Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Post your stats if got in at MIT

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2010

Post your stats if got in at MIT

If you were accepted at MIT, kindly post your stats (Age, GPA, GREs & work experience). Thanks.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    I think it's a little too forward to ask that of people, don't you think?

You know what type of student is going to get in: good grades, strong essay, solid work experience. Comparing stats is useless, I could have amazing stats and write a horrible essay and not get in, and someone with mediocre stats could write a very targeted essay, have good recommendations, and get in.

But in any case, you posted this at a bad time. Last year's admitted students probably don't hang around here anymore, and this year's students won't know for another two weeks or so.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    So sad that acceptance to MIT is the end all.

I read somewhere that the "stats" of candidates admitted to Harvard were the same as (or even slightly, if negligibly lower than) those rejected. I can't imagine it's much different at MIT.

The point is: good numbers won't hurt, bad numbers won't help. But beyond that, intangible qualities -- reflected in your SOP, essays, recommendations and portfolio -- matter much more to the ad coms than a 1600. As long as you didn't bomb your undergrad and your GRE's, my advice is focus on your intangibles. Market yourself much like a company pitches a product: emphasize what makes you different and better than the competition.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Josh View post
    I think it's a little too forward to ask that of people, don't you think?

You know what type of student is going to get in: good grades, strong essay, solid work experience. Comparing stats is useless, I could have amazing stats and write a horrible essay and not get in, and someone with mediocre stats could write a very targeted essay, have good recommendations, and get in.

But in any case, you posted this at a bad time. Last year's admitted students probably don't hang around here anymore, and this year's students won't know for another two weeks or so.
    No, I don't think it's too forward. It's an anonymous forum, and people have done it here quite frequently, in fact.

Bad time? I am hoping to capture the feedback of those who will be getting their admission letters in a few weeks.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    So sad that acceptance to MIT is the end all.
    I only intend to apply to MIT, and to MIT only, so why should I care about acceptance stats to other schools? I am months away from an MPA, and I already have a career and expertise of sorts. If I don't get in to MIT, I don't go back to school. We all have differing opportunity costs. Simple as that.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    I agree; if people don't want to answer they can ignore it. Obviously stats aren't the only factor and not the most important factor, but it is a piece of the puzzle. It'd be pretty rare for someone with bad/average GREs or GPAs to be admitted, unless some other aspect of their application was truly spectacular.

I was rejected, but fyi, I had a 1410 GRE and 3.75 GPA

Quote Originally posted by Mauricio View post
    No, I don't think it's too forward. It's an anonymous forum, and people have done it here quite frequently, in fact.

Bad time? I am hoping to capture the feedback of those who will be getting their admission letters in a few weeks.

:)

If you want to see stats just go to http://thegradcafe.com/survey/ then type in the school or program.

That way people won't have to post their stats on here. I agree with the people who said that posting stats is useless. Everyone is unique.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Sep 2008, 1:47 PM
  2. Disposable income stats
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Jun 2006, 12:29 PM
  3. Anybody else have messed up stats?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 21 Dec 2005, 10:39 AM