I am a graduate student trying to find people who live in Atlanta or who have lived there to fill out this questionnaire. I would like to interview someone, by getting their perspective on gentrification in Atlanta's neighborhoods.
1. What experience do you have in politics, community organizing, and/or progressive activism?
2. Do you think there has there been a significant change in the physical characteristics of any of these neighborhoods in the past 10 years? Please feel free to respond to one or as many of these neighborhoods as you would like. Has the “character” of these neighborhood changed (Washington Park, Castel Berry Hill, Old forthward: Ponce-Highland, Inman Park and Kirkwood tracing several of these communities; Cabbagetown, Midtown, Kirkwood, Grant Park, Virginia Highland, Inman Park and Candler Park )?
3. Is gentrification a necessary step in urban revitalization? Has the city invested more money since these changes have taken place than prior to the changes?
4. It is suggested that gentrification and the wider social and economic changes taking place have lead to social and physical change in the area, which are worthy of further study in order to assess the possible impacts on the rest of the city if gentrification continues in Atlanta. It shows that there are particularly detrimental effects in the form of exclusion and displacement of certain groups that need to be tackled, but that wider economic forces and national policies make this extremely difficult. Have residents or businesses in the neighborhoods been displaced and what do you think has caused this displacement?
5. Gentrification is the unit-by-unit acquisition of the housing of low-income residents, industrial or commercial property, by high-income residents, art, cultural, fashion or other high-status use. The phases of gentrification have not been categorized by systematic research, but it seems that art and culture are prominent in the first phase. Richard Florida states, How the creative economy is making where to live the most important decision of your life? Do you think the first art gallery in a working-class neighborhood is a classic sign of imminent gentrification, if not what is?
6. What policies can be put in place to promote equitable development in the neighborhoods that failed?
7. Did you know examples of social neighborhood structures which were 'too bad' for gentrification processes?
8. What is your opinion of the Beltline? Do you support gentrification, not sure or are you against it?
9. Several concerns were raised about the AHA demolition of public housing, including apparent fraudulent claims by AHA about the condition of some of the buildings; lack of consultation with residents, City Council and the public; and the lack of availability of voucher leasing opportunities for displaced residents. What is your opinion about the demolitions? And what is your response to these concerns raised?
10. Do you think gentrification challenges public housing residents and their sense of community? And what role does the working class and poor play in improving their neighborhood?
11. Reviewing the theories used to explain gentrification and assessing Atlanta. Do you agree that Theories around “labor market change” and “consumption” are able to provide a theoretical framework within which to analyze the changes taking place? What do you think are the changes and problems of gentrification?
12. Qualitative studies have focused on the proponents and the opponents to gentrification but have not provided a comprehensible picture of the opinions of a truly representative sample of residents. The results suggest that the majority of residents, including owners and renters, whites and minorities, newcomers and longtime residents, those college educated and not in the neighborhood has changed and think it will improve even more in the future. However, regression analysis reveals that renters and longtime Black residents are less likely to view these changes positively. Do you agree?
13. What are the possibilities for resisting / preventing gentrification?