Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Any planning jobs in N. Florida?

Registered
    Aug 2010

Any planning jobs in N. Florida?

Hello all - I'm a local government planner in W. Washington, and have been thinking of moving back to my native state of FL (where I have about 10 yrs of state-level planning experience) to be closer to family and friends. I am lucky that my job here in WA is currently stable and I'm not likely to be laid off in the next year...that's about all anyone can say right now in most places.

However, I get the impression that the job situation is even worse than it is here, and not likely to get better anytime soon. I would want to go to either Tallahassee or Jacksonville; south FL just doesn't do it for me. Any advice from people familiar with the hiring situation around there would be greatly appreciated - thanks!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Greetings from the Florida panhandle. You want a job here? You're f****d.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Greetings from the Florida panhandle. You want a job here? You're f****d.
    Thanks, Jake. Blunt honesty is good...I guess.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Hate to pile on here, but I am from that area and know its bad. I have a few friends that work for the DCA (for now) and I know a few private sector folks who are struggling to find billable hours. My parents ask if I'll ever move back home...its not looking good for many years.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Hate to pile on here, but I am from that area and know its bad. I have a few friends that work for the DCA (for now) and I know a few private sector folks who are struggling to find billable hours. My parents ask if I'll ever move back home...its not looking good for many years.
    A-mazing. When I left I couldn't wait to get out of there, and now it looks like a long wait to get back. The little ironies of life...

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Yeah, as of June 30, 2011, I think there will be an abundance of planners in TLH without a market to support them. I think that Atlanta, or maybe New Orleans(?), are the closest viable markets to N. Florida if you are not set on being a Floridian again.

Registered
    Aug 2010
    H20 - does your comment mean that a large number of layoffs with the state are expected at the end of the fiscal year? I would think that Tallahassee/Leon County already laid off everyone except for a skeleton crew.

I'd go to Jacksonville, PC or Gainesville, but really don't want to relocate out of the state as that kind of defeats the purpose. Plus, I have vesting in FL PERS and it would certainly be preferable to get back to an eligible in-state position; I'm reluctant to start over in yet another retirement system at this point in my career.

(This, of course, is based on the somewhat humorous premise that ANY retirement plan will still be paying out in 20 or 30 years... yup, I'm probably screwed!)

Registered
    Apr 2008
    [QUOTE=Flora;580657]H20 - does your comment mean that a large number of layoffs with the state are expected at the end of the fiscal year? I would think that Tallahassee/Leon County already laid off everyone except for a skeleton crew.

As RichmondJake and beach_bum alluded to, there are some major proposals (bills and plain FY 2012 budget) to reorganize, reallocate, and relegate planning in FL. The news articles and Leiglastive Reporter tracking done by the FL APA Chapter sum it up pretty nice (http://www.floridaplanning.org).

DCA would go from 300+ to 40 employees, dissolution of the regional planning councils, still lagging private sector market = lots of planners looking for work. However, if you have a specialization such as transportation or energy/utility planning, you may have better luck.

To the best of my knowledge, TLH/Leon County left some open positions unfilled, but did not have to pink slip employees. They still have a pretty full crew.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 03 Dec 2013, 2:06 PM
  2. Planning in Florida
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 18 Aug 2010, 12:37 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 12 May 2009, 9:38 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 05 Aug 2008, 8:30 AM