Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Emergency/disaster preparedness planning for 2012

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2010

Emergency/disaster preparedness planning for 2012

Does anyone know of any communities that are thinking ahead and working on plans for dealing with any of the potential catastrophic events associated with 2012? I'm not saying I believe all of the things people are saying, but many suggest that there could be various astrologically and geologically significant occurrences, leading to different kinds of natural disasters. Since 2012 is rapidly coming upon us, why is the planning community not more engaged in thinking about how best to prepare for anything that might happen?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Dude, did you smoke a lot of weed when you were young?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The topic has been addressed in this thread:

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43228
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

I'm not aware of any communities that are specifically planning because of supposed emergencies associated with lore/predictions relative to the year 2012.

FEMA provides guidance for Multi-Hazard Mitigation Planning. Our community has done the planning but the outcome sits on a shelf.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by crummmountain View post
    Does anyone know of any communities that are thinking ahead and working on plans for dealing with any of the potential catastrophic events associated with 2012? I'm not saying I believe all of the things people are saying, but many suggest that there could be various astrologically and geologically significant occurrences, leading to different kinds of natural disasters. Since 2012 is rapidly coming upon us, why is the planning community not more engaged in thinking about how best to prepare for anything that might happen?
    HAHAHAHA!!!

Good one.

Moderator note:
    ~Gedunker

C'mon folks! The OP expressed his personal reluctance regarding the claims. Let's give a new member the benefit of the doubt and see if we can be helpful rather than condescending. That is all: carry on.
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I would guess that there are no cities that have done any disaster planning for the 2012 doomsday prophecy crummmountain. Most municipalities, states, and regional agencies are pretty strapped for finances and since the 2012 doomsday prophecy has little-to-no scientific data to back it up, I'd venture to say that even if an agency was interested in planning for such an event, they would not get the funds to do so. Should an agency have finances in place to do disaster preparedness planning, I would presume it would be spent on preparing for earthquakes, tornadoes, floods, or other natural disasters that are prevalent or likely in their neck of the woods.

Besides the fact that there really is no scientific data to support the 2012 doomsday prophecy - how would anyone plan to mitigate the end of the world?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post

Besides the fact that there [are precisely zero] scientific data [or entrails, rune throws, heiroglyphs, documents, transmissions from Gort, scribbles on a napkin] to support the 2012 doomsday prophecy - how would anyone plan to mitigate the end of the world?
    Perhaps rezone and construct lots of seismically awesome mausoleums lined with lead? And how do disaster plans get re-jiggered with the recent...revelation...that there needs to be a 13th astrology sign.

Props on that recovery, BTW.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Mayan calander, Hopi pictographs, Nostradamus, and others are indisputable, factual proof that December 21, 2012 will bring a cataclysm, but not the end of humankind. Unfortunately, we do not know the nature of that catastrophy or where it may be centered. Only the Freemasons have that information, and they are not sharing it, just as they have not shared the Arc of the Covenant or the untold billions in treasure they have hidden.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    ...how would anyone plan to mitigate the end of the world?
    I'm given to wonder if someplace, there isn't a warehouse filled with 7 billion body bags, the last one of which has the zipper facing inward....
    Proudly spending today building the dilapidated housing stock of the 22nd century.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by digger View post
    I'm given to wonder if someplace, there isn't a warehouse filled with 7 billion body bags, the last one of which has the zipper facing inward....
    A just society would allow all that good nutrient content to flow back into the biosphere, rather than cutting it off in plastic. And besides, who chooses to make someone do all the work during a cataclysm? Haven't all the straws burned?

Moderator note:
    ~Gedunker

Th-th-th-th-that's all f-f-f-folks!
    Warren Spahn

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Disaster preparedness
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Oct 2010, 2:00 PM