Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hunter College

Man, they're really killing me here. Anyone else hear back this week? Anyone else tried calling? For people that got in, did they give you a deadline when you need to accept by?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally posted by hopeful View post
    Man, they're really killing me here. Anyone else hear back this week? Anyone else tried calling? For people that got in, did they give you a deadline when you need to accept by?
    I know how you feel! Nothing yet for me either. I've been checking the website too, since I know some people had been accepted/rejected but never got an email, but alas, nothing. In a day or two, I may email the dept and check in. Who knows, it may help.

Last week I called the admissions office not the department, and it didn't get me anywhere. You should give them a call and post their response.

You guys must be on the waitlist. It's weird they would drag notifications out so long, especially since they had the info session Monday.

I will most likely be turning down their offer (still haven't quite made the commitment), so hopefully that will clear up a slot for one of you!

The decision deadline is April 15th (no, I don't plan to wait that long).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally posted by iamareyou View post
    You guys must be on the waitlist. It's weird they would drag notifications out so long, especially since they had the info session Monday.

I will most likely be turning down their offer (still haven't quite made the commitment), so hopefully that will clear up a slot for one of you!

The decision deadline is April 15th (no, I don't plan to wait that long).
    I think you're right about the waitlist. Well hopefully some spots open up as the April 15th deadline approaches!

Out of curiosity, where will you be going instead of Hunter?

Registered
    Mar 2008
    I got an email today from John Chin, the program director, asking us to respond ASAP to our admission offer so they could admit people on the waitlist.

I declined my admission tonight (I will be going to Rutgers), so hopefully that helps you and others in limbo! Good luck!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally posted by HM006 View post
    I got an email today from John Chin, the program director, asking us to respond ASAP to our admission offer so they could admit people on the waitlist.

I declined my admission tonight (I will be going to Rutgers), so hopefully that helps you and others in limbo! Good luck!
    Sweet, that answers my question. Keeping my fingers crossed for something positive!

I wonder how many people decline the offers from Hunter regularly. Judging by the people on this board, it seems like a safety school for a lot of people, so I'm wondering if a higher number decline the offer.

I emailed the program's director and he responded that I had indeed been wait listed. They will start notifying people as spots open up until maximum enrollment is reached. So yeah, basically what was expected, but it was nice to have it confirmed.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    I emailed the program's director and he responded that I had indeed been wait listed. They will start notifying people as spots open up until maximum enrollment is reached. So yeah, basically what was expected, but it was nice to have it confirmed.
    You probably received the same email this morning, but for those who are interested, John Chin, the program director, sent out an email informing those of us who still haven't heard anything that we are on the wait list. He apologized for the wait, thanked us for our patience and asked that anyone who has already decided not to attend Hunter to send him an email so they can get through the wait list faster.

I'm debating sending him an email simply reaffirming Hunter as my first choice, that if accepted, I will definitely be going there in the fall and just mentioning that I have accepted a research fellowship at a transportation policy nonprofit (I got it after the application went out and couldn't update it). Does that make sense?

Makes a ton of sense. You probably should have written them earlier about the fellowship; you couldn't change the application itself, but you could've informed those deciding of a relevant change to your credentials.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally posted by iamareyou View post
    Makes a ton of sense. You probably should have written them earlier about the fellowship; you couldn't change the application itself, but you could've informed those deciding of a relevant change to your credentials.
    You're probably right, I should have notified them earlier. In any rate, I emailed Dr. Chin back and thanked him for the update, reaffirmed my intent to attend Hunter if I'm admitted and I told him about the fellowship. We'll see if it helps!

Anyone previously on the waitlist hear from the department about acceptance yet? Let us know either way, please!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Anyone previously on the waitlist hear from the department about acceptance yet? Let us know either way, please!
    Nothing yet, though I did email Dr. Chin last week to simply reaffirm my intent to go to Hunter and to give him some information on the fellowship I'm in now. He got back to me thanking me for the new info and that I would hear something by this Wednesday and to let him know if I didn't...so it seems to be close!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Got an email this morning with my admissions decision. I'm in!

So keep an eye out for decisions today.

I still haven't heard back. I just emailed Dr. Chin to check in and to again state my interest. Anyone else checking this still waiting to hear back. Anyone who was previously on the waiting list get rejected yet?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    So now that it seems that everyone's schools have been decided, is anyone else starting at Hunter in the fall? Would be great to 'meet' some people before school starts.

It was a late decision, but I ended up being accepted!

I still have to figure out relocating from DC to NYC (any leads on affordable housing would be appreciated!), finishing up work and trying to see if I can continue on at my organization remotely part-time. With that said, if there's a more formal meet and greet before we start I'll be sure to make it. If the program doesn't tend to do that, maybe we can set up our own?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    It was a late decision, but I ended up being accepted!

I still have to figure out relocating from DC to NYC (any leads on affordable housing would be appreciated!), finishing up work and trying to see if I can continue on at my organization remotely part-time. With that said, if there's a more formal meet and greet before we start I'll be sure to make it. If the program doesn't tend to do that, maybe we can set up our own?
    Congrats! That's good news.

I'll shoot you a PM about NYC, since I'm born and raised here, hopefully I can point you in the right direction.

I'd be down for getting together before the school year starts if the department doesn't plan anything. Hopefully they do though!

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Hunter College
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 Jan 2012, 5:35 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 18 Apr 2011, 10:49 AM
  3. Hunter College
    Student Commons
    Replies: 15