Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: When a consultant goes bad

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I agree with most everything on here, but also think that whoever is managing the project for the City should take some responsibility. The last plan we had done with a consultant came in with a draft plan that they were claiming was 80-85% complete. They sent us the plan, we reviewed it in house, and called the consultant in for a face to face meeting. We made it clear that our proposal, scope of work, and fee did not warrant a junk plan that they were circulating to every muni they were working with at the time. We made it very clear to their management that if we saw another draft like this that we would not being sending any payment and would pursue terminating the contract. Needless to say, the next draft was substantially better tailored to our community.
    Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I dismissed a consultant for not getting the job done. Later found out that (for some) getting contracts is more important than delivering products.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    I dismissed a consultant for not getting the job done. Later found out that (for some) getting contracts is more important than delivering products.
    I tis an odd notion, but one I would agree prevails at some shops. The mentality seems to be something like "Get plenty of projects, put in minimal efforts, and spend massive funds on advertsing to get you name out there." I have always felt that it is better to do exceptional work and let word spread.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Consultant salary?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 10 Oct 2012, 8:57 AM
  2. Planning consultant?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 10 Oct 2011, 11:38 AM