I think TexanOkie's comments are spot on.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

The drive to Burlington or Oakville on the Canadian side isn't too long!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 196
    Last post: 22 Jul 2015, 5:09 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 07 Jul 2013, 2:28 PM
  3. School: USC USC Class of 2014
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Apr 2012, 10:13 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Aug 2010, 3:22 PM