Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: Hunter College

  1. #1
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    26

    Hunter College

    Hi all,

    So I applied to the MUP program at CUNY-Hunter, still waiting on the admissions decision, but I'm 99% sure I'll be going there come Fall if I'm admitted.

    I chose Hunter because I did my BA at CUNY and loved it there, and I already have a first MA from a private school and didn't want to dig myself further into debt. Hunter is a great school as a whole, and is looked at highly here in NY, so it was an easy application to make a choice on.

    So I wanted to get a sense from the planning community about the reputation Hunter has, generally, for their MUP program? I know that, in relation to the other NYC planning programs, it is highly practical and technical, which I what I like about it, but I'm asking more about the general reputation, especially since I'd like to move around a bit in my career.

    What do you think?

  2. #2
    Member
    Registered
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    9
    Not a lot of interest in Hunter here, eh?

    My thoughts (though I'm no expert) - If you are thinking of settling in New York, I think Hunter is a great option. If you want to leave, I would think the experience of studying/working/interning in a city like NYC should have considerable value elsewhere too. Plus the absence of debt.

    Have you heard anything re admissions yet? I haven't...

  3. #3
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    26
    No love for Hunter, it seems, ha.

    That's kinda the idea I had, regarding the school. Seems that having NYC as your laboratory will be a benefit no matter what.

    I haven't heard anything at all from admissions yet, unfortunately, and I doubt they've gone out at all since I haven't heard anything here or on gradcafe about it. My assumption is that they're pretty slow about it. My app went in before the Feb 1st deadline and I hand delivered my transcripts at that time, but the online app only reflected that they had my transcripts like 2 weeks after the deadline. So they're not moving with a real sense of urgency, I think.

  4. #4
    Member
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1
    Yeah, I have applied to the Hunter MUP program as well and I have yet to hear anything from them. I suspect they are just taking their time since I have experienced the same delay in their online application and supporting documents. I visited the school a few weeks ago just so some professors could put a face to my application and to sit in on some classes. I know they do offer some studios with NYC area governmental organizations, but the classes I observed seemed very academic based and valued research over say, a more applied and practical project-like approach. Though that could just be that I only saw a small sample of classes.

    The low tuition costs is definitely one of the reasons I am considering the program, though I don't know much about opportunities of working with professors or research centers or professional internship opportunities. Does anyone know if such opportunities are available? Additionally, does anyone know about housing options at Hunter? I assume there's not a ton of student housing around the campus given it's Midtown-East Side location. If students are expected to find their own housing then that would no doubt drive up the affordable cost of the program.

  5. #5
    I applied at kind of the last minute and it took forever for my documents to show up as accepted. I'm really hoping to get into Hunter for Fall. I was looking through old threads on here and I noticed that in previous years, people started hearing back from Hunter right about now.

  6. #6
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    26
    So it looks like it was pretty common for there to be a delay in the supporting documents appearing on the application.

    What was it like going and speaking to some professors, Placemaker? Did it feel like a lot of students had done that? The most I did was have a few email exchanges with Profs Angotti and Chin with some questions about the program as it pertains to my own background. But that was before I applied. In hindsight, I should have done the same thing as you even if it's just to reaffirm the interest.

    As far as housing goes, I thing you're right in that it's pretty limited. I'm from NYC, so it will be somewhat easier for me and I'll be coming in from Brooklyn/Queens. But for someone moving here for school, yea it does drive up the cost a bit, but I'm thinking it's still significantly cheaper than the surrounding private schools.

  7. #7
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    26
    FYI, it looks like the acceptances are beginning to roll out for Hunter. There were three posted today on grad cafe.

    So now I keep my fingers crossed. Boy, now I feel nervous.

    http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=hunter

  8. #8

    Informational Session

    I received an email yesterday informing of an "informational session" (like an open house I guess) to take place April 4th. Asked to RSVP.

    Probably doesn't help anyone, but if you're here that means you want info (and no one else has mentioned it). So just FYI.

    I should add that I received online admission notice last week, and received the formal admission letter in the post yesterday.
    Last edited by iamareyou; 28 Mar 2011 at 12:00 AM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally posted by iamareyou View post
    I received an email yesterday informing of an "informational session" (like an open house I guess) to take place April 4th. Asked to RSVP.

    Probably doesn't help anyone, but if you're here that means you want info (and no one else has mentioned it). So just FYI.

    I should add that I received online admission notice last week, and received the formal admission letter in the post yesterday.
    Thanks! Good to know. If you don't mind what were your stats.. GPA, work exp, GRE scores if you took them etc. I still have not heard back although I applied at the very last minute lol.

  10. #10
    dylan, I was going to private message you my stats, but I don't see how to do that. I don't want to post them on a public forum.

    I've added you to my friends list on the forum in hope that I may be able to then send you a private message.

  11. #11
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally posted by dylan marsh View post
    Thanks! Good to know. If you don't mind what were your stats.. GPA, work exp, GRE scores if you took them etc. I still have not heard back although I applied at the very last minute lol.
    Good to hear I'm not the only person who hasn't heard anything. I applied at the deadline myself, so maybe we are in the same pile somewhere.

  12. #12
    I also applied right at the deadline. In fact, one of my recommenders had a computer issue and did not submit until 4 days before I received my decision. So I really don't think time of submission has a thing to do with it.

    Have you tried contacting the department?

  13. #13
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally posted by iamareyou View post
    I also applied right at the deadline. In fact, one of my recommenders had a computer issue and did not submit until 4 days before I received my decision. So I really don't think time of submission has a thing to do with it.

    Have you tried contacting the department?
    Wow, that's interesting...kinda worries me a bit. I haven't tried contacting the department though I'm wondering if I should shoot admissions an email inquiring about it.

  14. #14
    I feel bad sharing information with you guys, because its main effect is probably to make you more anxious. But at the same time, I also understand wanting to know as much as possible, so I would also feel bad withholding!

    Catch-22 for us all.

  15. #15
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally posted by iamareyou View post
    I feel bad sharing information with you guys, because its main effect is probably to make you more anxious. But at the same time, I also understand wanting to know as much as possible, so I would also feel bad withholding!

    Catch-22 for us all.
    Oh don't feel bad. We're here for info, so thanks for sharing! End of the day, I feel better having some idea of what's going on than being out of the loop. In short order, we will all know where we are in this process - I'm just impatient, ha.

  16. #16
    That's ok iamaryou, I don't think you can message on this site. My facebook and Skype are in my profile though. I'm still hopeful that I got in... it is def where I want to go! It's still only March too... April is usually the standard time for admissions decisions.

  17. #17
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally posted by dylan marsh View post
    That's ok iamaryou, I don't think you can message on this site. My facebook and Skype are in my profile though. I'm still hopeful that I got in... it is def where I want to go! It's still only March too... April is usually the standard time for admissions decisions.
    Hey Dylan...not sure if you saw, but it looks like some rejections are going out too, saw one on Grad Cafe this afternoon. Still haven't heard anything on my end though. How about you?

  18. #18
    Just got mine today... not accepted. I shoulda taken the GRE!! My GPA from my previous college was probably just too low... 3.4 though at my current school though. I think the GRE's would have been a good addition.

  19. #19
    Dylan- did they notify you through e-mail or an actual letter? I've applied too, and have been anxious since finding this thread a few days ago!



    Quote Originally posted by dylan marsh View post
    Just got mine today... not accepted. I shoulda taken the GRE!! My GPA from my previous college was probably just too low... 3.4 though at my current school though. I think the GRE's would have been a good addition.

  20. #20
    Member
    Registered
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    9
    I still haven't received anything from Hunter either.

    I thought (read: hoped) today might be a big day for results, what with April (!) starting tomorrow and all.

    Also, regarding private messages - I think you may have to have a certain number of posts on this site before you get cleared for more 'advanced' features. Feel like I read that somewhere.

  21. #21
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally posted by driftwood View post
    I still haven't received anything from Hunter either.

    I thought (read: hoped) today might be a big day for results, what with April (!) starting tomorrow and all.

    Also, regarding private messages - I think you may have to have a certain number of posts on this site before you get cleared for more 'advanced' features. Feel like I read that somewhere.
    Ahh, well hopefully we hear something then - tomorrow is April and I'm wondering when they are expecting admitted students to respond by.

  22. #22
    Yes they send you and email saying:

    "Dear NAME,

    Your application decision is now available online. You can view it by logging into your online application account and clicking on the decision link on the bottom of the front page. You can access your online account with the PIN below. "

    ...then they give you your PIN and when you log on you click a link with your decision letter. I hope everyone has better luck than I!

  23. #23
    Thanks Dylan.

    I called the admissions office yesterday and was told that decisions hadn't been made yet, which is clearly not true for some people. I checked the online application page and there is nothing beyond 'application submitted'.

    I'm assuming at this point they're waiting to see who from the first round accept the offer. Has anyone gotten an official waiting list announcement?

  24. #24
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally posted by hopeful View post
    Thanks Dylan.

    I called the admissions office yesterday and was told that decisions hadn't been made yet, which is clearly not true for some people. I checked the online application page and there is nothing beyond 'application submitted'.

    I'm assuming at this point they're waiting to see who from the first round accept the offer. Has anyone gotten an official waiting list announcement?
    That's what I'm thinking. I haven't gotten a waitlist notice or anything, though it's not out of the realm of possibility that they have a 'secret' one that they're going off of now without telling anyone who's on it.

  25. #25
    Aww... I'm sure you will all hear real soon. Oh and my email came at around 11:30 AM if that helps.
    Anyone here apply to NYU Wagner for MUP as well? I'm kinda thinking/hoping I'll get in there... seems like some of the students that have been accepted already have had sub 3.0 GPA's which I am def higher than. Going to have to take the GRE's now though

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Hunter College
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 Jan 2012, 5:35 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 18 Apr 2011, 10:49 AM
  3. Hunter College
    Student Commons
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 09 Aug 2009, 11:02 PM
  4. Hunter College
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 16 Dec 2005, 3:10 PM
  5. Hunter College M.U.P.?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 May 2005, 4:03 AM